VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 04:04:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, incredibly frustrating evening.  (Read 2785 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2019, 06:23:30 EDT »

But, this kind of effort (and Mauer playing) will get us to a bowl, I say.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 06:25:17 EDT »

But, this kind of effort (and Mauer playing) will get us to a bowl, I say.

Agreed, but holy dammit, he needs to quit getting shots that take him out of the game.

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 06:58:46 EDT »

If this group can get some capable QB play, i now believe six wins is definitely possible. I agree with you, Vinnie.

Personally, I am encouraged because I think there has been noticeable improvement (except for JG). 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 07:00:46 EDT »

If this group can get some capable QB play, i now believe six wins is definitely possible. I agree with you, Vinnie.

Personally, I am encouraged because I think there has been noticeable improvement (except for JG). 

And you see glimpses of the future with some freshmen doing good things.  (Right before a Butch player does something stupid)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 07:07:44 EDT »

Proud of the team....Bama was there for the taking but.........................GITMO! He should never see the field again and the last straw was what he did when we could have gotten within 1 score.

Maurer has started 3 games and not finished one of them......I was involved in football for 33 years and I've never seen that before.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 07:08:10 EDT »

I'm very encouraged, BUT Maurer has to play, and JG can't get another snap.

Don't know that's possible.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 07:26:50 EDT »

If you had told me before the game that we would cover and I would be frustrated, I wouldn't have believed you. I would've thought I would take 35-13 and say "good job, let's move on." But I truly feel like this was a winnable game, at least after Tua left with the injury.

I'm a little concerned about Maurer's durability at this point. If he was indeed concussed today, that's two concussions in two weeks, and that's no laughing matter.

I didn't think JG played all that poorly, given what he brings to the table. He just doesn't bring the same tools that Maurer brings. He was able to use his legs to avoid several sacks. But after that fumble, I'm done. I was happy for him last week. He had been benched, then had the opportunity to come back on and lead his team to a big win and he did that. Tonight, though, if he just runs the play that's called, it's a 28-20 game and the price of poker goes sky-high. His selfishness hurt his team tonight. I hope he never sees the field at Tennessee again.

I continue to warm up to Pruitt. This team is playing with fire that wasn't there at the first of the season, and is progressing nicely. I still think it's unlikely that we get to bowl eligibility, but I do think we at least avoid an end-of-season meltdown like we saw last year.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 07:53:43 EDT »

Good progress, 6 wins definitely possible, and we definitely need Maurer for that.

JG really finished himself off tonight. I feel bad for him, he seems like a really nice guy, but what an awful play that was.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 03:56:10 EDT »

I think the coaching staff might have turned the corner. The players seem to be playing hard and with effort. The staff and players seem to be on the same page  too. Both lines of scrimmage have come a long way and the secondary is playing really well too. We should have a chance in all the remaining games playing like this. Not saying we are going to win them but I like our chances. I know the game changed when Tua left but against Georgia and bama we were in the game until the 4th quarter of each. Several times last night, our coaching staff out schemed Saban but just didn’t execute. That call on Darrell Taylor was the worst call I have ever seen and completely changed the game
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 07:04:14 EDT »

Losing Maurer hurt our chances a lot too. JG isn't a winner and never has been.

Taylor wasn't smart there.....They(refs) were looking for things to call on us. I've watched the replay on this several times today.....Taylor made a good play....Just get up and go back to your side or run off the field. Him putting one hand on that QB getting up then OK....but when he was getting up he took his other had and did a push and he did it for a reason. That was a huge turning point. Again...the refs were doing everything they could to protect Bama without Tua.

We all wear Orange colored glasses....but if a Bama player had done that to our QB and it wasn't called we would have all gone ape sheet crazy.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 07:28:42 EDT »

Losing Maurer hurt our chances a lot too. JG isn't a winner and never has been.

Taylor wasn't smart there.....They(refs) were looking for things to call on us. I've watched the replay on this several times today.....Taylor made a good play....Just get up and go back to your side or run off the field. Him putting one hand on that QB getting up then OK....but when he was getting up he took his other had and did a push and he did it for a reason. That was a huge turning point. Again...the refs were doing everything they could to protect Bama without Tua.

We all wear Orange colored glasses....but if a Bama player had done that to our QB and it wasn't called we would have all gone ape sheet crazy.

Yes... just don't even risk it!  There are no moral victories, but the team played well. Some real boneheaded individual plays. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 08:52:31 EDT »

I can honestly say you wouldn't have seen a reaction from me. I really don't think you would've seen a reaction from many others, either. The surest way to tell what Taylor did was a nothing burger...look at the reaction of Alabama's OL. Those guys are the first to come to the defense of their QB, and when they see something unnecessary they're going to immediately 1.) Look to the white hat with their hands up, or 2.) Intervene. Neither happened. If Taylor shoved him in any way, I'd be okay with the penalty. That wasn't a shove in any sense of the word. I'm usually one of those fans who doesn't care to call out our own players for stupid stuff. Barnett used to drive me crazy when he pushed the limits of unnecessary roughness. I said so more than once, including on this board, and it usually didn't go over too well. But in this case, Taylor did nothing wrong. There was nothing there.

I've watched the replay a hundred times, and that may have been the most egregious extra-curricular call that I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:54:21 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 10:25:36 EDT »

I can honestly say you wouldn't have seen a reaction from me. I really don't think you would've seen a reaction from many others, either. The surest way to tell what Taylor did was a nothing burger...look at the reaction of Alabama's OL. Those guys are the first to come to the defense of their QB, and when they see something unnecessary they're going to immediately 1.) Look to the white hat with their hands up, or 2.) Intervene. Neither happened. If Taylor shoved him in any way, I'd be okay with the penalty. That wasn't a shove in any sense of the word. I'm usually one of those fans who doesn't care to call out our own players for stupid stuff. Barnett used to drive me crazy when he pushed the limits of unnecessary roughness. I said so more than once, including on this board, and it usually didn't go over too well. But in this case, Taylor did nothing wrong. There was nothing there.

I've watched the replay a hundred times, and that may have been the most egregious extra-curricular call that I've ever seen.

You can get by with that playing USCe....You will not get by with it playing Bama at Bama. I said before the flag was ever thrown it would be a flag. Being on a football staff for 33 years you know when and where you can pick fights. They call that right there 99.9% of the time and the other .1% is because the ref didn't see it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:35:41 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 09:24:37 EDT »

Frustrated evening?  You mean like all the rest? 

Some frustrated evening, you may see a loser,
You may see a loser across the empty stands,
And somehow you know, you know even then,
That somehow we'll find a dumb way to lose again.
Some frustrated evening, someone may be crying,
You may hear them sobbing across the empty stands,
And night after night, as strange as it seems,
Kiffiin's coaching return will sing in your dreams.
Who can explain it, who can tell you why?
Fools give you reasons, wise men never try.
Some frustrated evening, when you find your real fizzleed,
When you hear Gitmo audible across a crowded goaline,
Then run as fast as you can away from your phone,
and pray Butch's ghost will leave us alone.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: