VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 09:21:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baylor ROBBED in Women's tourney  (Read 932 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2021, 03:16:00 EDT »

Down one with the ball, absolutely mugged on a shot, not called.

On the one hand, I have to admit it was very poor shot selection, up against two trees about a foot higher each than the Baylor player.  Could easily have pulled up and tried a mid range jumper.  It's even possible the intent was to draw foul, and if so, you can't count on getting those late in a big game in any sport.

Having said that, the foul was so bad it should have been called.  It was sickening to hear the color announcer REBECCA LOBO at first state there was no foul, but even she had to recant on seeing a second replay, but still made excuses for the ref.

The only fault I assign to Baylor is if they tried that shot expecting a foul call, that was not wise.  But regardless, UCONN got away with murder.  Almost literally.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 04:10:51 EDT »

Just not going to get a whistle in that situation and more so on that shot selection....The Baylor girl leaned into the UConn girls trying to draw the foul....The mistake was the play....should have had one of the guards drive the lane to the rim....in that situation the refs are more incline to call a foul. It was like that Baylor player was hell bent on taking the last shot......If that same play had happened with 2 minutes left in the game the refs would probably call a foul 90% of the time....The 19-0 run UConn had after the Baylor girl went down with her hamstring was a killer.....Baylor's defense wasn't the same after she went out.

It was a good game with 2 very good teams going at it...both teams with talent out the backside...UConn will beat either of Ind or AZ by double figures.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:23:49 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 05:32:40 EDT »

I didn’t watch, so I can’t comment on that play. What I will say is that the whistle should be exactly the same at the end of the game as it was for the entirety of the game. As a coach, that was always so frustrating.

It’s also the reason that I hate the NCAA rules that allow reviews during the last two minutes of each half that aren’t reviewable in the rest of the game. We always taught out players that ever play is important.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 06:05:03 EDT »

There were several calls in the game that weren't made....For the most part they let them play. On the last play for Baylor....if it had been a guard driving to the rim and got the same contact it most likely would have been called.

Foul that wasn't:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/sports/ncaabasketball/uconn-baylor-foul.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:33:26 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 12:35:35 EDT »

Just not going to get a whistle in that situation and more so on that shot selection....The Baylor girl leaned into the UConn girls trying to draw the foul....The mistake was the play....should have had one of the guards drive the lane to the rim....in that situation the refs are more incline to call a foul. It was like that Baylor player was hell bent on taking the last shot......If that same play had happened with 2 minutes left in the game the refs would probably call a foul 90% of the time....The 19-0 run UConn had after the Baylor girl went down with her hamstring was a killer.....Baylor's defense wasn't the same after she went out.

It was a good game with 2 very good teams going at it...both teams with talent out the backside...UConn will beat either of Ind or AZ by double figures.

Agree the shot selection was stupid (I said so in my OP) and that the Baylor girl should have known not to expect a call in that sitch.

But oh man...that was definitely a foul!   

Also agree that they let them play the whole game, but that should have been called IMO, late in a big game or not.

And Aeriamma (sp?) can blow it out his arse.  fizzle that guy.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: