VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 11:20:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, if Bray leaves after this year who will be thought of as the more  (Read 5883 times)
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:20:27 EST »

disappointing UT quarterback, Bray or Crompton? I'd have to vote for Bray. At least Crompton beat UGA and South Carolina.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:22:30 EST »

disappointing UT quarterback, Bray or Crompton? I'd have to vote for Bray. At least Crompton beat UGA and South Carolina.

Bray all stats,no wins

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:57:23 EST »

Disappointing QB? Dude is putting up Heisman-like numbers. 29 Tds, 3216 yards passing in 10 games. He can't go out there and make tackles, or coach the team. Had we even had a defense like last year, we would be talking about Bray in the Heisman race, and right now we're about 8-2

Blame the disappointment on horrible defense, blame it on terrible coaching, but don't blame it on Bray. That's silly.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:36:39 EST »

Disappointing QB? Dude is putting up Heisman-like numbers. 29 Tds, 3216 yards passing in 10 games. He can't go out there and make tackles, or coach the team. Had we even had a defense like last year, we would be talking about Bray in the Heisman race, and right now we're about 8-2

Blame the disappointment on horrible defense, blame it on terrible coaching, but don't blame it on Bray. That's silly.

Yes, but silly is what fans do best. If fans were rational, Casey Clausen would be widely regarded as one of the best QBs in UT history.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:46:09 EST »

Bray is an arrogant jerk, though.  How can you have such a crappy win/loss record and be so arrogant?
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 03:57:49 EST »

Crompton wasn't even close to the natural talent of Bray, but he hung in and did his best. He also seemed to be a pretty nice guy, where as not so much for Bray. 
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:19:39 EST »

Bray has better numbers, nobody will argue that. It is the lack of wins he has produced with those numbers that is disappointing. Also the lack of maturity with all of his talent that is disappointing. I know the defense has been terrible by historical proportions, and that the recievers have had more than their share of drops. However, this year alone Bray had the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game at MSU, USCe, and UGA (multiple chances). The offense was equally as dissapointing in the last 20 minutes of the Florida game as the defense. Throw in the stinker against Kentucky last year (I know, he was sick) and the overall mediocre play against the upper half of the SEC and it just adds up to a lot of disappointment. Crompton was actually higher rated than Bray comoing out of HS but overall I'd still have to say he was less of a dissapointment than Bray, although I don't think there is an obvious correct answer, which is why I asked the question. The QB gets more credit than he should after a win and more blame after a loss, and maybe that has gotten unfairly compounded for Bray after losing 7 SEC games in a row.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 04:30:41 EST »

Bray has better numbers, nobody will argue that. It is the lack of wins he has produced with those numbers that is disappointing. Also the lack of maturity with all of his talent that is disappointing. I know the defense has been terrible by historical proportions, and that the recievers have had more than their share of drops. However, this year alone Bray had the ball in his hands with a chance to win the game at MSU, USCe, and UGA (multiple chances). The offense was equally as dissapointing in the last 20 minutes of the Florida game as the defense. Throw in the stinker against Kentucky last year (I know, he was sick) and the overall mediocre play against the upper half of the SEC and it just adds up to a lot of disappointment. Crompton was actually higher rated than Bray comoing out of HS but overall I'd still have to say he was less of a dissapointment than Bray, although I don't think there is an obvious correct answer, which is why I asked the question. The QB gets more credit than he should after a win and more blame after a loss, and maybe that has gotten unfairly compounded for Bray after losing 7 SEC games in a row.

I don't know about his maturity, but you can't win many games when your defense keeps allowing 50 points every game. The disappointment isn't on Bray. It's on this staff and the defense

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 04:31:49 EST »

Bray is an arrogant jerk, though.  How can you have such a crappy win/loss record and be so arrogant?

I don't know that he's arrogant, or a jerk. Have never met him. I know he's probably a somewhat immature 20-21 year old college kid.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 04:34:53 EST »

Crompton wasn't even close to the natural talent of Bray, but he hung in and did his best. He also seemed to be a pretty nice guy, where as not so much for Bray. 

Crompton was horrible. Kiffin simplified it as best as he could for him and he was ok his senior year after the Auburn game. His senior year...

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 04:40:30 EST »

I've seen many people refer to this offense as our best ever.  And maybe that's true statistically.  But the difference between this unit and those of the early and mid 90's is, this offense HAS to score as many points as possible.  The lack of defense mandates it.  Those Kelly/Shuler/Manning-led teams would frequently have the game won by halftime and call off the dogs late.  If, say, our 97 offense with Manning, Lewis, Nash, Price, etc. never took their foot off the gas, what kind of numbers would they have put up?  They would have set some SEC records, I'm guessing.

Now in Bray's defense, that must be some unbelievable pressure, knowing that you HAVE to score on every possession.  

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 04:47:54 EST »

QB is getting too much of the blame. The last three weeks Tyler Bray has 1302 yards, 13 TDs, and 1 INT.

I think Bray is overrated but it drives me crazy that people compare him to Crompton. Bray is good, not great. Crompton was a bust.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 04:50:18 EST »

Because the UT defense is so bad, Bray cannot be fairly judged. If this year's defense was allowing 30 points a game, UT would be 8-2. 30 points a game is considered poor defense. But we're allowing an average of 37 points a game; 43.66 points a game in our losses.

It's pretty tough to tell a QB to put up 44 points a game or you're going to lose.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 04:51:57 EST »

Because the UT defense is so bad, Bray cannot be fairly judged. If this year's defense was allowing 30 points a game, UT would be 8-2. 30 points a game is considered poor defense. But we're allowing an average of 37 points a game; 43.66 points a game in our losses.

It's pretty tough to tell a QB to put up 44 points a game or you're going to lose.

His mistakes are magnified because he has to be perfect to even have a chance at winning.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 04:52:39 EST »

I've seen many people refer to this offense as our best ever.  And maybe that's true statistically.  But the difference between this unit and those of the early and mid 90's is, this offense HAS to score as many points as possible.  The lack of defense mandates it.  Those Kelly/Shuler/Manning-led teams would frequently have the game won by halftime and call off the dogs late.  If, say, our 97 offense with Manning, Lewis, Nash, Price, etc. never took their foot off the gas, what kind of numbers would they have put up?  They would have set some SEC records, I'm guessing.

Now in Bray's defense, that must be some unbelievable pressure, knowing that you HAVE to score on every possession.  

That has been a problem. It makes you press, and make mistakes. It has led to interceptions and turnovers late in games

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 04:58:02 EST »

I have no problems with Bray whatsoever.  Far better QB than Crompton.  IMO, best passing QB since Peyton.

I have had issues with his attitude in the past, but he has seemed mature and focused the last two games.  He even has a near crew cut, which I find amazing.  Used to have that long hippie California hair.   

I really hope he comes back.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Quasi EVol
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 05:36:32 EST »

It's even tougher to tell a QB to put up 52 points or you're going to lose in "Neylan Staium." (No "d")
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: