VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 02:24:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Heupel Effect  (Read 883 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2021, 05:01:58 EST »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 05:05:16 EST »

the shift in stats are hard to comprehend, I can't even fathom what's possible if he can get two great recruiting classes. \

I'm cautiously optimistic 

11B4PJ3F7
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 06:19:44 EST »

Now let's work on the defense. If he can get some strong recruits we will be a tough out for everybody we play.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 07:56:58 EST »

There is a clear trend in those numbers, for sure.  I would make the case the Heupel is a keeper on those #'s alone, obviously.  However, there is another characteristic that stands out to me as well:

Kinda subjective, but I call it comfortable wins.  We all know about how UT has struggled against teams that it should beat handily.  I don't know how many times I have watched a game that should have been an easy win, yet the just mind numbing play of the Vols would keep the result of the contest in doubt till the end of the game.  How many times has this happened over the last few decades????  dozens....Rutgers in 2002 comes to mind.  We ended up winning by 21, IIRC, but dammit we really struggled against a well coached, but inferior team.  There are many other examples.

Anyway, I subjectively define a comfortable win as a win that is greater than 21 pts.  22 and higher with the margin of victory.  It is interesting to see how many comfortable wins we have had thru the years.

Not including this year,

this century, we have only had 3, yeah 3, seasons with 4 or more comfy wins - 2015 (5), 2011 (4), and 2002 (4, barely).  From 2016 thru 2020, we had either 1 or 2 comfy wins...unbelievable.

This year, 2021, we have had 6 comfy wins.  4 of those wins had a MoV of 32 and higher.

We had 6 comfy wins in '99, and 8 in '93.  Those are the only other seasons with 6 or more.  2021 is in company with 99 & 93!  Pretty amazing stat.  In the late 80s and thru the 90s, most seasons had 4 or 5 comfy wins.  Of the last 40 years, only 2 have no comfy wins - '88 (of course) and 2005.

It's a weird stat, yeah - dependent on SOS and other things, but it is a decent yardstick of a team's power, IMO.  6 big wins for this year is pretty amazing, if you ask me.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 09:15:45 EST »

There is a clear trend in those numbers, for sure.  I would make the case the Heupel is a keeper on those #'s alone, obviously.  However, there is another characteristic that stands out to me as well:

Kinda subjective, but I call it comfortable wins.  We all know about how UT has struggled against teams that it should beat handily.  I don't know how many times I have watched a game that should have been an easy win, yet the just mind numbing play of the Vols would keep the result of the contest in doubt till the end of the game.  How many times has this happened over the last few decades????  dozens....Rutgers in 2002 comes to mind.  We ended up winning by 21, IIRC, but dammit we really struggled against a well coached, but inferior team.  There are many other examples.

Anyway, I subjectively define a comfortable win as a win that is greater than 21 pts.  22 and higher with the margin of victory.  It is interesting to see how many comfortable wins we have had thru the years.

Not including this year,

this century, we have only had 3, yeah 3, seasons with 4 or more comfy wins - 2015 (5), 2011 (4), and 2002 (4, barely).  From 2016 thru 2020, we had either 1 or 2 comfy wins...unbelievable.

This year, 2021, we have had 6 comfy wins.  4 of those wins had a MoV of 32 and higher.

We had 6 comfy wins in '99, and 8 in '93.  Those are the only other seasons with 6 or more.  2021 is in company with 99 & 93!  Pretty amazing stat.  In the late 80s and thru the 90s, most seasons had 4 or 5 comfy wins.  Of the last 40 years, only 2 have no comfy wins - '88 (of course) and 2005.

It's a weird stat, yeah - dependent on SOS and other things, but it is a decent yardstick of a team's power, IMO.  6 big wins for this year is pretty amazing, if you ask me.

It says something that we had a "blah" game (the only one this year) against Candy yet we were never threatened and beat them by 24 and really spent the 4th quarter just milking the clock & running the ball

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 02:08:45 EST »

Amazing stats!

BDV I have noticed the MOV also, but you quantified it which is very interesting.  It's true Fulmer teams struggled against lesser opponents more frequently after 2000, and your stats bear that out. I would submit though, that with the exception of maybe 2008, we struggled more against teams we should have beaten under any subsequent coach.  It shows how far we have fallen.

Great credit to Heupel for turning this around.

I do have to point out though, that Hooker clicked in this system and we are dam fortunate that he did.  The no.1 reason for the difference between this season and last is JG vs Hooker IMO.  I am sure Heupels system is a considerable part of the influence also, but imagine what the numbers would look like with Morton or (shudder) JG.  Having said that, Heupel would have benched JG.  Assuming Heupel was stuck with what we had last season my guess is that Mauer or Bailey would be the starter.    But thank God we don't have that problem now.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: