VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 02:50:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like AU has their coach...Boise State coach Bryan Harsin  (Read 1481 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2020, 12:37:11 EST »

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/12/auburn-expected-to-hire-boise-states-bryan-harsin.html
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 01:27:19 EST »

If he is they guy and being from out of the region, they probably convinced him that he needed to keep a portion of the current staff for recruiting. His buyout is rumored to be $8M so $30M just for the ability to switch from Gus to Harsin.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 08:17:42 EST »

If he is they guy and being from out of the region, they probably convinced him that he needed to keep a portion of the current staff for recruiting. His buyout is rumored to be $8M so $30M just for the ability to switch from Gus to Harsin.

That's nuts.  Hope it works for them.  Not. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 01:37:16 EST »

Oh it WAS required!
The reason they are down so far on their list is either they obtained a significant raise (see Nike) for the coach or they balked at retaining, as a minimum, Steele and the bag man
I was literally on the phone with my Auburn fan when the news leaked out.  To say he was less than enthused would be an understatement.
We'll see how well he does going from the king of the mountain to the cut throat world of SEC football

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 04:44:49 EST »

I would venture to say Harsin is a better coach than any of our last three. But the SEC is a different world than the MWC. He better be a good recruiter, and I don't mean getting good WAC type recruits. He has to get good SEC type recruits. Bama and UGa were #1 and 2 this last signing day. UF was right behind them. It isn't getting any easier to be an SEC coach at any school other than these.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 05:50:11 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 05:24:36 EST »

I'd say he will keep Steele and Garner at the least.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 11:39:27 EST »

Someone posted on another site that Harsin has sent something like 18 players to the NFL from Boise State, the great majority of them 3 star and under.  Have to admit that's impressive.  Might do well at Auburn.

It's not like Malzahn was awful though.  Should be interesting to watch.  My take is that they could have done worse.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 06:02:55 EST »

I think people throw the term "good coach" around too loosely. How many great coaches are in the playoff hunt one year and 4-8 the next? How does that happen? Great coaches should recruit well every year to replace their talent. Like Fulmer. How did he go from National Champ to 4-8. What happened to his recruiting that he had only enough talent to go 4-8. Do you honestly see Saban ever going 4-8 at Bama anytime in the future. Same with Jimbo Fischer. What happened that his talent went away enough to go 4-8 at FSU? If you recruit well every year, how do you go 4-8. What is your excuse for Fulmer? 

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 08:19:22 EST »

I think people throw the term "good coach" around too loosely. How many great coaches are in the playoff hunt one year and 4-8 the next? How does that happen? Great coaches should recruit well every year to replace their talent. Like Fulmer. How did he go from National Champ to 4-8. What happened to his recruiting that he had only enough talent to go 4-8. Do you honestly see Saban ever going 4-8 at Bama anytime in the future. Same with Jimbo Fischer. What happened that his talent went away enough to go 4-8 at FSU? If you recruit well every year, how do you go 4-8. What is your excuse for Fulmer? 

Man it gets so old having to wade through post after post about overrated coaches. Good grief you are a broken record.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 06:27:21 EST »

Fulmer never went 4-8, where did you get that?  He did go 5-7, but arguably we lost the Wyoming game because he got fired that week, and there was a huge gap from 2008 to 1998, literally 11 years.  You seem pretty uninformed about our history actually.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: