VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 03:29:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK VTTW hipsters (all one or two of you) Don't miss this.  (Read 3493 times)
CONSIGLIEREG8R
Walk-On

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:43:35 EST »

Todd Snider
Todd plays two special solo shows this weekend.

Friday, Feb. 28th - Bijou Theatre - Knoxville, TN w. Amanda Shires supporting 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:29:03 EST »

Todd Snider
Todd plays two special solo shows this weekend.

Friday, Feb. 28th - Bijou Theatre - Knoxville, TN w. Amanda Shires supporting 

Well, I don't think I would be considered a "hipster" by any means, but I have tickets for the show and look forward to hearing "Play A Train Song" among others. 

I also saw a really good show on Tuesday at the Bijou - The Four On The Floor Tour, with The Josh Abbott Band, Stoney LaRue, Wade Bowen, and The Randy Rogers Band.  One of the better shows I have seen in a long time. 

Amanda Shires is married to Jason Isbell (formerly of the Drive By Truckers), by the way. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:30:21 EST »

Also not a hipster, also enjoy Todd Snider. But I can't go this weekend and don't like live music much anyway.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:32:37 EST »

Also not a hipster, also enjoy Todd Snider. But I can't go this weekend and don't like live music much anyway.

Interesting, CO.  You don't like live music? 

I'm pretty much the opposite.  I prefer live to studio.  I much prefer recordings of live performances to studio recording.  I enjoy the emotion of live. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 01:32:52 EST »

Last concert I went to was BJ Thomas on the 4th of July in 1990, on Mud Island in Memphis. Pretty much stopped doing concerts in the 70's.

Never was a big music buff except for the old country of the 50's and 60's.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 04:11:19 EST »

Last concert I went to was BJ Thomas on the 4th of July in 1990, on Mud Island in Memphis. Pretty much stopped doing concerts in the 70's.

Never was a big music buff except for the old country of the 50's and 60's.

Music is sanity to me and my definitely better half.  We probably average seeing a live act a week.  Love to do shows at smaller venues like the Bijou and Tennessee, and we also go to Asheville and Nashville quite often to see shows, as well. 

With my son headed to Fort Hood next month I suspect we'll hit some of the Austin venues and see more of the Red Dirt/Texas Country type bands that we really like.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 04:20:23 EST »

Music is sanity to me and my definitely better half.  We probably average seeing a live act a week.  Love to do shows at smaller venues like the Bijou and Tennessee, and we also go to Asheville and Nashville quite often to see shows, as well. 

With my son headed to Fort Hood next month I suspect we'll hit some of the Austin venues and see more of the Red Dirt/Texas Country type bands that we really like.

Ft Hood, AKA middle of nowhere, TX

Of course I went to wacko 49 times in the mid 90s.  Speaking of wacko, on the north side of town is a joint on the West side of the I-35 called Heitmiller's.  GREAT CF Steak!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 05:04:51 EST »

Thanks for the tip.  I will keep that in mind.

The best thing about Fort Hood is that is is not in South Korea, which is where it looked for a good while like he was headed, and with a new grandson that wasn't going over very well with Gramps and Gram.  Fortunately a command of a signal unit came open at Hood, and he jumped on it. 

We're actually ok with it.  There are lots of flight options in to DFW and then its only about a 2 1/2 hour drive from there. 

Billy and his Mrs. are both ok with Hood, and while its a thousand miles from us, so are we. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 01:50:39 EST »

Interesting, CO.  You don't like live music? 

I'm pretty much the opposite.  I prefer live to studio.  I much prefer recordings of live performances to studio recording.  I enjoy the emotion of live. 

Live can be OK. Some performers are engaging with the crowd, have good stories, etc. But in most cases the studio versions of songs are what the artist had in mind, and I think the vast majority of cases the quality is just far better.

But as much as anything I don't care for big crowds and packed houses-- and if I go out with CObh and/or friends, I want to be able to have a conversation. When there's live music you pretty much lose that option (and I'm talking very small venues now-- bars, restaurants, coffee shops).

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 05:05:39 EST »

It was a great show.  Amanda Shires' husband, Jason Isbell (outstanding musician and songwriter, currently has a band called The 400 Unit, was with the Drive By Truckers for a long time and he sold out The Bijou earlier in February) , backed her up in her opening set, and then both Amanda and Jason played with Todd.  It was a really neat show - Todd did nothing but requests for two hours. 

Fun night, and a good crowd. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: