VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 12:55:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bowl game? Joy  (Read 2030 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2020, 10:32:44 EST »

I've seen us in the Music City vs Iowa and seen us in the Liberty vs West Virginia.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 11:04:20 EST »

I've seen us in the Music City vs Iowa and seen us in the Liberty vs West Virginia.

Yeah, that seems to be the skinny.  I imagine we will end up in the Music City.  Maybe we will have a new coach by then - even an interim guy might be better, but I guess that would be Chaney.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 11:06:34 EST »

I just saw it will be Mizzou & Iowa in the Music City.  Maybe the Liberty????  When is the last time we played in the Little Sombrero Bowl game?

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 11:10:22 EST »

Looks like it's been confirmed now....UT vs West Va in the Liberty.

Last Liberty Bowl I went to was us vs Minn.

Also looks like every SEC team except Vandy is in a bowl.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 11:12:38 EST »

We'll see if that sticks. Seeing a lot of speculation that quite a few bowls will be cancelled in the next few days once sponsorship deals are pulled and player opt outs are evaluated.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 11:25:01 EST »

Looks like it's been confirmed now....UT vs West Va in the Liberty.

Last Liberty Bowl I went to was us vs Minn.

Also looks like every SEC team except Vandy is in a bowl.

Yep, that was our last Liberty Bowl and I was in the stands as well.  IIRC, Granny Holtz coached the Gophers?  When I was 5, I almost went to the 71 Liberty Bowl vs the Hogs.  It was so cold for that game my parents decided not to bring me, which was probably a good move.  The first VOL game I ever saw was the next season at Memphis State.  We went to the Liberty bowl again a couple of years later, but we did not go to that game, for some reason, despite the fact that we lived in Memphis at the time. 

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 11:26:54 EST »

We'll see if that sticks. Seeing a lot of speculation that quite a few bowls will be cancelled in the next few days once sponsorship deals are pulled and player opt outs are evaluated.

I heard a Bowl game in PHX got canceled that involved the Big 10/Big 12 - I think.  If TN is in, I think the Liberty Bowl will go on, but who knows.  It will be good for the team, and I would not mind watching Bailey play some more this year.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 11:46:39 EST »

Wouldn't it be funny if Pruitt's first and last games at UT were both against WVU?

tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 12:36:30 EST »

This can't be real.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 01:04:37 EST »

Yep, that was our last Liberty Bowl and I was in the stands as well.  IIRC, Granny Holtz coached the Gophers?  When I was 5, I almost went to the 71 Liberty Bowl vs the Hogs.  It was so cold for that game my parents decided not to bring me, which was probably a good move.  The first VOL game I ever saw was the next season at Memphis State.  We went to the Liberty bowl again a couple of years later, but we did not go to that game, for some reason, despite the fact that we lived in Memphis at the time. 

I was there in 71....IMO it wasn't as cold as the Minn game. The coldest I've ever been was the Bama vs UCLA game there at the Liberty...think it was 77? It was 23 at kickoff and by the 3rd quarter it was around 9. My wife's brother had served in the Air Force in Alaska and he had some cold weather gear that the wife and me wore and saved us from freezing to death.....UCLA players went down like flies...they had never been in that cold of weather in their lives.

I went to the Liberty Bowl for years no matter who played up till the early 90's....Also went to see us play Ole Miss and Miss State there several times. I had my photo taken in the Liberty Bowl in 1964 before it ever opened and construction was still going on. I was in the Memphis Cotton Carnival they had back in the day and they had us take a group photo in there in the stands they had already completed. The other side from us was only about 40% completed.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 01:28:29 EST »

Wouldn't it be funny if Pruitt's first and last games at UT were both against WVU?
yed, and something tells me the results in this meeting will be much of the same as the first one.

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 02:30:31 EST »

I'm sure it was a SEC rule that if invited to a Bowl you go or you don't get a bowl split of money.

What pisses me off is a 9-2 Army isn't going to a bowl....They were invited and accepted to the Independence Bowl but that bowl was cancelled today due to the Pac 12 not having a team to send due to opt outs. Not right for 2-8....3-7 teams get to go bowling and a 9-2 Army who won the CIC trophy stays home. Maybe if a team has to opt out of their game Army can get in.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 02:34:37 EST »

I'm sure it was a SEC rule that if invited to a Bowl you go or you don't get a bowl split of money.

What pisses me off is a 9-2 Army isn't going to a bowl....They were invited and accepted to the Independence Bowl but that bowl was cancelled today due to the Pac 12 not having a team to send due to opt outs. Not right for 2-8....3-7 teams get to go bowling and a 9-2 Army who won the CIC trophy stays home. Maybe if a team has to opt out of their game Army can get in.
Phil, going to miss a possible opportunity to possibly meet for an adult beverage
Because why would I drive 7 hours each way to sit in that dump of a stadium to watch the dumpster fire known as Tennessee football - thank you NO!

If that makes me a "bad" fan, so be it!
I realize the only way we can effect change is through economics

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 03:26:24 EST »

Phil, going to miss a possible opportunity to possibly meet for an adult beverage
Because why would I drive 7 hours each way to sit in that dump of a stadium to watch the dumpster fire known as Tennessee football - thank you NO!

If that makes me a "bad" fan, so be it!
I realize the only way we can effect change is through economics

Agree, Pirate. If you/we continue to pay good money for a bad product they keep giving you a bad product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: