VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 05:45:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So with the preseason coaches' poll out  (Read 6107 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:45 EDT »

I think we can officially declare people with expectations of 8-9 wins out of their fizzleing minds. We already knew this, but I think this cements it.

I mean . . . is there a remote chance we knock one of these teams off? Sure. But even if we did that we'd have to sweep Vandy, Auburn, and Missouri to get to 8 wins which is a tall task in itself.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/1/4578226/college-football-rankings-2013-coaches-poll-top-25

1. Alabama
3. Oregon
5. Georgia
7. South Carolina
10. Florida

FWIW, we are in the others receiving with 1 point; Vandy is in there with 27 points.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:46:32 EDT »

Blarg....that's a hefty dose of reality after riding a recruiting high.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 07:22:01 EDT »

No surprise there. We've known what we know since the end of last season: This season's schedule is brutal, we lost our entire offense and we have basically the same team as last year. Minus that offense.

Reality accepted.

Just get better. Don't quit. Keep building.

I swear that the first time a member of the Legion of the Miserable posts here complaining that we didn't beat Oregon or Alabama, etc., etc. I will delete their post immediately. After a proper old man scolding. 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:42:13 EDT »

The reality of where the team is for this season is what it is (hate that saying, but it fits) and we can't expect 8 wins.... 7 is pushing it.  However, I do think we are experiencing a special time in Tennessee football.  I've been optimistic with the other dud hires we made, but Butch is proving to be getting us on the right track.  I'm more optimistic than I've been in a long time about the direction of the team; the alternate mindset is just too painful.

Here's to a season that may not be the best, but shows us glimmers of the bright future of Tennessee football. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:49:46 EDT »

I can live with 4-8 5-7 if we play hard and don't look inept in our schemes and adjustments. However I think there is just enough talent if we execute well and get some bounces we could get 6-6 and if truly lucky get to 7-5. Luck follows effort and preparation......so I expect to have some better luck this year. That is not meant to say I expect 7-5, but I do think dooleys bad luck was well earned.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:08:56 EDT »

While I agree that it is tough that 5 teams we play are in the top 10, let's also remember that this is a pre-season poll.  There have been times where teams were picked high pre-season and have falling on their butts during the season, i.e. Bama the year they started preseason top 5 and ended with a losing season, UT started preseason top 5 and ended with a losing record, USC started preseason #1 last year and look what they did.  The preseason poll is just that.  Surprises do occur in college football each year.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:33:38 EDT »

Here's to a season that may not be the best, but shows us glimmers of the bright future of Tennessee football. 

I think you're just making excuses to drink.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 09:39:02 EDT »

Here's to Vinnie! 

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:51:35 EDT »

I don't need no stinkin' excuses!
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:26 EDT »

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the toughest schedule Tennessee has had since 1990. With that said, I think Georgia at No. 5 is a joke and I'm certainly not sold on Oregon being No. 3. There's too much uncertainty there, IMO, to put any team with a new head coach that high in the preseason poll. I don't think Tennessee wins at Oregon (and certainly not at Alabama) but I've got Georgia and South Carolina on my list of possible upsets.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:19:46 EDT »

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the toughest schedule Tennessee has had since 1990. With that said, I think Georgia at No. 5 is a joke and I'm certainly not sold on Oregon being No. 3. There's too much uncertainty there, IMO, to put any team with a new head coach that high in the preseason poll. I don't think Tennessee wins at Oregon (and certainly not at Alabama) but I've got Georgia and South Carolina on my list of possible upsets.
I agree both are possible.  We played both very close on the road last year with a red cape for a defense (should have beat the pups IMO). We trade the red cape for a defense and hopefully we can have a reasonable offense.  Both are possible at home.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:34:42 EDT »

With just an ounce of Defense last year, we would have been bowling.  My glaring ORANGE tinted glasses are only showing me a drastic change (in a good way) for our VOLS this year.  If not, thank God I own a Liquor Store!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 03:20:06 EDT »

I'm as optimistic as anyone, but I don't see us winning 8 without a bowl win.

I do think we can knock off USCe at home, but I don't see us sweeping all the rest.

Would love to be wrong though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 04:07:57 EDT »

Georgia's #5 ranking is precarious at best. Three of their first four games are against Clemson, South Carolina and LSU. That doesn't mean UGA won't be good, but if they get off to a bad start you wonder how things will go from there.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 08:32:35 EDT »

Open at the rat tiglets

Oh and you forgot to mention that their 5th game was in Neyland 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 08:40:26 EDT »

honest and our D is much improved from last year I think we have a decent chance to knock of the Dawgs as they'll have been on some very tough road trips and could very well be licking their wounds as well as beat up when they come into Neyland. We could really use a win over one of the teams that have taken our position in the top tier of the SEC and Ga appears to me to be the most realistic team....plus the pusses. 
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 09:47:20 EDT »

I think we can officially declare people with expectations of 8-9 wins out of their fizzleing minds. We already knew this, but I think this cements it.

I mean . . . is there a remote chance we knock one of these teams off? Sure. But even if we did that we'd have to sweep Vandy, Auburn, and Missouri to get to 8 wins which is a tall task in itself.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/1/4578226/college-football-rankings-2013-coaches-poll-top-25

1. Alabama
3. Oregon
5. Georgia
7. South Carolina
10. Florida

FWIW, we are in the others receiving with 1 point; Vandy is in there with 27 points.

I'm raising a glass to whoever gave us that one vote for #25.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: