VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 11:33:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As VTTW's official Master of the Obvious, I'm obligated to say this....  (Read 4402 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:23:26 EST »

If our passing game was only marginally better, we would be a very good team. As everyone would agree, I'm not an expert analyst and I don't know if it's the offensive line, the receivers or the quarterback or any combination thereof. All my addled mind knows is that if they don't respect the passing game, the running game won't be as productive.

And that's the obvious observation from The Master of the Obvious. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 03:28:55 EST »

If our passing game was only marginally better, we would be a very good team. As everyone would agree, I'm not an expert analyst and I don't know if it's the offensive line, the receivers or the quarterback or any combination thereof. All my addled mind knows is that if they don't respect the passing game, the running game won't be as productive.

And that's the obvious observation from The Master of the Obvious. 
Our offense the last two weeks in the last three quarters has been the Master of the Oblivion 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:42:51 EST »

We have one of the worse passing games since the forward pass was invented. I've watched football since 11am and I'm still watching it......We aren't even close to 98%of the teams I've watched.

JMO...but I don't see it getting any better or much with Dobbs.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 05:44:32 EST »

We have one of the worse passing games since the forward pass was invented. I've watched football since 11am and I'm still watching it......We aren't even close to 98%of the teams I've watched.

JMO...but I don't see it getting any better or much with Dobbs.
He would make a good single wing tailback

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:46:58 EST »

As would have Steve Spurrier, but that's another discussion for another day.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:59:07 EST »

I played in the single wing offense.......Dobbs would have been perfect for it.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 07:37:11 EST »

And right now Dobbs can't throw it in the ocean from the beach.  If not for some circus catches by his WRs and dropped should be sure INTs by the opposition, his numbers would really be sucking out loud right now.  

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the QB slot going in to the summer.  Dobbs, Dormandy, Guanto, and Jones could each potentially and legitimately be the starter come 9-3-16 against Appy State.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 12:10:10 EST »

I got some post game comments by David Legon (sp?) on the radio.  He said part of the problem was Dobbs is inaccurate, part is the receivers running bad routes, and a big part was lack of timing.  He also said that when he played (at Ut and I guess elsewhere) the QB and WRs would often work at routes.  He said it wasn't just a matter of "throwing the ball around" but actually working hard at getting the timing down (outside of regular practice).

Which to me is the core issue.  I think if the timing were down a bit better both routes and accuracy would improve, definitely.  Would they both improve enough?  I don't know, but IMO timing practice is a  key element.  Hopefully Dobbs and co. can work this in the offseason.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 12:25:54 EST »

I got some post game comments by David Legon (sp?) on the radio.  He said part of the problem was Dobbs is inaccurate, part is the receivers running bad routes, and a big part was lack of timing.  He also said that when he played (at Ut and I guess elsewhere) the QB and WRs would often work at routes.  He said it wasn't just a matter of "throwing the ball around" but actually working hard at getting the timing down (outside of regular practice).

Which to me is the core issue.  I think if the timing were down a bit better both routes and accuracy would improve, definitely.  Would they both improve enough?  I don't know, but IMO timing practice is a  key element.  Hopefully Dobbs and co. can work this in the offseason.
If you believe the reports they worked on timing and routes extra all during the last off season
I have seen receivers run crisp routes and the ball being misplaced a LOT.  Dobbs tends to throw high a LOT
Smith, Malone and Johnson have been running nice routes (though Malone can be a bit inconsistent at times).  Williams and Jennings, yeah their routes can be, umm, interesting.  Von seems to have moved from the latter to the former group the last few games.

Never under estimate the impact of the loss of Pig to Dobbs.  Pig was his security blanket last year.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 12:41:04 EST »

If you believe the reports they worked on timing and routes extra all during the last off season
I have seen receivers run crisp routes and the ball being misplaced a LOT.  Dobbs tends to throw high a LOT
Smith, Malone and Johnson have been running nice routes (though Malone can be a bit inconsistent at times).  Williams and Jennings, yeah their routes can be, umm, interesting.  Von seems to have moved from the latter to the former group the last few games.

Never under estimate the impact of the loss of Pig to Dobbs.  Pig was his security blanket last year.

Maybe a lot of the offseason work was with Pig and North?

Anyway, I'm not ready to give up the ghost on the passing attack just yet.  I have seen this improve dramatically from one season to the next, and what Legon (sp?) said seemed to make sense.  Note that he didn't entirely give Dobbs a pass (bad pun intended  ), but I am hopeful that accuracy also improves with practice.  It just inherently seems that it would.

At any rate, it may be an indictment of the SEC at the moment, but Dobbs is still one of the best ... what?  Three QBs?   Clearly Prescott is better, but there are few that other SEC QBs I would trade Dobbs for at the moment.  Maybe the kid at Tamu.

I would say Grier, but only with the PEDs.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 01:18:29 EST »

At any rate, it may be an indictment of the SEC at the moment, but Dobbs is still one of the best ... what?  Three QBs?   Clearly Prescott is better, but there are few that other SEC QBs I would trade Dobbs for at the moment.  Maybe the kid at Tamu.

Yep.  Quarterback play across the board in the SEC right now is about as bad as I ever remember.  I'm not even sure that Prescott is legit. Spread offenses have ruined QB play.  Gone are the days of a strong armed guy back there who is there to read defenses and get his team in the correct play.  Now it's about putting an "athlete" back there, making sure he can get the team to the line in 16 seconds after the previous play ends, and giving him an opportunity to make one read and then go.

Offensive football has evolved, and I am not so sure it has evolved for the better.       

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 04:47:30 EST »

Yep.  Quarterback play across the board in the SEC right now is about as bad as I ever remember.  I'm not even sure that Prescott is legit. Spread offenses have ruined QB play.  Gone are the days of a strong armed guy back there who is there to read defenses and get his team in the correct play.  Now it's about putting an "athlete" back there, making sure he can get the team to the line in 16 seconds after the previous play ends, and giving him an opportunity to make one read and then go.

Offensive football has evolved, and I am not so sure it has evolved for the better.       

It's why I call it X-Box football.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: