VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 12:08:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was anyone else exhausted after that 15 pt win? I stayed on  (Read 3877 times)
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:08:10 EDT »

edge most of the game....we never really took command and should have but we just couldn't finish so many drives. The biggest issue I had after this game is play calling.....it's apparent our run game is anemic, why call runs 1st down almost exclusively and many times 1st and 2nd down putting an offense that is not dominant in 3rd and long so often? I really hope they were just trying to get real game work for the OL and RBs while we had a lead, but that was dangerous IMO if that's what they were doing as ASU was firing all of their guns. We have to keep Ds guessing more, especially from here on out as we enter the teams that should beat us and it will take doing everything right to have a chance.         
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:46:51 EDT »

No, I really felt we had the game.  I was frustrated with the offense but the defense really wasn't playing that bad.  They had a single bad series each half but otherwise they made the red wolves earn whatever they got.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 03:13:05 EDT »

I'm officially concerned about the OL now, as this was a team we should have pushed around and put up 250 rushing yards on. I've been concerned from the beginning but I thought it was too early to panic after Utah State. Well, now I think things are really and truly ugly.

At least these guys are still newbies in terms of playing meaningful snaps, so I'd expect some growth in the coming weeks. I'm especially looking forward to how they can improve after the bye week, though I think this week's gonna be ugly.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:16:03 EDT »

I'm of the mindset that what we saw Saturday is what we will see pretty much all year.  This is a young team, and one just doesn't know how young teams will react any more than the guys on the field do.  I see this season being a bit of a roller coaster.  

I still stand by my feelings that this is likely a 6-6 team, if we make and take advantage of a few breaks, a 5-7 team if we don't.  I sill believe that as talented, but young, teams do that we'll likely beat somebody we probably shouldn't, but we may lose to somebody that we shouldn't lose to, as well.  That's just the nature of teams that are playing as many true/RS freshmen and sophomores as we are.  

That said, I definitely see things being on a positive track, unlike when Mr. Orange pants was here.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:32:30 EDT »

I'm officially concerned about the OL now, as this was a team we should have pushed around and put up 250 rushing yards on. I've been concerned from the beginning but I thought it was too early to panic after Utah State. Well, now I think things are really and truly ugly.

At least these guys are still newbies in terms of playing meaningful snaps, so I'd expect some growth in the coming weeks. I'm especially looking forward to how they can improve after the bye week, though I think this week's gonna be ugly.
We had way too many breakdowns on the left side Saturday.  I'm talking getting flat whipped.  I was to the point of wanting to move the RT to LT and putting two true FR together on the right side.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 03:43:28 EDT »

We had way too many breakdowns on the left side Saturday.  I'm talking getting flat whipped.  I was to the point of wanting to move the RT to LT and putting two true FR together on the right side.

agree, left side is bad, both in pass protection and run blocking. Just not up to SEC standard IMO.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 04:05:31 EDT »

OL has been poorly recruited. We knew it. Sucks. That is what will keep us from having that breakout year. fizzleing Orange Pants Dooley. He will be canned again after this year
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:07:53 EDT »

Who knows maybe the young D can make a couple plays Saturday.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 05:58:14 EDT »

.....it's apparent our run game is anemic, why call runs 1st down almost exclusively and many times 1st and 2nd down putting an offense that is not dominant in 3rd and long so often? I really hope they were just trying to get real game work for the OL and RBs while we had a lead,

When are we going to work on run game again, if not this game?  So yes, that's why IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 06:03:48 EDT »

No, I really felt we had the game.  I was frustrated with the offense but the defense really wasn't playing that bad.  They had a single bad series each half but otherwise they made the red wolves earn whatever they got.

I never felt that they would win, but was never completely comfortable.   It should perhaps have been an  easier win, but at the end of the day was about what I expected from this team.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 06:10:44 EDT »

And for all of you commenting on the OL, what did you expect?  We just lost 5 OL who led us to our best run game production since 1998 (188 yards per game).

I fully expected them to struggle and I expect them to continue to struggle.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:53:12 EDT »

I'm of the mindset that what we saw Saturday is what we will see pretty much all year.  This is a young team, and one just doesn't know how young teams will react any more than the guys on the field do.  I see this season being a bit of a roller coaster.  

I still stand by my feelings that this is likely a 6-6 team, if we make and take advantage of a few breaks, a 5-7 team if we don't.  I sill believe that as talented, but young, teams do that we'll likely beat somebody we probably shouldn't, but we may lose to somebody that we shouldn't lose to, as well.  That's just the nature of teams that are playing as many true/RS freshmen and sophomores as we are.  

That said, I definitely see things being on a positive track, unlike when Mr. Orange pants was here.  

This is scary HTK...once again I agree with you. Definitely on a positive track.  The level of energy and mental sharpness of this team, even with all the mistakes, is light years ahead of any Dooley team IMO.   It's a subjective and hard to pin down thing, but the spirit of the team is just different.  Better days ahead....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: