VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 04:52:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The bubbas don't mess around  (Read 14702 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 01:49:51 EST »

Wife just made it home about thirty minutes ago. Left Inverness area on 280 and it took 6 and 1/2 hours to drive 25 or so miles. Hope your son has made it back!

BG

Not yet!!! He sent me a text at 5:50 and he was 2 miles from daycare where his youngest son stays....he was at a standstill and hadn't moved in 20 minutes. When he gets to the daycare he is still 8 miles from home.

His other son is staying all night at school with about 150 other students.

Heads in the Birmingham area needs to roll over this cluster. Didn't they treat the dang roads at all???? They knew this was coming 2 days ago!!

Glad your wife made it home safe!! My son's wife is a nurse at UAB hospital...she worked today and is staying the night at the hospital. My son left his office at 10:50 this morning!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 02:11:40 EST »

It sounds like several cities in the region got caught with their pants down.  Here in Chattanooga, the forecast was calling for a light dusting at the most, and this was at 11:00 last night.  The roads weren't pre-treated.  The schools decided to stay open, and most of the local businesses will follow the schools' lead.  So when the snow began to accumulate, and everyone closed down at 11 or so this morning, you had everyone in the entire city out on the untreated roads, most of whom don't know how to drive in these conditions even when the roads ARE salted.  It was (and still is) chaos.  Last I heard, CPD alone had responded to over 130 accidents today- and that's just within the city limits, not even counting the surrounding area.  I know that northerners make fun of us for this stuff, but if we're properly prepared, 1-2 inches of snow should NOT grind the entire city to a halt like it did today.

I have a feeling that this storm is going to change the way a lot of southern cities deal with winter weather in the future.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:15:29 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 02:14:09 EST »

We had it forecasted, everybody panicked and just now is it getting cold enought to turn to sleet

Meanwhile, Atlanta was supposed to be dusted and Gordon nailed.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 03:10:40 EST »

Just got off the phone with my son....He got home just shy of 8 hours to go 18.5 miles.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 03:28:33 EST »

Not yet!!! He sent me a text at 5:50 and he was 2 miles from daycare where his youngest son stays....he was at a standstill and hadn't moved in 20 minutes. When he gets to the daycare he is still 8 miles from home.

His other son is staying all night at school with about 150 other students.

Heads in the Birmingham area needs to roll over this cluster. Didn't they treat the dang roads at all???? They knew this was coming 2 days ago!!

Glad your wife made it home safe!! My son's wife is a nurse at UAB hospital...she worked today and is staying the night at the hospital. My son left his office at 10:50 this morning!

The forecasters are the ones that blew it. They predicted this storm to hit as far south as Baldwin and Mobile counties on the coast, and then northeastward to Montgomery and continue east toward Auburn. No mention of much of anything here. This area was caught with virtually no warning. Your son left work at almost the exact same time as my wife. I know it's been a heck of a day for him!

BG
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 03:36:01 EST »

Just got off the phone with my son....He got home just shy of 8 hours to go 18.5 miles.

Good, he's finally there! Incredible, that's worse than my wife's trip! Many of her co-workers are not home yet. and some headed back to 280 and are staying at the Hyatt. We know some other people who never left work and are staying all night at their office.

BG
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 02:44:06 EST »

I think that was the same storm that hit hard across much of the country with record lows in the deep south. midwest and eastern seaboard. I was in Chicago on business, and for all the times for this southern boy to be there Chicago had a record low of -34 degrees. Yes, -34 with a windchill factor of something like -54. The wife was home in Chattanooga (we lived there at the time) and temp was below zero there as well. They actually had more snow on the ground in 'nooga than in Illinois. BTW, the wife (she of course remembers you and just luvs Emerald and his food ) is stuck in major traffic on 280 in B'ham/Hoover (where we had dinner and drinks with you at Bahama Mama) as we speak. Roads closing and accidents everywhere!

BG

Repeat after me (and stop drinking) EmerilVOL EmerilVOL EmerilVOL.....damn Alabummers!!!!  roflmfao   

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 09:13:06 EST »

True! The worst drivers barring Louisiana drivers. They're the ones always going past you at 95 MPH.

Excuse me? I've never driven faster than 85.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 09:20:49 EST »

Excuse me? I've never driven faster than 8.5
FIFY

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 11:16:36 EST »

Huh, sorry 'bout that LTF! Ok, just a slow 85, but even in 35 MPH zones!

BG
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 05:53:51 EST »

On the side streets and 105 on the Interstate...lets be clear and correct here.......

EmerilVOL

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 01:15:10 EST »

Jack!! You are supposed to be on MY side. 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 03:03:19 EST »

Jack!! You are supposed to be on MY side. 
I am on your side....I was right behind you on the interstate!!!  LOL

EmerilVOL

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: