VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 03:22:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have always had an android phone. Someone sell me on the Apple I6. What is the  (Read 7414 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:46:21 EST »

main difference in the operating systems? I have had great service out of the android phones. Is one more user friendly than the other? I am a Samsung Galaxy fan. Just interested in the new iphone.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:58:20 EST »

Apple is the devil.  Or at least the devil's brother, since Comcast is the real devil. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:17:05 EST »

It's more of a personal preference. I just got the 6. I have had the iphone since the 4. I had a droid before.

IMO the iphone is a bit more customer intuitive, easier to use. It depends who you ask.  

Plus, Apple is an American company, and Samsung is Korean. That may matter to some people. (Not really an issue with me)

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:02:41 EST »

I didn't think of that angle Nut. I like to buy American. Not many American products on the market anymore. Part of the reason for this countries economic problems. Thanks Nut.

volsboyinsodak
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:37 EST »

I didn't think of that angle Nut. I like to buy American. Not many American products on the market anymore. Part of the reason for this countries economic problems. Thanks Nut.

The 6 is manufactured in China with parts sourced largely from China, FYI.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:12:33 EST »

The 6 is manufactured in China with parts sourced largely from China, FYI.

Everything electronic pretty much is. The apple products are designed in the US though.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 09:02:04 EST »

Everything electronic pretty much is. The apple products are designed in the US though.

Yep. I'm sure my HTC one was made in China or Taiwan. I just think the difference between a public Taiwanese (or Korean) company manufacturing in China and a public American company manufacturing in China is pretty meaningless when it comes to "American jobs" and the like.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:30:16 EST »

As has already been said, it's mostly personal preference. Plenty of people will tell you iPhone is better; plenty will tell you Droid is better. There's no doubt that the iPhone is easier to use than a Droid. But when you boil right down to it, how hard is a phone to use? So that winds up being a wash most of the time.

Personally, I started on a Droid, then switched to iPhone. I tried to switch back to Droid a year ago but wound up returning it and going back to iPhone. For me, Droid just isn't an option now. But I use an iMac at the office, an iMac at home, and a Macbook and iPad on the road. The inter compatibility makes iPhone a no-brainer for me. I love being able to type notes on my Macbook, enter a calendar event on my iPad or buy an MP3 on my iPhone and having it all waiting on every device no matter where I go.

I guess I've sold my soul to Apple. But it sure makes life easier. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:07:05 EST »

main difference in the operating systems? I have had great service out of the android phones. Is one more user friendly than the other? I am a Samsung Galaxy fan. Just interested in the new iphone.
I started with iphones originally because there was NO alternative at the time.  Now I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem so it would be difficult to escape but I do like the phones.
If you go iphone get the 6 because the 6+ is just too freaking big

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 10:30:08 EST »

Thanks for the info guys. Now, how in the world do we get all of these products and companies to start manufacturing these things in the USA again? I think it is very important for this country's well being to get our manufacturing industry back. How can it be done with companies valuing profits over all else. Is the manufacturing industry gone from the U.S. forever?

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 01:06:10 EST »

Thanks for the info guys. Now, how in the world do we get all of these products and companies to start manufacturing these things in the USA again? I think it is very important for this country's well being to get our manufacturing industry back. How can it be done with companies valuing profits over all else. Is the manufacturing industry gone from the U.S. forever?

Apple has brought back the MAC pro to the US. They are made in TX

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 01:34:28 EST »

Apple has brought back the MAC pro to the US. They are made in TX

That's great news for the 4-5 people a year who actually buy Mac Pros.

Seriously, it's a great machine, but who really needs it and/or can afford it?  A tricked out iMac is plenty powerful, even for most professional applications.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 03:39:34 EST »

That's great news for the 4-5 people a year who actually buy Mac Pros.

Seriously, it's a great machine, but who really needs it and/or can afford it?  A tricked out iMac is plenty powerful, even for most professional applications.

Baby steps. There are some companies bringing stuff back to the US. China's getting too expensive, and the hassle isn't worth it for a few companies. Still don't see major electronics out of there for a while.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 03:11:30 EST »

We're seeing a lot of companies asking for quotes from us in attempts to "repatriate" their products.  Right now, business is very good even at this time of year which has been historically low for us.
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 04:10:03 EST »

Baby steps. There are some companies bringing stuff back to the US. China's getting too expensive, and the hassle isn't worth it for a few companies. Still don't see major electronics out of there for a while.

We have a company here that's going toe-to-toe with China and winning contracts, thus moving manufacturing on some parts of America's leading brands back to the U.S. The guy started when his friend needed someone to manufacture rubber tiedown straps for him. Soon he was the largest manufacturer of tiedown straps in North America. He began to diversify and is now making parts for Whirlpool and other appliance-makers, and is a fairly large player in the fracking industry with certain parts that he manufactures. To me, that's a positive sign. Good ol' American ingenuity winning out over cheap overseas labor. Hopefully it's a trend that continues.
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 07:21:22 EST »

I've got the Galaxy S5 Active. nice phone. but for what ever reason no matter if i send a video through text or email or how long or short it is, from it it wants to reduce the size and it come across to the user with alot of pixels. Ive got a friend at church whose son is in the Pride of the Southland Band that sent his mom a full 10 minutes of video of the post game celebration with the players. It came across vividly clear. Im stumped.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 09:39:11 EST »

Here's a good side by side comparison

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/technology/iphone-android-comparison/?sr=fb111414iphoneandroid2pInteractiveAlbum
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 11:49:29 EST »

For about 15 minutes, Google owned Motorola, and assembled several phone models at a plant in Texas.  But then they sold Moto off to the Chinese.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 06:40:50 EST »

For about 15 minutes, Google owned Motorola, and assembled several phone models at a plant in Texas.  But then they sold Moto off to the Chinese.

Too much like real work.  Far easier to sell the internet fluff ads, none of which is a real business, IMO.  Just bytes and bits and massive amounts of data on the customers they spy on.  SO much easier than actually building something....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: