VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 08:33:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, Florida only puts 24 on the board against a pretty hapless UK team  (Read 3786 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:54:48 EDT »

Pretty much confirms what we should've known: Despite what some UT fans and many UF fans thought after last week's game, Murphy is exactly what he is -- a former 2-star recruit who did not catch the eye of many college programs. He can be an average QB but probably not a great one. Not surprisingly, UT's defense made him look quite a bit better than he'll actually be as this season plays out.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:00:48 EDT »

Btw, I know a lot of Gators are thrilled with his performance today (he did complete 15 of 18 passes, but primarily short, safe stuff) and they're saying that Boom Muschamp called off the dogs with a 21-7 lead at the half. Smells more like blind optimism and hope than anything.
Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:04:26 EDT »

Did you watch the game? Murphy played great, other than a bad pick that he saved from being a pick 6 (and which the D got him the ball back shortly.) We never punted the entire game.

We had three offensive drives in the second half -- 12 plays, 7:01 that ended in the above interception -- 15 plays 7:38 that ended in a field goal -- and 6 plays 4:14 that ended the game. That is called ball possession and strangle-holding the game. 

I do realize the above was against Kentucky, but to suggest we weren't impressive because we didn't score "enough" points shows you don't understand what UF's trying to do on offense.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 09:54:37 EDT »

Did you watch the game? Murphy played great, other than a bad pick that he saved from being a pick 6 (and which the D got him the ball back shortly.) We never punted the entire game.

We had three offensive drives in the second half -- 12 plays, 7:01 that ended in the above interception -- 15 plays 7:38 that ended in a field goal -- and 6 plays 4:14 that ended the game. That is called ball possession and strangle-holding the game. 

I do realize the above was against Kentucky, but to suggest we weren't impressive because we didn't score "enough" points shows you don't understand what UF's trying to do on offense.

If we had done that yesterday instead of letting Worley throw it all over the yard when we were up big and getting picks we would have won by 24 plus points and our azzes wouldn't have been so puckered up the last 2 minutes...

Ball control can be a good thing!!!
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:24:08 EDT »

Yes I did. And I understand perfectly well what Florida is trying to do on offense. Muschamp's hope has to be that his D will continue to play well enough to allow that to work. We shall see. In the meantime, Murphy is a very average QB. Bias allows us to see things with less clarity than perhaps we should. I remember you guys making a strong case for why Manning can no longer win, while most UT fans thought Lane Kiffin hung the moon a few years ago.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:01:57 EDT »

Louisville scored 27 on UK. Their defense has played ok.

Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:32 EDT »

Yes I did. And I understand perfectly well what Florida is trying to do on offense. Muschamp's hope has to be that his D will continue to play well enough to allow that to work. We shall see. In the meantime, Murphy is a very average QB.

I never said Murphy is an All American, but so far he is playing as well as a Gator fan could hope for. Since he took over, UF has been 7 for 7 scoring in the red zone with 6 TDs. We'll see how he does against better competition, but to this point he's been great.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 07:03:04 EDT »

I never said Murphy is an All American, but so far he is playing as well as a Gator fan could hope for. Since he took over, UF has been 7 for 7 scoring in the red zone with 6 TDs. We'll see how he does against better competition, but to this point he's been great.

I don't think there's any doubt he fits what Muschamp is trying to do better than Driskel did. Creek's observation about the strategy is reasonable though. Doing only enough on offense to let the defense get wins for you leaves you very vulnerable to a handful of mistakes costing you a game (Miami). I think some Gator fans agree with this sentiment, and UT has definitely been there before.

But the UF defense is really, really good. I am really curious how UGA and LSU will fare against UF.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:03:55 EDT »

I don't think there's any doubt he fits what Muschamp is trying to do better than Driskel did. Creek's observation about the strategy is reasonable though. Doing only enough on offense to let the defense get wins for you leaves you very vulnerable to a handful of mistakes costing you a game (Miami). I think some Gator fans agree with this sentiment, and UT has definitely been there before.

But the UF defense is really, really good. I am really curious how UGA and LSU will fare against UF.

I completely agree with that. The fact we slow the game down and get fewer possessions means we have to be very efficient on offense. My original point of disagreement was that "only" scoring 24 against UK meant our QB wasn't playing well.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:06 EDT »

Its all about perspective......I thought the original post was more about our defense than your offense.

I completely agree with that. The fact we slow the game down and get fewer possessions means we have to be very efficient on offense. My original point of disagreement was that "only" scoring 24 against UK meant our QB wasn't playing well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: