VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 06:00:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have seen enough now. Our OC is not gonna make it.  (Read 11592 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:58:58 EST »

I do not understand how you design a pass play that has Tiny crash down and pull the TE across the formation to pick up the rush end? 
I would think maybe Tiny messed up but I have seen it before this year. That is just an awful design IMHO.

We see why Worley has been playing though. Our offense is just horrid. It really looks like they are putting in their system regardless of what the talent available does best.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 02:05:31 EST »

Our OC is not the problem in this game.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:06:53 EST »

I do not understand how you design a pass play that has Tiny crash down and pull the TE across the formation to pick up the rush end? 
I would think maybe Tiny messed up but I have seen it before this year. That is just an awful design IMHO.

We see why Worley has been playing though. Our offense is just horrid. It really looks like they are putting in their system regardless of what the talent available does best.
downs used his clown. Locking scheme on the play
BTW Bansil was open

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:36:04 EST »

I dont understand some folks obsession with blaming this coaching staff for our lack of talent and their inability to play well against better teams.  This is the first season under this scheme....maybe we should give them some leeway and realize that they know how to coach....i am certainly not qualified to dissect a play and blame the OC and insinuate that he doesnt know what he is doing....and i doubt anyone here is qualified to do so. The way some folks are criticizing him makes me think he must have come over to their house , drank their beer, and kicked their dog. Good lord!!!...give the Guy a  chance.....jmho.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:06:09 EST »

I don't drink, or have a dog. He could have stopped by but I doubt it. However if he/they wanted to stop by for a glass of tea or a meal they would be welcome.

I dont understand some folks obsession with blaming this coaching staff for our lack of talent and their inability to play well against better teams.  This is the first season under this scheme....maybe we should give them some leeway and realize that they know how to coach....i am certainly not qualified to dissect a play and blame the OC and insinuate that he doesnt know what he is doing....and i doubt anyone here is qualified to do so. The way some folks are criticizing him makes me think he must have come over to their house , drank their beer, and kicked their dog. Good lord!!!...give the Guy a  chance.....jmho.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 05:30:04 EST »

I agree.  When Dobbs was named the starter I actually had someone ask me if I thought than the Vols could run the table and go 8-4.  He was convinced they could.  I flat out said no.  I said the odds would be better that they would go 1-3 than even 3-1, and I was hoping for 2-2 but obviously would take anything better.  Dobbs may be better then Worley, and is certainly more athletic, but he's a freshman and Worley was not the biggest issue with this team.  The lack of talent and depth is IMO.  I think Jones and company will do well as a staff, but it's going to take time.  Most here said before the season that they'd take 6-6 and a bowl game this season and be happy about it.  That is still possible.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:12:54 EST »

I agree.  When Dobbs was named the starter I actually had someone ask me if I thought than the Vols could run the table and go 8-4.  He was convinced they could.  I flat out said no.  I said the odds would be better that they would go 1-3 than even 3-1, and I was hoping for 2-2 but obviously would take anything better.  Dobbs may be better then Worley, and is certainly more athletic, but he's a freshman and Worley was not the biggest issue with this team.  The lack of talent and depth is IMO.  I think Jones and company will do well as a staff, but it's going to take time.  Most here said before the season that they'd take 6-6 and a bowl game this season and be happy about it.  That is still possible.

Pretty much my view,  but I am more optimistic about the 2-2.  From the beginning, I just have thought Butch Jones - whatever his other pros and cons - can handle the likes of Franklin.

We shall see.

In the meantime, I am not giving up on the Auburn game though it will be tough for the Vols to win.

Look at it this way...if Butch Jones does go 6-6, and I have thought all along he would, and goes to the bowl game, Dobbs has that much more time to get his timing with the WRs down.  We win big at the bowl game, and this is our best season since 2007.   We would have an identical record to 2009 but finish on a much better note and do so with less talent.

That 7-6 still suck speaks volumes of how low the program has sunk after the Kiffin/Dooley fiasco, but the only good thing about that is, it doesn't take much to do better.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 07:01:48 EST »

This is undeniable.  I hate to summon the presence of Rick Pitino to the board, but Peyton Manning is not walking through that door, Jamal Lewis is not walking through that door.  Al, Raynoch, and Emo are not walking through that door.  Neither are any of our plethora of great receivers, Chad Clifton/Cosey Coleman/Spencer Riley like linemen, or Reggie White/Leonard Little type DL, nor are Eric Berry or Dale Carter.  

Bottom line is we have what we have.  And we will until Butch has time to recruit and coach.  Any time a team has speed & quickness(which Missouri did--not Oregon speed, but speed nonetheless--we will likely lose--we cannot match speed & quickness with our OL or with our entire defensive lineup (with possible one or two exceptions).  

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just setting themselves up for disappointment.  I agree that 6-6 is our best hope, and I would be thrilled with 6-6 given this talent level.

The lack of talent and depth is IMO.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:34:36 EST by LouisVOL » Logged

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:37:31 EST »

This is undeniable.  I hate to summon the presence of Rick Pitino to the board, but Peyton Manning is not walking through that door, Jamal Lewis is not walking through that door.  Al, Raynoch, and Emo are not walking through that door.  Neither are any of our plethora of great receivers, Chad Clifton/Cosey Coleman/Spencer Riley like linemen, or Reggie White/Leonard Little type DL, nor are Eric Berry or Dale Carter.  

Bottom line is we have what we have.  And we will until Butch has time to recruit and coach.  Any time a team has speed & quickness(which Missouri did--not Oregon State speed, but speed nonetheless--we will likely lose--we cannot match speed & quickness with our OL or with our entire defensive lineup (with possible one or two exceptions).  

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just setting themselves up for disappointment.  I agree that 6-6 is our best hope, and I would be thrilled with 6-6 given this talent level.

Recall that after the Oregon debacle, several here were questioning if we would even win another game.

I know it's hard to see the forest for the trees right now, but consider that even in the worst case scenario (which I believe to be 5-7), we will have done that with our least talented roster in at least 30 years, against one of the toughest schedules in NCAA history.  Last year, we also went 5-7, but with several NFL draft picks on the roster, against a schedule that was about as easy as it gets for any SEC team not named Georgia.

So even if we go 5-7, it will still be an improvement over last season.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:28:23 EST »

So even if we go 5-7, it will still be an improvement over last season.

Marginal improvement, and only because we beat USC this year.  But it won't come to that, we will beat Vandy.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 04:24:03 EST »

is an overreaction.  First of all the offense moved the ball even with a Freshman (remember this young man was in HIGH SCHOOL last year) and was successful in moving the ball to a degree.  There were several dropped passes as well as some mistakes in the OLine, but overall this offense is not why UT lost this game.  UT had an inexorable time in stopping MO on Saturday night.  At times the D has broken down and not made the plays it needed to make.  (A) Is this the problem of people being banged up?  (B) Is this just an issue with speed of the defenders?  (C) Is this a combination of many factors?  I choose C as the answer.  First of all there are some injury issues (bangs and bumps)and there are some issues with players being out of position to make a play as well as being not as speedy as MO was overall.  Also there are some depth concerns.  Is it consistent enough to win in the SEC?  No it is not, but help is on the way.  Several of the recruits in the 2014 class have SEC speed.  Will this help?  Absolutely.  Should we be excoriating the Offense for this loss.  HELL NO.  Your initial observastion concerning the OC and his "ability" to make it in the SEC is absolutely off base and without merit.  Bajakian has been successful at all levels he has coached.  Time to take a deep beath and take a step back and realize that this is a growing process and MIGHTY OAKS DON'T GROW OVERNIGHT!!!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 05:32:39 EST »

No, my observation about the OC is not without merit because it is an opinion. If I were getting to make a decision about whether he stayed or went I would need more evidence. As a fan I do not.  I will be more than glad to be wrong. Wouldn't be the 1st time and I hope not the last.

Heck, I even defended kiffin.   

is an overreaction.  First of all the offense moved the ball even with a Freshman (remember this young man was in HIGH SCHOOL last year) and was successful in moving the ball to a degree.  There were several dropped passes as well as some mistakes in the OLine, but overall this offense is not why UT lost this game.  UT had an inexorable time in stopping MO on Saturday night.  At times the D has broken down and not made the plays it needed to make.  (A) Is this the problem of people being banged up?  (B) Is this just an issue with speed of the defenders?  (C) Is this a combination of many factors?  I choose C as the answer.  First of all there are some injury issues (bangs and bumps)and there are some issues with players being out of position to make a play as well as being not as speedy as MO was overall.  Also there are some depth concerns.  Is it consistent enough to win in the SEC?  No it is not, but help is on the way.  Several of the recruits in the 2014 class have SEC speed.  Will this help?  Absolutely.  Should we be excoriating the Offense for this loss.  HELL NO.  Your initial observastion concerning the OC and his "ability" to make it in the SEC is absolutely off base and without merit.  Bajakian has been successful at all levels he has coached.  Time to take a deep beath and take a step back and realize that this is a growing process and MIGHTY OAKS DON'T GROW OVERNIGHT!!!!!!

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 06:52:03 EST »

No, my observation about the OC is not without merit because it is an opinion. If I were getting to make a decision about whether he stayed or went I would need more evidence. As a fan I do not.  I will be more than glad to be wrong. Wouldn't be the 1st time and I hope not the last.

Heck, I even defended kiffin.   

You have been stating this opinion since the Oregon game when Worley was the QB.  It should be obvious that this team is not a consistent winning football team at this moment and is young and inexperienced.  Calling for a coach's head after what we have seen is ludicrous in the extreme (and that is my opinion backed up with facts having much experience in managing and directing people during my lifetime.) 

Do you actually analyze your statements?  First of all this coaching staff (that has been coaching together since Central Michigan) was 4-8 the first year at Cincinnati.  The next year with basically the same cast of players was champions of the Big East at 10-2 record.  An improvement of six (6) games over the previous year.  I trust these coaches more than  the set of bumble fingered coaches under Fooley.    Frankly Bajakian is twice the coach as Fooley's OC that would pass when he should run!!!!

EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:14 EST »

You have been stating this opinion since the Oregon game when Worley was the QB.  It should be obvious that this team is not a consistent winning football team at this moment and is young and inexperienced.  Calling for a coach's head after what we have seen is ludicrous in the extreme (and that is my opinion backed up with facts having much experience in managing and directing people during my lifetime.) 

Do you actually analyze your statements?  First of all this coaching staff (that has been coaching together since Central Michigan) was 4-8 the first year at Cincinnati.  The next year with basically the same cast of players was champions of the Big East at 10-2 record.  An improvement of six (6) games over the previous year.  I trust these coaches more than  the set of bumble fingered coaches under Fooley.    Frankly Bajakian is twice the coach as Fooley's OC that would pass when he should run!!!!

It also ignores the changes in the game pla to account for the skills of the various players, most noticeable the QB recently.  I have also noted that the route trees the receivers are running ar much more complex now than earlier in the year. Now sometimes the players do not execute properly but I have seen season and in game improvement in said execution.  An example?  Glad you asked.  Look at a two play sequence in the 3rd quarter that MO blitzes both plays.  On the first one North options out to the flat.  On the 2nd, whether by design or option North goes inside to the area vacated by the blitzer.  Very well executed, for a first down.

BTW, if I were to question one of the coordinaters it would be the DC.  Some of the schemes have appeared a bit wierd to me.  Just Saturday night we repeated the exercise (which we did a lot at Oregon and Florida) of walking a safety up to the LOS, on the weak side.  Saturday night the play then goes away from the safety and we have one less defender back - burned us.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 08:56:10 EST »

Why did you bring dools staff into this? I never mentioned them. Think that is called a strawman isn't it? Of course these guys are better than dools guys. What competent person would work for him or at least work for long? They are recruiting their tails off and talent will always fix a lot of problems.............for everyone.

It really doesn't matter who agrees or disagrees. I don't like the offense, I don't like some of the things I have seen, so I voiced an opinion. A strong opinion, maybe too strong, but it is mine to make as I see it.

If you can show me what I said about the Oregon game it would help refresh my memory because truthfully I don't recall saying anything. I have made a comment about the OC before, or the scheme, or whatever but don't think I did it then. Even if I did so what? Does it really matter?

Believe I qualified my statements (somewhere along the line) by saying I knew the staff would have growing pains as all coaches new to the SEC have. Saturday was the 1st day I said he would not last as OC. That is not me saying he will be or should be fired. That is me saying I don't think he is going to make it.  Of course that is not up to me. Think all I said before was I was starting to question the scheme, but not at Oregon, did I?

Be sure y'all aren't reading more into things than what is actually there. It is most certain I allowed my frustration to come out more during the game than I would today. Still I have the same opinion.....I am not sold on the offense or the design of "certain" plays.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:25:29 EST »

I am not sold on the offense....

That you have made very clear.      This offensive style may or may not work in the long run, but judging that on this season is premature IMO.  Until this staff gets their payers, specifically chosen to fit this offense, they have a lot of leeway from me.  I have disagreed with many coaching decisions made this season, but probably no more than with any other staff we've had.  Heck, I questioned coaching decisions in almost every game that Coach Majors coached.    If I questioned Majors, Fulmer, Cutcliffe, Chavis, et al., there is certainly no reason you, or anyone else, can't question Coach Jones and the current staff.  I just think they deserve a year or two to prove themselves before we start calling for their jobs.  Until then I'll live with the frustration of the Vols trying to do more with less. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:51:56 EST »

I appreciate your comments.

That you have made very clear.      This offensive style may or may not work in the long run, but judging that on this season is premature IMO.  Until this staff gets their payers, specifically chosen to fit this offense, they have a lot of leeway from me.  I have disagreed with many coaching decisions made this season, but probably no more than with any other staff we've had.  Heck, I questioned coaching decisions in almost every game that Coach Majors coached.    If I questioned Majors, Fulmer, Cutcliffe, Chavis, et al., there is certainly no reason you, or anyone else, can't question Coach Jones and the current staff.  I just think they deserve a year or two to prove themselves before we start calling for their jobs.  Until then I'll live with the frustration of the Vols trying to do more with less. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 10:06:40 EST »

Do I have concerns? You bet. Does that mean these guys won't work long term? Nope. I was no fan of Chavis in '95.

I'm still on my three year wait and see plan, as I am with all coaches. A win doesn't mean we have geniuses, and a loss doesn't mean they're buffoons. With most people the truth is somewhere in the middle, and coaches are no different.

Am I puzzled we haven't done some things I perceive to offset our dearth of talent? Yes. I think milking the play clock, going to more of a power running game, and getting the young QBs PT early in the season would have been advantageous. I also questioned the wisdom of letting Chenay and Pittman walk. However, the proof will be in the pudding.

Hopefully the positives will outweigh the negatives. There will always be both.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 10:38:42 EST »

Do I have concerns? You bet. Does that mean these guys won't work long term? Nope. I was no fan of Chavis in '95.

I'm still on my three year wait and see plan, as I am with all coaches. A win doesn't mean we have geniuses, and a loss doesn't mean they're buffoons. With most people the truth is somewhere in the middle, and coaches are no different.

Am I puzzled we haven't done some things I perceive to offset our dearth of talent? Yes. I think milking the play clock, going to more of a power running game, and getting the young QBs PT early in the season would have been advantageous. I also questioned the wisdom of letting Chenay and Pittman walk. However, the proof will be in the pudding.

Hopefully the positives will outweigh the negatives. There will always be both.

It does not take three years to determine if a coaching staff has it in them to be successful. Didn't take long to see Sunseri was worthless last year. Ellis Johnson and his staff didn't need long to prove their ineptitude. Everyone will know what this staff has long before three years has elapsed.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 02:05:54 EST »

I really like a heavy stout PRO-style offense, wish that was what we were still running as a majority of our offense.
As long as we win, I can live with what we run now..........
I have had my concerns at times with both of the coordinators, but am willing to give them a bit more time. 

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:07:34 EST by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:15 EST »

I think the coaching staff could have tried taking the load off Dobbs and tried establishing a running game early on and had him throwing way too much..They came out with him throwing all over the place,way over the receivers heads..That being said I think the whole team failed Dobbs last Saturday night..From the dropped passes,a couple of sure TD passes that were dropped by the receivers as well.
The O-line's false starts and holds putting in long down and distances and poor blocking.
The worst was the no show of the defense..The secondary play was the worst I have seen UT in over 20 yrs..
Now the good news..The kid is very smart,athletic and has a cannon for an arm..I think we will see a whole different team this week at home playing Auburn..
Keep it simple..Pound the rock,let Dobbs take off and run when he sees an opening and play action pass and hope we can stop AU's running game..I see a close game with UT having a chance to win..But the whole team has to show up to play and support the kid and the fans too..Go Vols! 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 03:41:11 EST »

I think the coaching staff could have tried taking the load off Dobbs and tried establishing a running game early on and had him throwing way too much..They came out with him throwing all over the place,way over the receivers heads..That being said I think the whole team failed Dobbs last Saturday night..From the dropped passes,a couple of sure TD passes that were dropped by the receivers as well.
The O-line's false starts and holds putting in long down and distances and poor blocking.
The worst was the no show of the defense..The secondary play was the worst I have seen UT in over 20 yrs..
Now the good news..The kid is very smart,athletic and has a cannon for an arm..I think we will see a whole different team this week at home playing Auburn..
Keep it simple..Pound the rock,let Dobbs take off and run when he sees an opening and play action pass and hope we can stop AU's running game..I see a close game with UT having a chance to win..But the whole team has to show up to play and support the kid and the fans too..Go Vols! 
This just in, our OL couldn't open up a hole large enough for an ant to run through Saturday night

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 04:33:13 EST »

If you can show me what I said about the Oregon game it would help refresh my memory because truthfully I don't recall saying anything. I have made a comment about the OC before, or the scheme, or whatever but don't think I did it then. Even if I did so what? Does it really matter?

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=28633.0

EmerilVOL

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 05:44:19 EST »

I am not upset about anything. I knew that was just a figure of speech, or that is how I took it anyway.

Is there something wrong with the observation in the link?    

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:57:43 EST by Inspector Vol » Logged
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 01:59:01 EST »

This just in, our OL couldn't open up a hole large enough for an ant to run through Saturday night
I think I covered how poor the o-line was all night..The whole damn team for that matter..The part that you seem to have missed was that IMO, at least trying to attempt the run FIRST! .It wasn't doing the kid any favors starting out throwing the ball way over the receivers heads..keep it simple early in the game and let him get his feet wet was my POINT!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: