VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 02:47:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody need a dose of reality for 2014?  (Read 3385 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2014, 04:32:06 EDT »

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84047/sec-position-rankings-running-backs-6

13. Tennessee: Senior Marlin Lane has a ton of experience and will relied on even more with Rajion Neal gone, but inconsistency has always been something that has hurt Lane. He’s yet to hit 700 yards in a season, but he’s shown flashes his entire career. Freshman Jalen Hurd, who has great size and athleticism, is being viewed as the real deal in Knoxville and will have very opportunity to grab a good amount of carries this fall after enrolling early. Him taking the starting job wouldn't surprise anyone.

Thirteen!-- though based on the explanations I'm not sure why he has us below Kentucky and Mississippi State-- they don't have guys with proven track records either, nor someone like Hurd coming in.

New line, running backs in the bottom 1/3 of the SEC . . . the ground game may be tough to come by in the early going.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 04:54:41 EDT »

Personally, I would list UT 11th, with the potential to be ahead of Ole Miss...but, aside from that, I would say that's a fair assessment.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:39:57 EDT »

Just noticed this other dose over here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/84019/sec-position-rankings-quarterbacks-6

9. Tennessee: The Vols have three quarterbacks returning who have started games for them, but there’s still some uncertainty surrounding the position after redshirt freshman Riley Ferguson decided to leave the program following the spring. Senior Justin Worley was solid before an injury ended his season a year ago, and Josh Dobbs was then forced into action as a true freshman. With better playmakers around him, Worley could end up being one of the surprises of the league.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 07:00:10 EDT »

Admittedly, I've pretty much erased most of the bad memories from last year.  I haven't taken the orange colored glasses out just yet, but I've made a mental note of where I stored them last season.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:06:07 EDT »

Admittedly, I've pretty much erased most of the bad memories from last year.  I haven't taken the orange colored glasses out just yet, but I've made a mental note of where I stored them last season.

Sounds a bit like me. I think I've got a pretty realistic outlook on this season (5-6 wins), but I can't shake the glimmer of hope that we will see significant improvement at enough positions to offset the losses on OL and DL and be highly competitive in nearly every game. I don't expect that but I also don't think it's unreasonable to think it could happen.

Of course, "highly competitive in nearly every game" still probably doesn't translate to more than 7 wins . . . so I guess this is all relative.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:20:29 EDT »

Honestly that's probably a low pick, but Butch can't have us go 13th, he has to show that he's making improvements. It will not be easy, but he will be expected to take us to a minor bowl this year, and if he goes 4-8 or 5-7, some people will question him. He is recruiting well, and on par with the best team in the SEC. Yeah we will be young, but we will have to get them out there and maximize their talents.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 08:49:30 EDT »

I don't get all the love MSU is getting. They were barely average last year. I don't see them rising to the top of the SEC West gauntlett.

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:50 EDT »

The passing game should be much better, regardless of QB. The running game should be better - unless last year's line issues stemmed from poor coaching.

The defense will be horribly out of position due to inexperience, but not as slow.

I'm not expecting much in the way of wins, but there should be improvement as the season progresses.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: