VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 09:02:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'mma just leave this right here.  (Read 2593 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:06:43 EDT »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17226092/woman-accusing-florida-gators-players-sexual-assault-boycotts-title-ix-hearing

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:32:13 EDT »

Boom.

I will say again though, the problem is firmly rooted in college students being drunk and high all the time.  Address that, most of this goes away.  IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:22:26 EDT »

Boom.

I will say again though, the problem is firmly rooted in college students being drunk and high all the time.  Address that, most of this goes away.  IMO.

Yep....and it's been going on for many, many years. Back in the day college kids would go to parties...have too much to drink...have 1 night stands and then be forgotten about most of the time. Today you get in serious trouble. Different times.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:07:33 EDT »

For a group of fans who were such experts on this subject when we were going through our issues, they sure seem woefully unprepared for what's coming their way. 

"But the evidence says he's innocent".  Yeah, our guys were innocent, too.  As if that matters.   

I'll admit it, I'm really going to enjoy watching this.  It's nice to see our rivals get the same public rectal exam we went through.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 04:01:05 EDT »

Yep....and it's been going on for many, many years. Back in the day college kids would go to parties...have too much to drink...have 1 night stands and then be forgotten about most of the time. Today you get in serious trouble. Different times.

Yes, but it's changed in some ways.  Students now consider "drunk" to mean "blackout drunk", and it's more prevalent than it was.  

Whereas students back in the day might drink to get buzzed or do maybe 5 shots in a hour to get drunk, studies have found that the "new norm" for getting drunk is 10 drinks in a night.  Not beers but shots.

I read a really good article about that recently, but can't find it at the moment.  

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:05:15 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 04:04:35 EDT »

Found it

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/09/how-helicopter-parents-cause-binge-drinking/492722/

Long article, but shed some light I thought.

College drinking, including extreme heavy drinking, has been a tradition since the 19th century. Because of this, it can be hard to convince middle-aged people that something has changed. But the consistent—at times urgent, at times resigned—report from college officials is that something has gone terribly awry and that huge numbers of students regularly transform the American campus into a college-themed spin-off of The Walking Dead. They vomit endlessly, destroy property, become the victims or perpetrators of sexual events ranging from the unpleasant to the criminal, get rushed off in ambulances, and join the ever-growing waiting lists for counseling. Depression and anxiety go hand in hand with heavy drinking, and both are at epidemic proportions on campus.

How much are these students drinking? We don’t know. In 1994, Harvard’s College Alcohol Study established what is still the prevailing definition of a college binge: five or more drinks in a row for a man, and four or more for a woman. But while this measure may have been useful a quarter century ago, it’s essentially useless today, when bingers often have 10 or more drinks in a night. The change on campuses may involve not the number of students drinking but the intensity with which they drink—by the traditional measure, fewer students are binge drinking, but of those who do, a sizable number are now doing so to the extreme. A study published in 2011 in the American Journal of Health Education found that 77 percent of college freshmen “drink to get drunk”—and what today’s college student calls being “drunk” is oftentimes something an expert would define as being in a blackout.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: