VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 08:13:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, I'll say it... I'm not pissed at Butch  (Read 14879 times)
10EC
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:30:01 EDT »

Gameday mistakes... sure...

But I still see a VERY weak OL being very weak in that game.  That was the difference.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:44:08 EDT »

Gameday mistakes... sure...

But I still see a VERY weak OL being very weak in that game.  That was the difference.

I thought the playcalling on offense was conservative and scared for the entire game. He didn't help his OL out at all with that crap.

Yeah, the OL remains weak, but as coaches you can do much better than what we saw on the offensive side Saturday.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 07:48:07 EDT »

prevent pressure on Dobbs once OU decided to come at him hard nearly every play, BUT Butch's failure to adjust to OU's adjustments to our offense is inexcusable IMO. I'm not saying fire him by any means, but I don' t know how you can watch them begin to have success and do nothing to counter their adjustments?    I think a lot of folks are forgetting that we're really just getting the ship turned and we are still very thin in experience and depth...IMO we're at least 1, probably 2, years away from being where we want to be and that's on Dooley but Butch needs to grow as a coach too.    
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:51:36 EDT »

prevent pressure on Dobbs once OU decided to come at him hard nearly every play, BUT Butch's failure to adjust to OU's adjustments to our offense is inexcusable IMO. I'm not saying fire him by any means, but I don' t know how you can watch them begin to have success and do nothing to counter their adjustments?    I think a lot of folks are forgetting that we're really just getting the ship turned and we are still very thin in experience and depth...IMO we're at least 1, probably 2, years away from being where we want to be and that's on Dooley but Butch needs to grow as a coach too.    

Yeah, there are two things at play here. Obviously in terms of total team/player development we are getting there-- we looked about even with OU in terms of talent-- but may not be quite there yet. Maybe 2016 is the year.

But there are serious red flags with Butch's in-game coaching and it doesn't make much sense to excuse or deny it IMO. I'm not ready to fire him either, but I have gone from giving him the benefit of the doubt with some of his odd choices to now being in serious need of him showing me something. The good news is there will be several more chances this year for him to do that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:40:59 EDT by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 08:37:22 EDT »

Good coaching maximizes your advantages, and minimizes weaknesses. I haven't seen that.

1) A veteran OL and pathetic rest of team go to Oregon. We play fast instead of milking the clock. We were going to lose badly, but that tactic assured swift destruction.

2) Peterman starts in Gainesville, and plays almost a half.

3) We're still trying to redshirt Dobbs through all this.

4) Worley is busy running read-option stuff.

5) Ferguson wisely realizes his future is on the bench and bolts.

6) Peterman makes his ill-fated 2014 appearances.

7) Jones is bailed out by Worley's injury.

8) We play fast in the 4th quarter against OU.

I'm not quibbling with play calls. Jones has done a brilliant job recruiting, but has mismanaged fundamental elements of sports...a lot...in just two years. I hope he learns, but that's not typically how it works.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:40:09 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:12 EDT »

Speaking of Peterman, ...........

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/football/former-vol-qb-peterman-in-mix-to-start-for-pittsburgh

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 09:23:44 EDT »

Pitiful...pitiful...pitiful coaching. Making any excuse otherwise and you have lowered to Vandy fan status.

Right now we have MAC coaches trying to win in BIG BOY football. Until they prove different.....they have failed.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:51:51 EDT »

Good coaching maximizes your advantages, and minimizes weaknesses. I haven't seen that.

1) A veteran OL and pathetic rest of team go to Oregon. We play fast instead of miliking tbe clock. We were going to lose badly, but that tactic assured swift destruction.
I also found that questionable but at the same time .... at least in this case...I thought it at least showed some balls

A horrible decision that I hated...but one that the vast majority of the fan base was very happy with and wanted. Not to his credit at all...but I almost felt like Butch caved to fan pressure  

A very questionable decision. My opinion is that Jones knew Dobbs potential but wanted to save him...basically he mostly wrote off 2014 and was saving Dobbs for the future. That again...is not necessarily to his credit but that's what I think it was FWIW

It was a valiant effort by Worley. May he RIP. LOL!

Goodbye, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Many fans thought he was the future because they saw him on some reality show on ESPN. I was never that impressed

Our season last year was. But....We beat usc in 2013 with worley and arguably needed a lot less luck to do it with a far less talented team

8) We pkay fast in the 4th quarter against OU.

you mean clock management? If so wtf? Is that not the very definition of conservative????

I'm not quibbling with play calls. Jones has done a brilliant job recruiting, but has mismanaged fundamental elements of sports...a lot...in just two years. I hope he learns, but that's not typically how it works.

Bottom line for me...I am very happy with the energy Jones has brought to the program. But whatever quibbles I might have above I agree that the pressure is increasing on Jones and that it should be.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:53:40 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:10:46 EDT »

1) A veteran OL and pathetic rest of team go to Oregon. We play fast instead of miliking tbe clock. We were going to lose badly, but that tactic assured swift destruction.

8) We pkay fast in the 4th quarter against OU.

you do realize but for the stress fracture he had just before the bama game 2 years ago Feruson plays instead of Dobbs?
It was Ferguson who travelled to Uf for that I'll-fated UF appearance, Dobbs stayed home because he was the one who was red shirting.

Btw, the pace wasn't the issue against Oregon, jancek's defensive scheme was downright weird (family board)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:40:18 EDT »

The squad we took to Oregon was so slow, I don't blame anyone for losing. Pace of play was about all we could control, and a power running game may have helped some. Damage mitigation was the best we could hope for.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 10:44:52 EDT »

The squad we took to Oregon was so slow, I don't blame anyone for losing. Pace of play was about all we could control, and a power running game may have helped some. Damage mitigation was the best we could hope for.

I thought the same thing, but at the end of the day it didn't matter.  My take was that Jones decided to go ahead and run the base hurry up offense because we needed the practice.  I would have preferred he didn't though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 11:10:13 EDT »

And speaking of pace of play, what in the cowboy hell were we doing in the 4th quarter with a lead snapping the football with the clock running and 20 seconds left on the play clock? We did that way too many times, and that isn't the QB or players' faults - that is coaching.  Period.  Got to shorten the game at that point. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 11:13:10 EDT »

And speaking of pace of play, what in the cowboy hell were we doing in the 4th quarter with a lead snapping the football with the clock running and 20 seconds left on the play clock? We did that way too many times, and that isn't the QB or players' faults - that is coaching.  Period.  Got to shorten the game at that point. 

200,000 plus UT fans have figured this out.....and the guy making millions to win games can't. That's a big problem VOL fans.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 01:55:10 EDT »

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 07:21:06 EDT »

lol.  And yet, trying to run the clock out on a big lead is exactly what most people are criticizing Butch for.  Too funny.   

As if OU didn't have all three timeouts left at the end of the game.....they easily could have scored that TD with 2 and half minutes left had they actually tried to manage the clock.  Instead, they deliberately wasted time on that drive so we couldn't answer.

How many total offensive plays did we have in the 4th quarter anyway?   Hold on....five.

Didn't make a  difference at all, but whatever makes you feel better.   

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 12:31:55 EDT »

If you're going to play conservative, you need to do it right. That means milking the clock and making OU use timeouts. Plus, it's doubtful they would have burned them early in the quarter.

Snapping it early showed a huge disconnect. It also allowed them to take the tying drive at their leisure.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 07:29:03 EDT »

lol.  And yet, trying to run the clock out on a big lead is exactly what most people are criticizing Butch for.  Too funny.  

As if OU didn't have all three timeouts left at the end of the game.....they easily could have scored that TD with 2 and half minutes left had they actually tried to manage the clock.  Instead, they deliberately wasted time on that drive so we couldn't answer.

How many total offensive plays did we have in the 4th quarter anyway?   Hold on....five.

Didn't make a  difference at all, but whatever makes you feel better.  

Two score lead in the 4th quarter?  Yes, you try to run clock and shorten the game.  That doesn't necessarily mean that you are conservative with the play call.  You just don't snap the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock.  

That's football coaching 101, Bandit. And don't even try to spin it.    

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 09:12:13 EDT »

lol.  And yet, trying to run the clock out on a big lead is exactly what most people are criticizing Butch for.  Too funny.  

As if OU didn't have all three timeouts left at the end of the game.....they easily could have scored that TD with 2 and half minutes left had they actually tried to manage the clock.  Instead, they deliberately wasted time on that drive so we couldn't answer.

How many total offensive plays did we have in the 4th quarter anyway?   Hold on....five.

Didn't make a  difference at all, but whatever makes you feel better.  

I would say the concern for a lot of people is that the play calling was conservative, trying not to make a mistake, while the clock management did not match that strategy.  If you are going conservative, you go all-in imo.  That means that when you have possession, you burn as much clock as you can while calling those conservative plays.

There is no way that you know, before the fact, how many plays you will run in the quarter.  If you are being conservative, you hope that you run many plays and burn a ton of clock.  Even if you don't, though, you use all of the time that you can to fit that strategy.

Would it have mattered?  We will never know.  To me, however, the two did not match up and that is a problem.

I am not calling for Butch to be fired!  Far from it.  He has been great for our program in many ways and I look forward to hopefully watching his future success in winning big games for us.  That said, his game time decision-making seems to be a weakness so far in his tenure.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:15:51 EDT by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 10:00:36 EDT »

Two score lead in the 4th quarter?  Yes, you try to run clock and shorten the game.  That doesn't necessarily mean that you are conservative with the play call.  You just don't snap the ball with 20 seconds left on the play clock.  

That's football coaching 101, Bandit. And don't even try to spin it.    

We only had two drives in the 4th quarter not counting the last one-play drive where we (against my desires) ran out the clock.  And the first drive continued from the third quarter.

Of the two, we only had a two TD lead on the first one and it was a continuation from the third quarter. On that drive the clock was stopped on the first play in the fourth quarter, then we ran, and then there was an incomplete pass.  There was only one play to run the clock on, and it was the second play of the 4th quarter.  On the second drive, we managed three offensive plays but were only ahead 7 points at that point.  That is not the time to get conservative and run clock!  There were about 7-8 minutes left.  I don't think you try to stretch the clock there without a few first downs and then only maybe.

There was a lot to criticize the coaches for in this game, but how long we let the clock run or not in the 4th quarter was a complete non-factor in this game.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 10:04:22 EDT »

I was not pissed at Butch until i read the headline "Negativity will not be tolerated in this program". The negativity is all focused on him and he has the cojones to say this. He lost the OU game with his chicken-shizzle coaching. No arguments. He is losing his luster on me. Right now he is a great recruiter and a terrible gameday coach. Anybody want to argue the fact? If he loses to UF, I'm ready for a new coach. I don't care how good of a recruiter he is. Talent is wasted on bad coaching. He needs to beat a good team.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 10:09:17 EDT »

We only had two drives in the 4th quarter not counting the last one-play drive where we (against my desires) ran out the clock.  And the first drive continued from the third quarter.

Of the two, we only had a two TD lead on the first one and it was a continuation from the third quarter. On that drive the clock was stopped on the first play in the fourth quarter, then we ran, and then there was an incomplete pass.  There was only one play to run the clock on, and it was the second play of the 4th quarter.  On the second drive, we managed three offensive plays but were only ahead 7 points at that point.  That is not the time to get conservative and run clock!  There were about 7-8 minutes left.  I don't think you try to stretch the clock there without a few first downs and then only maybe.

There was a lot to criticize the coaches for in this game, but how long we let the clock run or not in the 4th quarter was a complete non-factor in this game.
Ask Eli about how running the clock doesn't matter. Besides, not running the clock, the offense did nothing against their adjustments. That is on Jones and staff. Period.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 10:35:00 EDT »

OK - read this slowly. 

It's not the plays you call, it's snapping the football while the clock is running and you still have 20 seconds left on the play clock with the lead in the 4th quarter.

What don't you understand about that?  That's football 101 and it is ALL on the coaches. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 11:56:30 EDT »

Ask Eli about how running the clock doesn't matter. Besides, not running the clock, the offense did nothing against their adjustments. That is on Jones and staff. Period.

As if an NFL game was relevant in this case.  Yes it mattered with Eli!  What on Earth does that have to do with our game?

And again, the big criticism of Butch is that he didn't have the "balls" to play wide out football.  Which is exactly the opposite of milking the clock.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.  Pick a criticism and stick with it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 12:01:52 EDT »

OK - read this slowly. 

It's not the plays you call, it's snapping the football while the clock is running and you still have 20 seconds left on the play clock with the lead in the 4th quarter.

What don't you understand about that?  That's football 101 and it is ALL on the coaches. 

I completely understand the concept of milking the clock.  What I am saying is that your argument is reduced to saying there was one play in the 4th quarter where we didn't do this, and for that matter it was in the beginning of the 4th quarter.  If you really want to pretend that mattered you are welcome to your delusion.

You could add in two more plays on our second drive, but then you have to argue that milking the clock up only one TD with 7 minutes left is a good idea. 

What we did with the clock in the 4th quarter was irrelevant.  We needed first downs and scores, not time management. 

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 02:00:41 EDT »

I completely understand the concept of milking the clock.  What I am saying is that your argument is reduced to saying there was one play in the 4th quarter where we didn't do this, and for that matter it was in the beginning of the 4th quarter.  If you really want to pretend that mattered you are welcome to your delusion.

You could add in two more plays on our second drive, but then you have to argue that milking the clock up only one TD with 7 minutes left is a good idea. 

What we did with the clock in the 4th quarter was irrelevant.  We needed first downs and scores, not time management. 

No, it was more than one occasion.  Happened 4 or 5 times late 3rd/4th qtrs. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: