VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 11:31:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The job will be Gruden's to turn down...but if he does turn it down  (Read 15858 times)
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 03:52:19 EDT »

While anything is possible - I personally don't expect to keep Kirby for much longer - but - I also don't expect that any SEC school, including UGA where he's from - will give someone their first HC gig.  I think that Charlie Strong may wind up at Auburn, or even UT (never know) - or Kentucky - he'll land somewhere - I also think Butch Jones from Cincinnati will be snatched up by a bigger school - and Kirby Smart will probably be offered the HC at one of those schools - a lower level D1 program, where he can prove his mettle and then find his way into an SEC, Big 10, or Big 12 kind of gig.

JMT

I think the Kentucky fans want Louisiana Tech Coach Sonny Dykes or Washington State Coach Mike Leach

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 03:55:30 EDT »

I think IvoryTusk has a pretty good take.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VolsbHairy
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 04:04:58 EDT »

I think we all need to resign ourselves to the fact that either Derek Dooley or Kirby Smart is going to be our coach next year.  

This is not the case people.  Dooley is done and the booster will not bring in another no name unproven head coach.  They and we have all seen what formula works today in college football.

NC = Big Proven Name + Money^2

I dont know if we will get Gruden but I have also heard that the "short" list is very impressive.  A short list with dooley's or smart's name on it is not impressive!

Always go VOLS deep!
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 05:26:46 EDT »

This is not the case people.  Dooley is done and the booster will not bring in another no name unproven head coach.  They and we have all seen what formula works today in college football.

NC = Big Proven Name + Money^2

I dont know if we will get Gruden but I have also heard that the "short" list is very impressive.  A short list with dooley's or smart's name on it is not impressive!

Aren't there some serious financial issues within the AD that have o be considered? From what I understand from local people who donate regularly, UT is not really in the position to have a 'money is no issue' stand.  Is that not true?

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 05:30:54 EDT »

Aren't there some serious financial issues within the AD that have o be considered? From what I understand from local people who donate regularly, UT is not really in the position to have a 'money is no issue' stand.  Is that not true?

UT has boosters with a lot of money that can take care of it. Money won't be an issue.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 05:33:06 EDT »

Depends on who you listen to.  It has to be looked at as a long-term business decision.  A poorly performing football team has financial ramifications as well. I simply believe that money is a huge issue here, but the lack of it is not.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 05:51:34 EDT »

If you think we're strapped for cash now, bring Dools back for year 4.

Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money.  See Bama.  See Cam,  too.
Creek Walker
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 05:59:41 EDT »

Someone -- Basilio, maybe -- claims that UT lost $8 million from unsold tickets + loss of concession sales + unsold parking permits last year. I have no idea whether that's accurate. Seems a bit high to me. But there's no doubt that UT loses millions of dollars every year when the fan base is apathetic.

Meanwhile, Dooley is speaking to reporters right now and talking about how UT has to close the book on this 3-5 start because the results haven't been what they wanted, and start looking forward to the last four games. Gee, what fun. For a 3rd straight year we're talking about an amazing run towards bowl eligibility against the weakest part of our schedule. Rah, rah.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 06:24:41 EDT »

Meanwhile, Dooley is speaking to reporters right now and talking about how UT has to close the book on this 3-5 start because the results haven't been what they wanted, and start looking forward to the last four games. Gee, what fun. For a 3rd straight year we're talking about an amazing run towards bowl eligibility against the weakest part of our schedule. Rah, rah.

The games against MO, Vandy, and Kentucky count for Tennessee just like they do for Florida, Alabama, Georgia, SC, etc who play them earlier in the year. The fact they occur in November does not discount them in any way.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 06:34:33 EDT »

The games against MO, Vandy, and Kentucky count for Tennessee just like they do for Florida, Alabama, Georgia, SC, etc who play them earlier in the year. The fact they occur in November does not discount them in any way.

If you can't beat Florida, Alabama, Georgia, or SC at Tennessee, cya.
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 06:43:29 EDT »

I think most UT fans, myself included, feel little satisfaction in beating the poor sisters of our conference but losing to our "rivals". MO, Candy, KY are "NOT" our rivals, we are the University of Tennessee Volunteers dadgummit, The Big Orange, we don't reside with the dregs of any conference.
 One of the attributes I admire about the bammers is that they "Do not settle" for losing, or loser coaches. Heck, I even remember when Bryant was in a slump just before he went on his last great tear winning some championships, there were bumper stickers saying, "The Old Gray Bear Ain't What He Used To Be". If we ever intend to give our children & grandchildren the satisfction of knowing true greatness in the grand tradition of University of Tennessee winning football, we must have that same attitude. Btw, this rant was not intended towards any one person or poster.....just an opportunity to vent.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 06:50:19 EDT »

I am probably in the minority, but I would take Stoops over Gruden.

No comparison IYAM.  Stoops has won one and been there a couple of other times.  Yeah, he's lost a couple MNCs since he won the one, but having them there is half the fight.   Since the last one against UF in 2008, he has slipped a notch, but they were in the conversation this year prior to the ND game.

Probably past his prime and doesn't have the fire to rebuild, but at least he has been there before.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:31 EDT »

You miss my point. Each year we start 0-5 in the SEC and get whipped by our biggest rivals, then whip the weak part of our schedule and Dooley talks as though a 4-0 November will make up for the 0-4 October. It's insulting to the fan base.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:08 EDT »

You miss my point. Each year we start 0-5 in the SEC and get whipped by our biggest rivals, then whip the weak part of our schedule and Dooley talks as though a 4-0 November will make up for the 0-4 October. It's insulting to the fan base.

This talk is not insulting to the team and very appropriate.
Creek Walker
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:34 EDT »

Yeah, it really helped fire up the team last November.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 07:13:23 EDT »

Yeah, it really helped fire up the team last November.

This team is different, like all each year, and they have not quit like you probably have stated in the past. Sitting in the stands in Columbia that was clearly evident.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 07:59:18 EDT »

This team is different, like all each year, and they have not quit like you probably have stated in the past. Sitting in the stands in Columbia that was clearly evident.

They didn't quit last year until KY when they decided an insignificant bowl game wasn't on their agenda.
VolsbHairy
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 08:06:51 EDT »

You want to know what is insulting to the team?  Horrible coaching!  I am so sick of seeing people post that the "negavols" are hurting this team and recruiting.  Dooley and his staff are hurting this team because they are incapable of giving their players a chance to win.  These players came here to win against the upper class teams (Bama, Florida, and UGA)  Our players match the upper class team members talent but hey are being out coached.  BTW everytime the team stats flash up on the screen on ESPN, you know the big 0fer in the win column against ranked opponents and the stellar win record against SEC opponents, that is what is hurting recruiting.  Keep Dooley for a few more years and then we will be able to tear down Neyland stadium and make more parking for Counzo and his winnng team!   

Always go VOLS deep!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: