VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 10:42:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm very happy for the players  (Read 2104 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:57:04 EDT »

I know they work hard, and guys like Maymon, Stokes, McRae, and Richardson deserved a chance to play in meaningful postseason games before they go. (I know Richardson is a Jr but there's no way we dance next year).

I still have no confidence in Cuonzo but am rooting like hell for him to prove me wrong and make a run here in the NCAAT.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:49 EDT »

Similar sentiments. I cannot be against the Vols. A couple wins or more & he may well move on... I personally think they got screwed last year. So his UT resume may be good enough to attract interest.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:30:44 EDT »

I have mostly refrained from commenting on the coaching, but...

It's easy to forget that two years ago the program was in shambles.  The two best players left, the rest of the team had little or no morale, and Cuonzo had to follow arguably the most popular basketball coach...and perhaps COACH, period, in UT history.  Everyone gave him a pass, but I think the season was still disappointing.  But should it have been?  I mean, looking back, I think it went about how it should have, given the circumstances.

The following season, having built the offense around Maymon (which I thought was a bad idea, but...), there was no Maymon.  Conventional wisdom says that past a certain point, the Maymon injury was not an excuse.  That is certainly true, but at the end of the day, being without Maymon DID matter, and Stokes was still developing. Could we have done better last year?  Certainly...but we did only miss the NCAA by the narrowest margin.

I guess I would say first season, who cares, the program was in shambles and Cuonzo had to pick up the pieces.  Unbelievably, some would point to Pearl's first year and say that he exceeded expectations so Martin should have also.  That is just BEYOND ridiculous.  Pearl exceeded expectations because he was an outstanding coach following a bad coach.  Should Cuonzo follow the best coach in Tennessee history after it's two best players quit and morale is destroyed and exceed expectations?  GMAFB!

So now to this season.  Were there unexpected losses?  Yes, but also a couple wins we didn't expect also (or maybe just one?).  Could his performance for most of the season be described as mediocre?  Absolutely.   But this run at the end is nice. 

For whatever reason, Cuonzo Martin has been for the last three years a guy that is mediocre and struggles at times for much of the season, then turns it on at the end.  If that part at the end often involves deep tourney runs, then who cares?  Of course, the danger is that because of part A, the unexpected lapses and mediocrity earlier in the season, we might not MAKE the tourney.   That's an obvious downside and with the talent we are losing this year....

But I do want to say that I think fans are forgetting to factor out 2011-12, his first year.  Anyone with expectations of ANYTHING that year was on crack.    And while it's much less of a factor, Maymon was in fact out all last season, and he was our leading returning scorer if I am not mistaken.   

Is it possible that it just took Cuonzo this long to get his shizzle together? 

LOL!  I say no, he is kind of mediocre other than at the end of the season, but a deep run in this tourney (which likely would include an upset of Duke) could change my perception of that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:25:13 EDT »

Hubbs was very much supposed to be the 6th man this year. Maymon and Hubbs going down in successive years should not be completely dismissed. Rumors are Stokes may come back. Can't call the "best move" for the program. I see both sides of the coin
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:48:51 EDT »

Hubbs was very much supposed to be the 6th man this year. Maymon and Hubbs going down in successive years should not be completely dismissed. Rumors are Stokes may come back. Can't call the "best move" for the program. I see both sides of the coin

Agree.....Most 5 stars come in and help right off the bat...... not the case with Hubbs. Maymon has just played well the last few weeks and his knee really set him back this year and you could tell it.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:04:42 EDT »

Hubbs was hurt apparently, and they decided they'd go ahead and try to redshirt him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: