VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 07:49:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did you see that Oregon had 700+ yards of offense Thursday night? Back in the  (Read 4183 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2015, 12:45:42 EDT »

not too distant past that would be a good 4 game stretch for an offense. How do most of you feel about the way football is played today? I don't particularly like it, but it appears here to stay. I just wish defenses would catch up to the HUNH offenses. It seems like the Big 12 DC's are stealing their paychecks. Even the SEC defenses are giving up big amounts of yardage the last few years. When will the defenses catch up to these offenses? I (horrors) agree with Saban when he says it's not football. 60-58 scores are entertaining, but is it better. Plus all the offensive records will be broken easily in today's game.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:12:40 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:48:24 EDT »

not too distant past that would be a good 4 game stretch for an offense. How do most of you feel about the way football is played today? I don't particularly like it, but it appears here to stay. I just wish defenses would catch up to the HUNH offenses. It seems like the Big 12 DC's are stealing their paychecks. Even the SEC defenses are giving up big amounts of yardage the last few years. When will the defenses catch up to these offenses? I (horrors) agree with Saban when he says it's not football. 60-58 scores are entertaining, but is it better. Plus all the offensive records will be broken easily in today's game.

satan tried to legislate away an offense that he can't handle very well.  Very chicken shizzle of him, but basically he cheats any way he can.

I don't mind the HUNH.  People always talk about "it's not football", etc, but the fact is the game is evolving all the time.  Believe it or not, there used to be a thing called "ties" not so terribly long ago, there used to be no divisions in the SEC, there used to be no playoff. 

Do you want to go back to leather helmets and 6-3 games? 

I also don't buy that defenses just can't handle the HUNH.  It's been shut down quite a bit.  I'd like to see Baylor try what they do against bammer, uf, LSU, or even us.

And for the record, Baylor has played literally the 107th worst schedule in the country.  Their starting QB is out, and I think it's likely they stumble a bit against the tougher part of their schedule.

But back to the HUNH....if the offense can innovate, the defense should not be allowed to change the rules.  That's just un-American.  Although, since unlimited contributions are now allowed to politicians maybe it's not so un-American 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 05:18:11 EDT »

I'm not a fan of all this spread, hurry-up offensive football. But to say it isn't football is a little far-fetched. Football is football. Any team that doesn't strategize to give itself its best chance of beating its opponents is a team not worth its salt.

In General Neyland's final years, the NCAA changed its rules to allow unlimited substitution -- which put an end to players going both ways. But two-platoon football had its critics, and in 1954, Neyland led a charge to return to one-platoon football. In fact, one of my favorite stories about Neyland is him sitting at the committee table in 1954. As the story goes, he yells, "I make a motion to return to one-platoon football," then grabbed the arm of the guy sitting next to him and jerked it up as a second. Then he roared, "Any objections? No? Good! The ayes have it, and we'll have no chicken-shizzle football this year."

It worked. The NCAA didn't go back to two-platoon football until after Neyland's death.

General Neyland felt the same way about unlimited substitutions as Nick Saban feels about hurry-up offenses. Two excellent coaches, both of who just happen to have been wrong. Hopefully, hurry-up, no-huddle offense is a passing fad...but there have been plenty of advancements of the game that were far more than passing fads, and I suspect this is too.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 05:55:28 EDT »

satan tried to legislate away an offense that he can't handle very well.  Very chicken shizzle of him, but basically he cheats any way he can.

I don't mind the HUNH.  People always talk about "it's not football", etc, but the fact is the game is evolving all the time.  Believe it or not, there used to be a thing called "ties" not so terribly long ago, there used to be no divisions in the SEC, there used to be no playoff. 

Do you want to go back to leather helmets and 6-3 games? 

I also don't buy that defenses just can't handle the HUNH.  It's been shut down quite a bit.  I'd like to see Baylor try what they do against bammer, uf, LSU, or even us.

And for the record, Baylor has played literally the 107th worst schedule in the country.  Their starting QB is out, and I think it's likely they stumble a bit against the tougher part of their schedule.

But back to the HUNH....if the offense can innovate, the defense should not be allowed to change the rules.  That's just un-American.  Although, since unlimited contributions are now allowed to politicians maybe it's not so un-American 
I see your point, but in the last few years the rules favor the offense. The game is geared for the offense. DB's have to walk on eggshells to defend a receiver. Pass interference is called very inconsistent. Defense needs a break to catch up.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 07:30:23 EDT »

I see your point, but in the last few years the rules favor the offense. The game is geared for the offense. DB's have to walk on eggshells to defend a receiver. Pass interference is called very inconsistent. Defense needs a break to catch up.

What rules have changed? The HUNH is using existing rules.  Saban has whined extensively about it as has his mouthpiece Paul Finebaum.

If the HUNH is one of the few weaknesses satan has, the last thing I want is to weaken it particularly when Vols are good at it at the moment.

The thought of changing rules to placate that crybaby saban sickens me. He basically acts like an overgrown toddler when he doesn't get his way.

Wahhhh! The HUNH is not fair.

Wahhh! I didnt like what that reporter said.

Wahhh! I didnt like that call.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:43:40 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 04:05:29 EST »

What rules have changed? The HUNH is using existing rules.  Saban has whined extensively about it as has his mouthpiece Paul Finebaum.

If the HUNH is one of the few weaknesses satan has, the last thing I want is to weaken it particularly when Vols are goid at it at the moment.

The thought of changing rules tobplacatecthat crybaby saban sickens me. He basically acts like an overgrown toddler when he doesnt get his way.

Wahhhh! The HUNH is not fair.

Wahhh! I didnt like what that reporter said.

Wahhh! I didnt like that call.

The rule change was the introduction of the 40 second clock change around 2008. I was involved in a long thread here when most were not aware of the changes to the game the rule has made. I quoted the best source possible, Rules Committee Secretary-Editor and National Coordinator of Officials Rogers Redding, of the changes the rule has made in the game. I'm not going into this further as the last time we discussed this topic it started a thread several pages long until I quoted Redding to verify my position, and I no longer have the time it takes here to debate such issues.

Note that Creek (imo the board's best poster) is right as usual. I also pointed out the same story as he regarding Neyland in the thread concerning the 40 second rule.

BG
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:19:22 EST by BGHarper » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 04:18:52 EST »

The rule change was the introduction of the forty second clock change around 2008. I was involved in a long thread here when most where not aware of the changes to the game the rule has made. I quoted the best source possible, Rules Committee Secretary-Editor and National Coordinator of Officials Rogers Redding, of the changes the rule has made in the game. I'm not going into this further as the last time we discussed this topic it started a thread several pages long until I quoted Redding, and I no longer have the time it takes here to debate such issues.

BG
and the has to do with what exactly?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 04:22:38 EST »

and the has to do with what exactly?
Read his question about what rules have changed.

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 04:48:33 EST »

The rule change was the introduction of the 40 second clock change around 2008. I was involved in a long thread here when most were not aware of the changes to the game the rule has made. I quoted the best source possible, Rules Committee Secretary-Editor and National Coordinator of Officials Rogers Redding, of the changes the rule has made in the game. I'm not going into this further as the last time we discussed this topic it started a thread several pages long until I quoted Redding to verify my position, and I no longer have the time it takes here to debate such issues.

Note that Creek (imo the board's best poster) is right as usual. I also pointed out the same story as he regarding Neyland in the thread concerning the 40 second rule.

BG

well of course you like CW....he licks saban's taint all the time and is a closet bammer fan 

As for the rule change, I will search the older thread and read through it, but look here:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2008/association-wide/football+rules+changes+succeed+shorter+games+faster+play+result+-+10-08-08+-+ncaa+news.html

The immediate impact of the rules change was to have fewer offensive plays and less yardage and scoring.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: