VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 10:09:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Imagine that.. Cade Mays denied transfer waiver, UT is appealing..  (Read 1814 times)
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2020, 01:08:36 EDT »

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2020/08/17/cade-mays-transfer-waiver-denied-tennessee-vols-football-georgia/5430794002/
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 01:18:20 EDT »

I'm not sure how I feel about this. In theory, I support Pruitt's call for a one-time transfer allowance. But as frustrating as it is for Pruitt for Cade's appeal to be denied, imagine how frustrating it is for Smart that he transferred. You recruit these kids and build around them with the assumption that you'll have them for four years (or at least three). If they decide to transfer to a divisional rival, shouldn't there be some sort of penalty?

But the arbitrary nature of the whole process sucks. We either need a one-time transfer rule, or there shouldn't be a waiver for anyone, regardless of circumstance.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 01:28:21 EDT »

I'm not sure how I feel about this. In theory, I support Pruitt's call for a one-time transfer allowance. But as frustrating as it is for Pruitt for Cade's appeal to be denied, imagine how frustrating it is for Smart that he transferred. You recruit these kids and build around them with the assumption that you'll have them for four years (or at least three). If they decide to transfer to a divisional rival, shouldn't there be some sort of penalty?

But the arbitrary nature of the whole process sucks. We either need a one-time transfer rule, or there shouldn't be a waiver for anyone, regardless of circumstance.

Smart got 2 QB transfers approved within a month....One being the 5 star Daniel kid from USCw. Got a feeling there will be a appeal coming.

IMO UT/Fulmer dropped the ball....The NCAA announced in April that they would not be voting on the transfer rule in May as scheduled. Based on what I've read UT didn't send in his paperwork until July.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:35:42 EDT »

I hate the transfer rule. As I've said before, I would not allow transfers without sitting a year - no exceptions.

That said, the NCAA approval and denial process is garbage imo. There seems to be no practical method to those who are approved and that is the issue that I have with any denials.

That said, UT should have applied for this as soon as Mays enrolled. There is no excuse that I can think of for not doing an immediate application.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 05:10:28 EDT »

Jay Bilas said it well

Jay Bilas
@JayBilas
Good grief. With all we’re going through, Cade Mays has his transfer waiver denied? The NCAA has a chance to right this wrong on appeal, and should. Mays didn’t have a choice but to leave Georgia, and the NCAA knows it. Too bad Mays isn’t a QB...he’d be eligible immediately.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jay-bilas-rips-ncaa-for-denying-cade-mays-eligibility-waiver-for-2020-season/
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 05:30:51 EDT »

Why did Mays have no choice but to leave UGa? Was it over the lawsuit or his brother. I don't feel sorry for him. He should have came to Knoxville from the get-go. I get the impression that trouble is going to follow him everywhere he goes. I remember his signing day BS. But in this day and age if they can play well, nothing they do character wise matters. All is forgiven.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 06:04:46 EDT »

Smart got 2 QB transfers approved within a month....One being the 5 star Daniel kid from USCw. Got a feeling there will be a appeal coming.

Yes, which is why I say the arbitrary nature of the process needs to be eliminated. It stinks to high heavens and it hurts the NCAA's credibility even more (if that's possible at this point).
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 06:16:39 EDT »

Yes, which is why I say the arbitrary nature of the process needs to be eliminated. It stinks to high heavens and it hurts the NCAA's credibility even more (if that's possible at this point).
Amen. Transfers need to set out a year. Elite teams will recruit transfers. It just looks shady for a player to transfer and be eligible right away, especially at a top 10 program. However, it also sucks for a coach to be able to leave and coach elsewhere immediately. Isn't what is fair for a coach fair for a player. I'm torn with this scenario. However, I will side with the player in most cases. They need to make coaches set out a year.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 07:20:48 EDT »

There have been several others that were denied.... The QB that transferred from FL to KY was denied too. Based on what I've read it looks like a lot are transfers within the same conference that played for one team this calendar year (2020) then transferred to another team within the same conference who also played in a game in 2020.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: