VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:34:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A step closer to freeing the grapes  (Read 12173 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:01 EST »

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140130/NEWS02/301300097

Still has to pass in the house and be signed by the Gov, and then counties only have the option to allow it and would have to have a referendum I guess. No substantial change until 2016 at the earliest. Still, I think common sense will finally prevail.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:57:14 EST »

You have buy wine in liquor stores in TN? Are there no wine shops?

I can't believe any state could be more backward than SC when it comes to alcohol.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:03:32 EST »

I can't believe any state could be more backward than SC when it comes to alcohol.

Yep.  Only beer is available in grocery stores.

And stores that sell liquor and wine (we call them package stores) can't sell beer or food. 

And package stores can't be open on Sunday. 

Whenever I go to a state where wine is sold in grocery stores I usually load up with several cases of wine.  It's generally much less costly in those states.  In fact, sometimes I feel like Junior Johnson back in his pre-NASCAR days coming over the state line.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:40:55 EST »

Unless things have changed, in Pennsylvania you can get wine and liquor at state-owned "State Stores," and beer at a "Beer Distributor" or other licensed beer store (usually for smaller amounts).  At one time neither were open on Sundays, but I think that may have changed.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:47:47 EST »

Damn, you can by all types of alcohol at Walmart here. Savings are pretty nice.

volsboyinsodak
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 12:17:31 EST »

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140130/NEWS02/301300097

Still has to pass in the house and be signed by the Gov, and then counties only have the option to allow it and would have to have a referendum I guess. No substantial change until 2016 at the earliest. Still, I think common sense will finally prevail.

I've never understood the rules on selling alcohol. Any licensed vendor should be able to sell it 24/7, 365 if they want. They call it freedom
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 12:42:43 EST »

It has negatively impacted our economy, too.  When Costco decided to open in the Chattanooga area, they built right across the state line in Ft. Oglethorpe GA specifically so they could sell wine.  Otherwise, they would've built in the E. Brainerd/Gunbarrel area.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 12:58:17 EST »

I don't drink due to religious convictions, but never understood why alcohol laws are so onerous. In NC I think the state owns all liquor stores or something. Weird.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 01:27:27 EST »

We can't buy alcohol on Sundays in stores or in restaurants in the county. But we can inside the city limits. And we're limited to how much we can buy direct shipped from out of state wineries. But I, uh, ahem, have ignored that limit.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:22:51 EST »

Yep.  Only beer is available in grocery stores.

And stores that sell liquor and wine (we call them package stores) can't sell beer or food. 

And package stores can't be open on Sunday. 

Whenever I go to a state where wine is sold in grocery stores I usually load up with several cases of wine.  It's generally much less costly in those states.  In fact, sometimes I feel like Junior Johnson back in his pre-NASCAR days coming over the state line.   

??? confusing rules are confusing

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 05:53:46 EST »

??? confusing rules are confusing

I grew up with it, so I believe I gotta grip: Rule #1 - The State crontrols the sale of wine & spirits, which I believe to be above a 7% alcohol content. Rule #2 - The counties control the rest of alcohol and sales are dependent on referendum. Wine & spirits must be bagged for sales, not beer (or so it was.... now???).

When I was a late teen, the drinking age in TN was 18 and it wasn't illegal to drink and drive until 20yrs later in the '90s. It was illegal to be drunk and driving, though (no open container law). When I was 14, I had a buddy whose sister was so hot, she could buy us beer when she was 12yo!!!!

G   
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 07:06:56 EST »

Passed the house 71 to 15 with only minor modifications. 

http://www.wate.com/story/24775871/tennessee-house-passes-wine-in-supermarkets-bill

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 07:14:22 EST »

Passed the house 71 to 15 with only minor modifications. 

http://www.wate.com/story/24775871/tennessee-house-passes-wine-in-supermarkets-bill

Happy to see it.

We were in Kroger in Augusta before heading home yesterday and went down the wine aisle.  I bought a couple of cases to bring home, and saved about a third over what I pay for it in "package" stores in Knoxville.  I hope that trend carries over to us when wine is available in our grocery stores. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
CONSIGLIEREG8R
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 04:27:17 EST »

We can't buy alcohol on Sundays in stores or in restaurants in the county. But we can inside the city limits. And we're limited to how much we can buy direct shipped from out of state wineries. But I, uh, ahem, have ignored that limit.

Glad I could help your outlaw lifestyle!
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 05:19:50 EST »

Glad I could help your outlaw lifestyle!

Which makes you an accomplice. 

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 04:25:42 EST »

Happy to see it.

We were in Kroger in Augusta before heading home yesterday and went down the wine aisle.  I bought a couple of cases to bring home, and saved about a third over what I pay for it in "package" stores in Knoxville.  I hope that trend carries over to us when wine is available in our grocery stores. 
Put the brakes on any savings though....the bill that was passed by the house requires the grocery stores to have a 20% markup on wine in order to keep the big box retailers from undercutting the package stores!!!!   They also wont let the grocers sell on sunday since the package stores cant. There were amendments offered to remover these restrictions but they failed.  So, we may be able to buy in grocery and convenient stores but the savings will not be allowed. I think it sucks, should be about free market and what is best for the consumers.  JMO.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 05:32:38 EST »

As long as the hard liquor lobby is allowed to bribe the Tennessee lawmakers with campaign contributions and cases of booze, they will always favor them. Liquor in Tennessee is a closed monopoly system controlled by the families that own the distributorships and they do not want to allow anyone to cut in on their profits and easy money. Will they go out of business? No.  Will competition cut in on the millions they make each year? Yes.  Some serious money must have passed under the table to allow this to happen.

As much as the GOP carries on about free enterprise and government interference and regulation of business, they are still hypocrites when it comes to passing laws that restrict and favor one business over another. In Tennessee, if you bribe the right state officials (and campaign contributions and hiring family members are a bribe), you can get most legislation passed.  Having a governor that is rich and does not believe that rules apply to the rich... well our government is for sale or for rent.

I drink beer so I do not care if wine is for sale or not. But Government has no right to limit and control business as long as it does not impact the public safety. If a store goes out of business, so what?  State government should not be in the business of protecting a business from competition or favoring one over another.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 06:58:16 EST »

Put the brakes on any savings though....the bill that was passed by the house requires the grocery stores to have a 20% markup on wine in order to keep the big box retailers from undercutting the package stores!!!!   They also wont let the grocers sell on sunday since the package stores cant. There were amendments offered to remover these restrictions but they failed.  So, we may be able to buy in grocery and convenient stores but the savings will not be allowed. I think it sucks, should be about free market and what is best for the consumers.  JMO.

I understand.  But what we don't know is where that 20% will actually put the price point, and will the big retailers get a better wholesale price than smaller retailers will which would lower what that plus 20% will actually be.  There are still a lot of questions to be answered. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 11:05:25 EST »

Well FWIW, liquor taxes are much less in Tennessee than bammer.  I had a neighbor who used to have me buy booze for him in Tennessee to save money, since I travel to Knoxville so much.

And wine is all over the place here in bammer.  Some convenience and even grocery stores seem to be getting taken over by it.  Which I don't think is a good thing (sorry Droner  ).  I really don't want the A in USA to stand for alcohol...nothing like a nation of drunks?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 11:17:06 EST »

And wine is all over the place here in bammer.  Some convenience and even grocery stores seem to be getting taken over by it.  Which I don't think is a good thing (sorry Droner  ).  I really don't want the A in USA to stand for alcohol...nothing like a nation of drunks?   

Selling wine in grocery stores isn't going to produce any more people who drink it.  It's simply going to make it more convenient for the consumer to purchase and allegedly more market driven in price than it is now. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 11:22:52 EST »

Selling wine in grocery stores isn't going to produce any more people who drink it.  It's simply going to make it more convenient for the consumer to purchase and allegedly more market driven in price than it is now. 

Well it's been going on for several years and I have noticed a growth in the number of displays lately...not a trend I like.

That's what I was saying. 

I think convenience does matter some though, since you brought it up.  Someone who had not thought of buying wine might see it in the grocery store and decide to get some.   But that's probably a secondary effect...my main point is that the spaces devoted to wine are getting larger and larger, and I really hope it doesn't mean we are turning into a nation of drunks.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 04:30:38 EST »

I don't think buying wine...even if it's your first time brought on by convenience...equates to being a drunk. I would argue that those who purchase wine do not purchase it for its intoxicating properties. There are other products that are better suited to satisfy the needs of "drunks".
Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 04:33:32 EST »

I don't think buying wine...even if it's your first time brought on by convenience...equates to being a drunk. I would argue that those who purchase wine do not purchase it for its intoxicating properties. There are other products that are better suited to satisfy the needs of "drunks".

What? You've never heard someone say, "Here, hold my merlot! Y'all watch this!!"?

Yeah, me neither.
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 05:25:03 EST »

What? You've never heard someone say, "Here, hold my merlot! Y'all watch this!!"?

Yeah, me neither.
Har har har!!!

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 04:10:19 EST »

Yeah, that one left me shaking my head, too, Stogie.  Save us from all of the good people. 

Not much better than a glass of good red wine and a fine premium cigar on the deck after dinner, as far as I am concerned.  But I guess that makes me a drunken reprobate in some people's minds.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: