VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 10:13:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So we're really supposed to believe that ND is a top 4 team in America?  (Read 2452 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2021, 12:35:49 EST »

They're not even the best team in Indiana, FFS.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 01:46:42 EST »

Hide and watch...they will be back there next year. Shows how dumb the committee is. It's all about TV ratings.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 01:54:19 EST »

Hide and watch...they will be back there next year. Shows how dumb the committee is. It's all about TV ratings.

Them and OU. They got left out this year- it won't happen again anytime soon. Heaven forbid they don't get the opportunity to be on the business end of another 4 TD beatdown.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 04:00:48 EST »

7 years, 28 playoff slots- 22 of which have been filled by Bammer, Clemson, OSU, ND, and OU.

Expand it.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 05:01:38 EST »

I'll argue with expansion. We get enough lousy games as is.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 05:34:19 EST »

Most argued OSU didn't belong....They have manhandled Clemson.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 05:41:32 EST »

If I was in charge:
  • eight 16-team conferences.  That's 128 teams (I think there are currently 130 division I teams so two would have to go),
  • two divisions in each conference
  • each division champ would be determined by division-only records
  • the two division champions play for the conference championship
  • the 8 conference champions are the playoff teams.

That puts the entire issue on the playing field.  There is no human interpretation other than officiating.  You win the championship on the field of play.

This also could make it more likely that top recruits would be willing to choose schools that now have no chance at signing those athletes (spread the wealth).  As it stands now, the cream of the recruiting crop typically chooses one of the top 3, 4, or 5 schools because those are the only options to play for the national championship.

Pipe dream, I know.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:55:10 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 06:13:02 EST »

Most argued OSU didn't belong....They have manhandled Clemson.

I'm of two minds about that. No one sane would argue that OSU wasn't good enough. They were my pick to win it all in the preseason, and I still think they will. But they haven't played two weeks in a row since 10/31-11/7. The CFB season (at least in strong conferences) is about surviving the week-in, week-out grind. By the time you reach the end, you're probably beaten down with aches and pains, if you even made it that far without injury. OSU has stayed fresh, thanks to that schedule. HUGE advantage for them.

I realize that this year is an outlier, and these circumstances (hopefully) will never happen again. But if OSU wins, it will come with an asterisk in my mind. Even though I think they're the best team.

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 01:54:18 EST »

The ACC did not belong. What a garbage football conference.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 06:48:01 EST »

There were 3-5 SEC teams that would give Bama a better game than ND. It is supposed to be the four best teams. Period. We knew this would happen. How can you be a 18pt underdog and be one of 4 best teams?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 03:38:05 EST »

There were 3-5 SEC teams that would give Bama a better game than ND. It is supposed to be the four best teams. Period. We knew this would happen. How can you be a 18pt underdog and be one of 4 best teams?

Which ones were they, other than Florida? Bama beat the rest of them down just as badly as ND, and that includes Georgia, LSU and particularly LSU.

Ole Miss got close, but every top team usually has an off game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 03:44:06 EST »

If I was in charge:
  • eight 16-team conferences.  That's 128 teams (I think there are currently 130 division I teams so two would have to go),
  • two divisions in each conference
  • each division champ would be determined by division-only records
  • the two division champions play for the conference championship
  • the 8 conference champions are the playoff teams.

That puts the entire issue on the playing field.  There is no human interpretation other than officiating.  You win the championship on the field of play.

This also could make it more likely that top recruits would be willing to choose schools that now have no chance at signing those athletes (spread the wealth).  As it stands now, the cream of the recruiting crop typically chooses one of the top 3, 4, or 5 schools because those are the only options to play for the national championship.

Pipe dream, I know.

That's a great idea I think and I have had similar thoughts but I would split it into two 64 team divisions and have 4 16 team conferences. You would have to dismantle one of the P5 conferances and spread its teams around, probably the  B12. First round of playoff is conference championships.

Your plan would also be good. For the record there are 127 teams, so you would have to promote one.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 03:45:50 EST »

I'm of two minds about that. No one sane would argue that OSU wasn't good enough. They were my pick to win it all in the preseason, and I still think they will. But they haven't played two weeks in a row since 10/31-11/7. The CFB season (at least in strong conferences) is about surviving the week-in, week-out grind. By the time you reach the end, you're probably beaten down with aches and pains, if you even made it that far without injury. OSU has stayed fresh, thanks to that schedule. HUGE advantage for them.

I realize that this year is an outlier, and these circumstances (hopefully) will never happen again. But if OSU wins, it will come with an asterisk in my mind. Even though I think they're the best team.

I also thought about the wear and tear thing. Definitely an advantage for OSU. Hoping the dismantle the turds. 😝
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:11:00 EST by BanditVol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 05:16:21 EST »

Why not just use the BCS ratings and take the top 8 teams no matter what conference they are in. What argument can you have if you don't make it? Should the 9th ranked team be in the national title hunt?

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 05:51:06 EST »

They're not even the best team in Indiana, FFS.
I guess Ole Miss proved otherwise.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 05:54:46 EST »

Why not just use the BCS ratings and take the top 8 teams no matter what conference they are in. What argument can you have if you don't make it? Should the 9th ranked team be in the national title hunt?

I prefer the idea of winning it on the field, not leaving it up to human voting. 

In my thinking, if you are not your conference champion you shouldn't be the national champion.  But hey, that's just me.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 06:00:32 EST »

I prefer the idea of winning it on the field, not leaving it up to human voting. 

In my thinking, if you are not your conference champion you shouldn't be the national champion.  But hey, that's just me.
But its about the best teams getting in. What makes you think the second best team in a tough conference is not one of the four best? Who will give Bama a better game than UF did? All conferences are not the same and you shouldn't punish a team for being in a tough conference. I believe UF, UGa and aTm would have given Bama a better game than ND did at this time of the season.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 06:24:32 EST »

But its about the best teams getting in. What makes you think the second best team in a tough conference is not one of the four best? Who will give Bama a better game than UF did? All conferences are not the same and you shouldn't punish a team for being in a tough conference. I believe UF, UGa and aTm would have given Bama a better game than ND did at this time of the season.

Perception is reality.  Ever read the Allegory of the Cave, by Plato? 

It depends on what you want the national champion to represent, in my view.  Do you want the national champion to represent the team that defeated every team necessary to be the champion, or do you want the national champion to be the best of what pollsters think are the best teams?

I would prefer to have it decided on the playing field.  I would prefer that you win your conference and then win a playoff involving all other conference champions.  Will the 8 best teams always be in the playoff?  Most likely the answer to that question is NO, but all 8 teams will have earned their spot through their play on the field - not determined by a media personalities and/or coaches submitting ballots.

I also think that it would provide opportunities for teams other than the elite in college football to recruit more 4* and 5* talent.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 07:05:32 EST »

I want the four best teams. So if UGa and Bama are undefeated going into the SECCg you don't think the loser is one of the four best teams even though they are not a conference champion? Look at UGa vs Cincy. Lots of folks argued for Cincy to be in the playoff. UGa was about the fourth best team in the SEC. They beat Cincy. Did Cincy deserve a playoff bid? No. They were a conference champ but about 5 SEC teams would beat them. If you went by conference champs they would be in the playoff and those better teams in the SEC wouldn't be. Is that really what you want?

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 09:14:33 EST »

I want the four best teams. So if UGa and Bama are undefeated going into the SECCg you don't think the loser is one of the four best teams even though they are not a conference champion? Look at UGa vs Cincy. Lots of folks argued for Cincy to be in the playoff. UGa was about the fourth best team in the SEC. They beat Cincy. Did Cincy deserve a playoff bid? No. They were a conference champ but about 5 SEC teams would beat them. If you went by conference champs they would be in the playoff and those better teams in the SEC wouldn't be. Is that really what you want?

Don't try to put words in my mouth.  I never said that the four best teams would be represented in the model that I would favor.  They would all be deserving, though, because they played their way in to the playoff.  That's my opinion.  If you disagree, that is fine.  I can respect that.  You seem to be attempting to devalue my view because it doesn't match yours.  You want what you think are the four best teams to play for the title - fine, I understand that.  You are entitled to that opinion.

What you think are the four best teams are likely different from what many other people would suggest were the four best (I would actually use eight teams, not four).  Because you think that they are the four best doesn't make them so.  What a group of sports writers or coaches vote as the four best teams will not necessarily represent the four best teams, either.  It's all about perspective.

If UGA and UA play for the SEC championship, they both have a shot at the playoff.  If they want to get in, they need to win their conference championship.  That's my view.  I think that every conference champion needs to have an opportunity to play for the title.  In my view, they earned that right with their conference championship.

Do most people agree with my opinion?  I have no way of knowing that, but I would say 'probably not'.  Doesn't change my view - and doesn't necessarily make them right (I'm also not suggesting that I am 'right').

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 09:16:25 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 10:13:00 EST »

Perception is reality.  Ever read the Allegory of the Cave, by Plato?  

Did you really just ask  Volsboy that question?  

BTW I do like that part of Plato.  Not that I have ever comprehensively read Plato, but I have read that part.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:28:25 EST by BanditVol » Logged

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 10:58:57 EST »

Plato was a very strange fellow, I would say, from reading just a small amount of his stuff. About this, however, he was correct I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: