VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 08:43:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of corners being backed into on this board re: Petrino  (Read 15035 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:10:50 EDT »

The last few years should have taught all of you that anything is possible with UT football... just sayin. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:15:23 EDT »

The last few years should have taught all of you that anything is possible with UT football... just sayin. 
I don't see Hart even speaking to the individual in question, just saying

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:18:42 EDT »

My deepest hope is that he goes to Kentucky and we keep Dooley.  I hate Clay Travis...he is all about shoving Bobby Petrino down our throat (no pun intended).
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:28:54 EDT »

I'm pumped about this year. If we stink in 3 months then I'll worry about something else.  Sure I'm nervous and don't know how things will play out, but I'm giving everyone a chance.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:30:14 EDT »

I don't see Hart even speaking to the individual in question, just saying

I don't know one way or another but I see two good Vol fans saying they would stop rooting for UT if he were hired... he is the best coach on the market, and has never broken NCAA rules... with the state of UT football these days, I just don't want to see two good Vol fans get bitten in the ass by karma.

I don't want him either, but I think dismissing him as a possibility is not a good assumption. He is a GREAT football coach, just a slimy person.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 04:30:57 EDT »

My deepest hope is that he goes to Kentucky and we keep Dooley.  I hate Clay Travis...he is all about shoving Bobby Petrino down our throat (no pun intended).

Your deepest hope is that Petrino goes to Kentucky??

He is a great coach, Lyn. It is fine to not want him at UT, I don't want him either, but think about what you are saying.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:32:04 EDT »

If we still had Hamilton as AD, then I might could see that...having Hart as the AD, I really don't see that happening.  I think the name is a sexy pick, but he has to much baggage at every stop that he has made.  You might think that he has learned his lesson, but can you really be sure?  I just don't see UT going that route.

As far as the Rogers situation goes, I hate to lose him because I wanted to see what we could do with 3 GREAT receivers, but I would rather lose him before the season starts instead of 3 games into the season.  At least now we can make plans to move on without him.  Also, if the reports are true about his attitude and what he was like in the lockerroom, this may be a blessing and will bring the team closer.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:32:37 EDT »

I'm pumped about this year. If we stink in 3 months then I'll worry about something else.  Sure I'm nervous and don't know how things will play out, but I'm giving everyone a chance.

Ah yes, the "Let's see how it plays out" approach. I applaud you. But Dooley has to convince me that he is good enough to stay, not convince me he is bad enough to be fired. My original post was more about BDV and Emeril saying they would quit rooting for UT if Petrino were hired. I'm not saying they are wrong, I'm saying that that's dangerous karma.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:34:37 EDT »

If we still had Hamilton as AD, then I might could see that...having Hart as the AD, I really don't see that happening.  I think the name is a sexy pick, but he has to much baggage at every stop that he has made.  You might think that he has learned his lesson, but can you really be sure?  I just don't see UT going that route.

As far as the Rogers situation goes, I hate to lose him because I wanted to see what we could do with 3 GREAT receivers, but I would rather lose him before the season starts instead of 3 games into the season.  At least now we can make plans to move on without him.  Also, if the reports are true about his attitude and what he was like in the lockerroom, this may be a blessing and will bring the team closer.

Actually, I think the other way around... if Hamilton were around, he would never touch Petrino because of the Kiffin situation. You don't think that Dave Hart might look around and see the best coach on the market and think, I can control that guy and steal a great coach? Hart is his own man, I don't think he's trying to pussyfoot around situations that Hamilton created. Hart doesn't have any bad will from the Pearl or Kiffin situations or the Fulmer firing to worry about.

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 04:42:51 EDT »

I don't disagree with you, but I still say that UT doesn't want that can of worms....but hey, I could be wrong.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 04:43:51 EDT »

Hey, the guy cheated on his wife. It's not like he killed someone. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 05:00:09 EDT »

I think CDD will have a pretty good year this year, and even if he is replaced, I don't think we'd go after Petrino, not because he isn't a good coach - he is, but his history. He could leave us in a Kiffin type debocle all over again, and anyone that slimy I can't trust to not break the rules.  Not sure he'd be the answer.

Now...If we did hire him, I would still root for the Vols. I am a UT football fan, not a UT coach fan.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 05:09:28 EDT »

Your deepest hope is that Petrino goes to Kentucky??

He is a great coach, Lyn. It is fine to not want him at UT, I don't want him either, but think about what you are saying.

LOL...I ain't skeered of him.  He will fizzle it up somehow!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 05:13:15 EDT »

And gave his floozy a job.  Arky doesn't care about his wife...they care about a sexual harassment lawsuit.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 05:22:51 EDT »

Lyn's dead-on about Arkansas. If he hadn't hired (one of ?) his fling(s) he'd still be there. The guy can really coach. If you want to win he's a no-brainer.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 05:26:07 EDT »

Peter Warrick reference?  Its not like he Killed the President?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 05:47:54 EDT »

We already had one coach who liked his flings, don't need another

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:20 EDT »

Nobody is campaigning for Petrino, at least not here, and I'm not trying to justify his sleaze. I just think that he will get a look if they decide Dickey isn't the right guy in the end. He's too good a coach, and people who think that Universities are going to stand on character (as opposed to rule breaking) aren't thinking clearly about the money involved. I know it's warm and fuzzy for people to think that character flaws are the biggest thing when a coach is hired, but it's all about those Ws and Ls.

I could totally see Hart looking at the situation and saying, they haven't been able to get a big name coach here... well here's a big name coach who will crawl here to take the job and who can compete immediately.

Watch and see, his name will be hot around the search if Dooley goes bye bye.

Oh and Pirate, I'd bet half my paycheck that better than 50% of college head and assistant coaches enjoy their flings. It comes with the character profile.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 06:29:26 EDT »

I hear Phil Fulmer is available. 

I just hope someone else snatches him up...I will feel skeevy if he is our coach.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:16 EDT »

I meant what I said.  I would continue to post here, heck, I'd even continue coming up to the tailgates, just to see everyone.  But I would wait until basketball season to root for the Vols.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:19 EDT »

I don't know one way or another but I see two good Vol fans saying they would stop rooting for UT if he were hired... he is the best coach on the market, and has never broken NCAA rules... with the state of UT football these days, I just don't want to see two good Vol fans get bitten in the ass by karma.

I don't want him either, but I think dismissing him as a possibility is not a good assumption. He is a GREAT football coach, just a slimy person.

I'm certainly not dismissing the possibility.  In fact, I would say that it's not just possible, but probable that I will have to follow through with what I said.  When it comes to UT football, I've learned to expect the worst-case scenario.  That way, I'm never disappointed.

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:34 EDT »

If UT were to hire Petrino as the leader and face of its program, given his demonstrated lack of integrity at his two most recent jobs... well, it would speak volumes about UT and its (lack of) leadership.  Can't believe there would be many UT fans that would be willing to trade integrity for wins, but perhaps I overestimate that. 

It would be especially ironic given how Kiffin left your program high and dry - very similiar to how Petrino left the Falcons.  Surely UT leadership has learned from its experience.  I would be amazed if UT hired Petrino.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 10:58:31 EDT »

If UT were to hire Petrino as the leader and face of its program, given his demonstrated lack of integrity at his two most recent jobs... well, it would speak volumes about UT and its (lack of) leadership.  Can't believe there would be many UT fans that would be willing to trade integrity for wins, but perhaps I overestimate that. 

It would be especially ironic given how Kiffin left your program high and dry - very similiar to how Petrino left the Falcons.  Surely UT leadership has learned from its experience.  I would be amazed if UT hired Petrino.
Exactly why I believe Hart would not even look in that direction

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 11:40:04 EDT »

Peter Warrick reference?  Its not like he Killed the President?

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 12:11:29 EDT »

The Arkansas fling is the least of his transgressions to me (not to make light of it, but it is pretty common).  What is less common is secretly meeting with another college program, lying to your AD about even having the meeting, lying to the press about lying to your AD, and not admitting anything until the plane tracers and motel watchers and finally the other school provide irrefutable evidence.  I don't even mind the screwing he gave Louisville, followed by the screwing he gave the Falcons.  But I can't tolerate a blatant liar, especially one who lies to his direct superior in response to very clear questions, and then lies about lying.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: