VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 09:03:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BDV, what the hayul is going on at Hooterville High?  (Read 5878 times)
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2016, 05:04:53 EST »

I understand a little bit of hazing on the new members but sexual assault (apparently with a pool cue) and an 8 day stay in the hospital for the victim?  That's way way over the line.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:18:23 EST »

I don't know, but there have been some incidents with the football team (not to this extent) in recent years, too.  Their all-state LB got in trouble and kicked off the team right before the playoffs this year.  I have a feeling some adults are going lose their jobs this time.  And they should probably shut down basketball for this season, at least.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:17:31 EST »

Op/Ed from Roy Exum:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/1/2/315261/Roy-Exum-The-Ooltewah-Debacle.aspx#.VogVWy8Lecs.facebook

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 06:11:11 EST »

In no way am I trying to diminish what happened, but when Exum was still at the old NFP, he had a reputation of making an extraordinary situation sound even MORE extraordinary.  He would exaggerate and sometimes even make up some small details.  For instance, nowhere else have a read that the pool cue was broken, and the jagged end used.  And nowhere else have I read that the rest of the team was there "pointing and laughing".  I'm not saying those things didn't happen, but if they did, that's the first I've heard of it.

Plus, he's a massive bammer homer.  I just don't like the guy.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:31:20 EST »

Anyone who didn't fight to stop it is guilty. Also, pool cue rape is pretty far along the hazing continuum. It's logical to believe many other reprehensible acts occurred prior to this.

I believe in due process, so I'm not for firing anyone yet. But I believe change rarely comes without immense pressure. Those in the media should keep a bright light on this.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 07:35:10 EST »

In no way am I trying to diminish what happened, but when Exum was still at the old NFP, he had a reputation of making an extraordinary situation sound even MORE extraordinary.  He would exaggerate and sometimes even make up some small details.  For instance, nowhere else have a read that the pool cue was broken, and the jagged end used.  And nowhere else have I read that the rest of the team was there "pointing and laughing".  I'm not saying those things didn't happen, but if they did, that's the first I've heard of it.

I started to include a line about not shooting the messenger ..................................................   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:18:58 EST »

I don't remember where, but somewhere I read in a news story that the tip of the pool cue was broken off IN the kid.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 09:52:01 EST »

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how anyone could ever (under any circumstances) think that doing this to another person was ok.

Kids have always bullied each other, and I will not propose that its worse now than it used to be - because I have no way to know that - but this is just beyond belief that it happens.

If reports are true that adults on the scene were informed previous to this incident that bullying and hazing were taking place...... well, I'll refrain from judging - at least on a public forum.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:03 EST »

I don't remember where, but somewhere I read in a news story that the tip of the pool cue was broken off IN the kid.

Yep.  I think I read that in the Sevierville paper, too. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:29 EST »

More this morning from Roy Exum.

And try hard not to shoot the messenger.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/1/4/315348/Roy-Exum-Ooltewahs-Dark-Side.aspx

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:04 EST »

If everything Roy says is true, not only does there need to be a house-cleaning (the AD and any other administrator with knowledge of these "hazing" incidents needs to go) but I'd say the entire athletics program should be shut down for a year or two. I'm not generally a fan of punishing kids for the behavior of other kids (or adults), but let's face it -- if these same things were alleged at the college level, we'd be discussing a serious case of LOIC.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 12:10:30 EST »

It was just announced at the School Board meeting that the remainder of the OHS basketball season has been cancelled.  IMO this action comes a couple weeks late, but it's the correct one.  I also think the alleged attackers should be tried as adults, the coach should be fired (even if he wasn't aware of what was going on, he should have been), and the AD should lose that title, at least.  As more facts come out, I may advocate his outright firing, and maybe that of the principal, too.  

But Roy Exum is still an elitist, grandstanding #badword#.  He's basically written the same article every day this week, which is basically just him patting himself on the back.  If you grew up here in the 70's and 80's, you know that Roy just loves him some him.  I'm just surprised he hasn't tried to work in a "this is how my good friend Bear Bryant would've handled this situation" reference.  Oh, and if this had happened at his beloved McCallie or Baylor, you can be sure that he wouldn't be referring to the entire team as "thugs" as he has done repeatedly here.  In fact, he'd be urging patience, and letting the legal process play out.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:15:37 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: