VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 02:07:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sousa insubordinate and misrepresented facts  (Read 14095 times)
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:19 EDT »

I think combined is accurate.  OSU just raised their budget this year to $1MM from $220K.  And the article said they now far exceed the budget of the other Big Ten schools.  So up until recently, 4 combined could easily fit that number.

No, it said "combined".  I would guess that staff salaries alone would exceed that.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 12:50:08 EDT »

I think combined is accurate.  OSU just raised their budget this year to $1MM from $220K.  And the article said they now far exceed the budget of the other Big Ten schools.  So up until recently, 4 combined could easily fit that number.

Still don't buy it.  I think he got that number from somewhere, but there's no way that's the entire budget.  I wasn't in the Pride in my time at UT, but I was in the UTC band my first two years of college (90-91).  And I'm certain that OUR budget exceeded 300k, even back then.  We employed 4 fulltime staffers, and our director had been on the job for over 20 years, so I'm certain that he wasn't making chump change.  Uniforms had to be purchased, cleaned (weekly), and maintained for 150 players, 30 color guard members, and 10 majorettes.  Instruments had to be purchased and maintained for the entire percussion section and a large chunk of the brass section, including every sousaphone (1 sousaphone= $3K, at LEAST).  We paid for the upkeep of our bandroom and practice field.  We only traveled to one away game per season, but when we did, we stayed in nice hotels and got a generous per diem.  And sheet music for 30 or so songs (for pregame, halftime, and stands) for an entire band isn't cheap. 

Now translate that to 2013 dollars, for a band at least twice as big, that travels much more often. 

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 03:00:48 EDT »

Here is a link to the article, band members were paying drycleaning and buying gloves and spats out of pocket.  But you are right about entire budget, that amount is school contribution only, they also raise money from private sources.  Still, woefully underfunded when you ask members to dig into their own pockets.

Still don't buy it.  I think he got that number from somewhere, but there's no way that's the entire budget.  I wasn't in the Pride in my time at UT, but I was in the UTC band my first two years of college (90-91).  And I'm certain that OUR budget exceeded 300k, even back then.  We employed 4 fulltime staffers, and our director had been on the job for over 20 years, so I'm certain that he wasn't making chump change.  Uniforms had to be purchased, cleaned (weekly), and maintained for 150 players, 30 color guard members, and 10 majorettes.  Instruments had to be purchased and maintained for the entire percussion section and a large chunk of the brass section, including every sousaphone (1 sousaphone= $3K, at LEAST).  We paid for the upkeep of our bandroom and practice field.  We only traveled to one away game per season, but when we did, we stayed in nice hotels and got a generous per diem.  And sheet music for 30 or so songs (for pregame, halftime, and stands) for an entire band isn't cheap. 

Now translate that to 2013 dollars, for a band at least twice as big, that travels much more often. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 03:26:38 EDT »

Here is a link to the article, band members were paying drycleaning and buying gloves and spats out of pocket.  But you are right about entire budget, that amount is school contribution only, they also raise money from private sources.  Still, woefully underfunded when you ask members to dig into their own pockets.

Gotta news flash:  I was doing the same in 1973 as a member of the Pride!

True story.  Late in the year we were playing Ole Miss in Jackson.  ABC picked up the game and Chris Schinkel, who was broadcasting the game, called Dr. J up and promised him coverage of the half time show.  Dr. J spent many hours convincing the AD to let us go and we were allowed to.  Now we were putting in a new show that week for the KY/Cincinnati Bengals weekend the next week.  So we had just Tues/Thurs to put it in and it was raining on Tuesday.  Dr. J walked down the TU aisle to the center of the field and held his arms up - it stopped raining!  We got the show in and drove down to Memphis Friday.  And yes we received per diem.

If you remember, we played Auburn at home that year.  As we came off the field at halftime it began to pour.  By the time we got back to our seats I had gained 20+ pounds, of water in the wool uniform.
It was raining so hard in the 2nd half only about a yard or two was not under water in down the center of Doug's rug.  On one punt the ball hit at the 25, bounced to the 15 and floated to the five, towards the old section X.  The General would have been proud of the number of times that Battle had us punt on first down in the 2nd half.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:33:59 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 03:32:36 EDT »

BTW, Claude, the cat, Tomlinson was the Pride's announcer when I was in the Pride.  He had a GREAT voice for the role, unlike the grade school voice that is currently the announcer.
Claude's day job was at WIVK.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 07:24:12 EDT »

According to the article you posted, Sousa is a full time faculty member, a professor.  So he is likely paid out of regular University funds.  Can't say how the rest of the operation is funded.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 07:25:00 EDT »

The residual effect of his rotting cancer are still present - see red head with tall hat as but one example.

Red head with tall hat...you lost me on that one.  Another member of the band staff? 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 11:53:46 EDT »

Red head with tall hat...you lost me on that one.  Another member of the band staff? 

What band member wears a different hat (and was part of the issue last week)?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 02:55:54 EDT »

Ohhh Ohhhhh ohhhhhhh would the identity of this person be tied to self same public protest of the Athletic Department with same person coming off looking like a bad missile Sousa Dronette named Jessica?  

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 06:36:45 EDT »

I suppose you mean the drum major...who I assume is a senior.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: