VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:18:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off topic, on giving cellphones to kids  (Read 15334 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:44 EDT »

Those of you with kids in their preteen years, did you give your kid a cell phone?  I have told my 11 yr old daughter that she will get one when she starts middle school next year. I've noticed some of her friends carry cell phones, but they can't take them to school, and they tend to lose things because they're not quite that responsible yet.

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:10 EDT »

Those of you with kids in their preteen years, did you give your kid a cell phone?  I have told my 11 yr old daughter that she will get one when she starts middle school next year. I've noticed some of her friends carry cell phones, but they can't take them to school, and they tend to lose things because they're not quite that responsible yet.

I think you are pretty much dead on with your thinking.  Our kids got cells when they started middle school.  Once they get to that age they are more active, are in more need of having one to be in contact with parents. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:33:41 EDT »

I am not sure yet. There are good reasons for it but it opens up a lot of dangers too.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:31 EDT »

I am not sure yet. There are good reasons for it but it opens up a lot of dangers too.

what dangers are you thinking? Boys? texting too much?
101stDad
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:37:15 EDT »

Yep, you need to be sure you block unnecessary options and monitor the calls that are being made.  You should have the option of checking all activity online.  

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:05 EDT »

what dangers are you thinking? Boys? texting too much?

Boys are a danger with or without a cell phone. Texting and camera phones (i.e. picture messaging) are the danger to me. People send things via text etc that they would've never written in a letter or said verbally without it or done otherwise. I know adults who can't handle it.

None of us can shelter our kids forever but I'm just not sure about cell phones for my preteen. Your mileage may vary.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 05:39:44 EDT »

Yep, you need to be sure you block unnecessary options and monitor the calls that are being made.  You should have the option of checking all activity online.  

Yep, that's probably what I will end up doing but I may make my kids wait a little longer than the normal kid just to have a phone.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:20 EDT »

You know what kills me? Parents who will let their 9 and 10 year old kids have a facebook acct. I know people who set their kids up with FB accounts and falsify the birth date so they can sign up.     
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 05:59:35 EDT »

None of us can shelter our kids forever but I'm just not sure about cell phones for my preteen. Your mileage may vary.

I'm not sure about it either. My older one is mature and level headed, so I feel she can handle it, but you're right about the dangers and I'm not real comfortable with giving her one next year.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:06:12 EDT »

Oh my! Are we seeing a little bit of *gasp* "OLD SOUL" coming out here? 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 06:12:05 EDT »

No, you're just seeing "dad of 2 daughters" coming out. We're pretty much Universal on that one 
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 06:13:42 EDT »

No, you're just seeing "dad of 2 daughters" coming out. We're pretty much Universal on that one 

Stay out of it.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:17:36 EDT »

Stay out of it.

Buddy, I am knee deep in it! 

And I have seen pics of your beautiful daughter. You'll be knee deep in it too. 
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 06:45:19 EDT »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16044093/ns/business-consumer_news/t/stay-connected-best-cell-phones-children/#.ToNObtSA0fw

I know AT&T also has a limited access phone, not sure about T-Mobile.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 07:06:27 EDT »

If there's a way to block camera usage that's where problems really creep in. Also, having the kids turn in the phone at "x" time each night can help.

If their friends ask why a text sent late wasn't returned just have the kid say "Mom and Dad are really uncool". That helps them feel better.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
10EC
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 07:45:23 EDT »

I may make my kids wait a little longer than the normal kid just to have a phone.

This is me.  I struggle trying to understand why they "need" it.  Just because other kids have it?

Now, the need to get ahold of your kids at any time.... I guess I can somewhat get, but I survived w/o a cell....
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:01:27 EDT »

I am absolutely an old soul when it comes to my kids. I don't expose them to most of the music I listen to or any of my other bad adult habits... cigars, alcohol, R rated movies, etc. 

101stDad
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:27 EDT »

If there's a way to block camera usage that's where problems really creep in. Also, having the kids turn in the phone at "x" time each night can help.

If their friends ask why a text sent late wasn't returned just have the kid say "Mom and Dad are really uncool". That helps them feel better.

You can block photo messages with Verizon.  I have to believe that you can with most carriers, as well. 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 09:34:49 EDT »

I am absolutely an old soul when it comes to my kids. I don't expose them to most of the music I listen to or any of my other bad adult habits... cigars, alcohol, R rated movies, etc. 

FIFY
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:10 EDT »

This is me.  I struggle trying to understand why they "need" it.  Just because other kids have it?

Now, the need to get ahold of your kids at any time.... I guess I can somewhat get, but I survived w/o a cell....

we all survived without a cell, and still could. It just makes things easier and more convenient.

Quasi EVol
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51:58 EDT »

we all survived without a cell, and still could. It just makes things easier and more convenient.

We also survived without fire.  It just makes things easier and more convenient. 

I have three daughters, and believe me when I say the drama only gets worse as they get older.  Then things get better really quick after they get kids of their own & start to think & speak like their parents! 
10EC
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 12:20:15 EDT »

In what ways easier for a teenager?  Other then reaching you?
UT Mom
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 04:56:35 EDT »

No they don't need cell phones until they drive.  Only get one earlier if they are spoiled or nag parents "everyone else has one".
If there is a large group or crowd then one parent keeps their phone, and the child takes the other parents phone for that occasion.
That's my feelings and I'm sticking to it. Spoil the child and raise an adult, who thinks they can have everything for the asking.

10EC
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 01:55:11 EDT »

No they don't need cell phones until they drive. 

Speaking of driving and cell phones.... A couple of years ago, my next door neighbor's daughter was texting and driving.  Drove into cove lake and drown.

I think it is worse then drunk driving.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 04:00:12 EDT »

In what ways easier for a teenager?  Other then reaching you?

None. I am speaking in general. Like I said, I am not fully comfortable with giving her one next year. I kinda wish I hadn't told her I would.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: