VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 06:38:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me out here, am I wrong to be so concerned about  (Read 3729 times)
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:59:51 EST »

this game? I worry that Dobbs, not being a great passer, will be even worse given the frigid weather (anyone who has thrown a football in freezing temps knows how it affects your ability to grip the ball) not to mention the increased probability of drops due to the cold. Also, Dobbs is only a true asset if he can run effectively and he's appeared gimpy the past 2 weeks. The OL struggled to open running lanes against two terrible defenses the past 2 weeks. All of this against a very good D (top 4 in all defensive cat's), at their place and the last home game for their departing coach....what are y'alls thoughts? The only saving grace is the O is really, really bad....are we in for a 1970 era Vol vs Bama type score of 9-6?           
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 04:37:44 EST »

this game? I worry that Dobbs, not being a great passer, will be even worse given the frigid weather (anyone who has thrown a football in freezing temps knows how it affects your ability to grip the ball) not to mention the increased probability of drops due to the cold. Also, Dobbs is only a true asset if he can run effectively and he's appeared gimpy the past 2 weeks. The OL struggled to open running lanes against two terrible defenses the past 2 weeks. All of this against a very good D (top 4 in all defensive cat's), at their place and the last home game for their departing coach....what are y'alls thoughts? The only saving grace is the O is really, really bad....are we in for a 1970 era Vol vs Bama type score of 9-6?           

You are right to be worried about Dobb's passing in this cold.  Heck, you are right to be worried about him passing in ANY weather.   

Having said that, our rush offense has been good all year and the cold probably favors running the ball.  Dobbs was deliberately held back against N Texas (only four attempts) and I am on record as saying I think that's an excess of caution. I heard that Dobb's himself said he wasn't concerned about his foot.

I think they take the wraps off Dobbs, we rush for over 200 yards, and win comfortably because their offense is simply putrid.

But we will see....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 05:16:14 EST »

The weather will be cold, with 20-30 mph winds. There won't be much passing.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 05:22:48 EST »

I would say 17-7 Vols. I don't think Mizzu will score much.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 05:25:24 EST »

The weather will be cold, with 20-30 mph winds. There won't be much passing.

Actually light winds, less than 10 (winds are dropping at sunset)
Still freaking cold, below freezing with wind chills in the low to mid 20s range

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 10:38:43 EST »

Actually light winds, less than 10 (winds are dropping at sunset)
Still freaking cold, below freezing with wind chills in the low to mid 20s range

It was pretty cold there two years ago when they stomped us in Butch's first year en route to the SECC.  We helped them get there by beating USC jr.

It's time to pay them back.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:08 EST »

It was pretty cold there two years ago when they stomped us in Butch's first year en route to the SECC.  We helped them get there by beating USC jr.

It's time to pay them back.   
plan to park in the same garage

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 01:36:45 EST »

A couple things:

1.  IF Dobbs is healthy, I'm not concerned about how the cold weather affects him.  Remember, he had his breakout game (and arguably one of the top 5 UT QB games EVER) in pretty frigid conditions at USC last year.  Let's just hope he's 100% healthy. 

2.  Remember that last year's Mizzou game came just a couple days after AJ Johnson was suspended.  Bynum was forced into the starting lineup as his replacement, and had, well, a pretty horrible game.  In fact, I think we win that game with AJ in there.   Let's just hope that there are no surprise injuries/suspensions tomorrow. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 06:07:25 EST »

plan to park in the same garage

I won't make it this year.  I have only been to OU and N Tejas so far.  I'll probably come to Vandy next week.  If you have an extra for that, I;ll take it.

My logic in going to homecoming this year is as follows.  Here are the last   game games I attended:

OU 2015 31-24 loss in OT 
bammer 2014 34-20 loss
gaytors 2014 9-10 loss 
OU 2014 34-10 shellacking
AU 2013 55-23 embarrassment at HC 
Mizzou 2013 31-3 road ass kicking by Mizzou
USC jr 2012 38-35 heart breaker on the road
bammer 2012 44-13 loss perhaps the worst effort I have ever seen by a Vol team 
MSU 2012 31-21 loss a game we should have won
Arkansas 2011 49-7 loss should have been much, much closer 
USC jr 2011 14-3 loss Drools should never have started Worley IMO 
Vandy 2010 A WIN!  24-14 in Nashvegas

In short, I had not, prior to last Saturday, seen the Vols win in person since 2010, and that includes some painful, embarrassing, and inexplicable losses in that streak

Disclaimer....I may have attended 2012 UK game....I truly can't recall, but either way it had been a long time since I saw a win in person 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: