VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:20:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The bubbas don't mess around  (Read 14701 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:13:13 EST »

School is already canx for tomorrow and in most counties Wednesday as well.  All for perhaps 2-4 inches of snow

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:17:23 EST »

Our schools here on the Cumberland Plateau routinely close several days after 2-4" snowfalls, and we average about 15-20" of snow per year. I can only imagine the mayhem on the roads down south if these forecasts pan out. Never under-estimate the stupidity of drivers who don't drive on the snow on a regular basis.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:37:45 EST »

Our schools here on the Cumberland Plateau routinely close several days after 2-4" snowfalls, and we average about 15-20" of snow per year. I can only imagine the mayhem on the roads down south if these forecasts pan out. Never under-estimate the stupidity of drivers who don't drive on the snow on a regular basis.
In 1980 I was in Myrtle Beach (weekend before or after the miracle on ice) when it snowed 6”.  I grabbed a 6 pack and found the biggest hill (maybe 25 feet high) and pulled into a gas station to watch the fun-n-games.  Cheapest entertainment around.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:21 EST »

In 1980 I was in Myrtle Beach (weekend before or after the miracle on ice) when it snowed 6”.  I grabbed a 6 pack and found the biggest hill (maybe 25 feet high) and pulled into a gas station to watch the fun-n-games.  Cheapest entertainment around.

So. Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was one of your assignments? 

Sissy fly boys.  Y'all had it tough.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:33:42 EST »

So. Myrtle Beach Air Force Base was one of your assignments? 

Sissy fly boys.  Y'all had it tough.   
No, TDY to learn a system - two weeks on the beach, in March??
No golf

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:39:46 EST »

OK, how is it that Pirate is getting snow forecast down in WR, and Creek has snow in the forecast up there in whatever hinterland outpost he lives in , and I'm pretty much dead center between you two and we're not getting a damn thing (as usual)?  I hate winter in this town.  If it's cold, I want snow.  We haven't had any accumulation in over 3 years.  Sucks.

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:03:10 EST »

OK, how is it that Pirate is getting snow forecast down in WR, and Creek has snow in the forecast up there in whatever hinterland outpost he lives in , and I'm pretty much dead center between you two and we're not getting a damn thing (as usual)?  I hate winter in this town.  If it's cold, I want snow.  We haven't had any accumulation in over 3 years.  Sucks.

I'll trade you half our annual snowfall for that 1gbps internet access you all have. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:00 EST »

Its all good, doubt there are many black diamond runs around choochoo 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 02:05:42 EST »

Its all good, doubt there are many black diamond runs around choochoo 

There COULD be some pretty sweet off-piste glades runs down Lookout Mountain, if only we'd get some snow.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 02:10:43 EST »

I'll trade you half our annual snowfall for that 1gbps internet access you all have. 

It aint cheap.  Lots of businesses have it, but I don't know anyone who has it in their home.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:54:12 EST »

Droner ought to get some. North Charlotte is getting doodly.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 02:58:11 EST »

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 03:38:55 EST »

That would be quite the upgrade from your current service.
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 03:43:41 EST »

That would be quite the upgrade from your current service.

We are still toiling along on 1.5mbps DSL speeds up here (though realistically it's seldom faster than 0.6mpbs). 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 04:12:53 EST »

We are still toiling along on 1.5mbps DSL speeds up here (though realistically it's seldom faster than 0.6mpbs). 

Same here although my ISP claims 1.0 down and .5 up.  I'm typically at .7 up and .3 down.  It is what it is and I don't have any other option right now.  Comcast services this area but I built so far off the main road (1500-2000 ft) that they can't do it without thousands in installation costs on my part.  Mostly I'm happy, I guess I've just gotten used to it.  Surprisingly I can game online without any hiccups (as long as no one else is is dl'ing).
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:08:44 EST »

We're getting some in the northwest Atlanta suburbs. Saw a car a while ago flipped over in a ditch.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 07:38:30 EST »

OK, so we got some snow after all.  Left work early, and what is normally a 10 minute drive home took over an hour.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:34:15 EST »

I think that was the same storm that hit hard across much of the country with record lows in the deep south. midwest and eastern seaboard. I was in Chicago on business, and for all the times for this southern boy to be there Chicago had a record low of -34 degrees. Yes, -34 with a windchill factor of something like -54. The wife was home in Chattanooga (we lived there at the time) and temp was below zero there as well. They actually had more snow on the ground in 'nooga than in Illinois. BTW, the wife (she of course remembers you and just luvs Emerald and his food ) is stuck in major traffic on 280 in B'ham/Hoover (where we had dinner and drinks with you at Bahama Mama) as we speak. Roads closing and accidents everywhere!

BG
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:56 EST »

meanwhile, still raining here in bubbaville

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 08:42:01 EST »

I think that was the same storm that hit hard across much of the country with record lows in the deep south. midwest and eastern seaboard. I was in Chicago on business, and for all the times for this southern boy to be there Chicago had a record low of -34 degrees. Yes, -34 with a windchill factor of something like -54. The wife was home in Chattanooga (we lived there at the time) and temp was below zero there as well. They actually had more snow on the ground in 'nooga than in Illinois. BTW, the wife (she of course remembers you and just luvs Emerald and his food ) is stuck in major traffic on 280 in B'ham/Hoover (where we had dinner and drinks with you at Bahama Mama) as we speak. Roads closing and accidents everywhere!

BG

My son called me around 11:00....he lives in the Hoover area and was trying to get to school to pickup his son....He is suck in traffic jams and cars can't get up hills. He was at work and he said everyone's cell phones were going off alerting about school closings. He said it was a flat mess.

They were calling for this weather so they should have closed schools....Bet they wish they had now.

We go down to visit them 2-3 times a year...hell people in B'ham can't drive in July much less in the snow and ice.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:03 EST »

BG

My son called me around 11:00....he lives in the Hoover area and was trying to get to school to pickup his son....He is suck in traffic jams and cars can't get up hills. He was at work and he said everyone's cell phones were going off alerting about school closings. He said it was a flat mess.

They were calling for this weather so they should have closed schools....Bet they wish they had now.

We go down to visit them 2-3 times a year...hell people in B'ham can't drive in July much less in the snow and ice.

True! The worst drivers barring Louisiana drivers. They're the ones always going past you at 95 MPH. Bama drivers are the ones who don't know what a fast lane is, and don't know how to use a turn signal! Phil, the wife is stuck because of the traffic from Hoover schools such as Spain Park getting out late. It's a total traffic mess! We now live south of the area in southern Shelby County. Have no idea when she will make it home!

BG

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 09:20:44 EST »

True! The worst drivers barring Louisiana drivers. They're the ones always going past you at 95 MPH. Bama drivers are the ones who don't know what a fast lane is, and don't know how to use a turn signal! Phil, the wife is stuck because of the traffic from Hoover schools such as Spain Park getting out late. It's a total traffic mess! We now live south of the area in southern Shelby County. Have no idea when she will make it home!

BG

My son sent me a text about an hour ago....he was stopped in traffic. Cars were stuck on a hill in front of him and people couldn't go forward or backwards.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 10:49:51 EST »

people couldn't go forward or backwards.

Heck fire.  I seem to live in that world every day - rain, shine, sleet, or snow.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 11:36:51 EST »

Wow- it's REALLY bad in Atlanta.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 12:56:16 EST »

My son sent me a text about an hour ago....he was stopped in traffic. Cars were stuck on a hill in front of him and people couldn't go forward or backwards.

Wife just made it home about thirty minutes ago. Left Inverness area on 280 and it took 6 and 1/2 hours to drive 25 or so miles. Hope your son has made it back!

BG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: