VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 10:36:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The WinePost©....  (Read 1947 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:01:09 EDT »

The WinePost©

Wine is the most civilized thing in the world.~ Ernest Hemingway

Niner Wine Estates Merlot, Bootjack Ranch, Paso Robles (2009)($24.00)

Last week I mentioned the problem with certain wine varietals becoming too popular. Existing wineries turn out more and new producers pop up to get in on the increased demand. The results are not only more bad wines, but a large percentage of the wines are made in the popular style: too fruity, no complexity, no balance. It has happened to several varetals, but it really happened to Merlot.

Merlot is a very approachable red wine.  It's upfront with big fruit flavors and generally is smoother and softer than Cabernet Sauvignon. It is preferred by people who find Cabernet Sauvignon too bold and powerful, and by those who are new to the appreciaton of serious wines. And so, Merlot became the rage. The shelves were full of the stuff and everyone who ordered red wine in a bar asked for Merlot.

And then the bottom fell out. There were too many bad wines. But there were other factors. Bar patrons, especially women, switched to white wines. (Which began the problems for Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio, but that's another story.) Knowledgeable wine drinkers tired of the overly fruity, unstructured,  unbalanced wines. And wine snobs refused to drink it because it was too popular, not hip and the wine for the uneducated. Merlot became unpopular because of its popularity. The movie Sideways certainly didn't help, but it was just the last nail in the coffin.

It's not that everyone stopped drinking Merlot. I didn't. I always have a couple of bottles or more in the racks or in the vault. The good ones are worth seeking. Tonight's selection is a good one. The fruit is certainly there but it's not the proverbial "fruit bomb". It's well-balanced, has good length and a nice tannic grip on the end. Merlot needs to be "re-discovered".

Wine fact: The whole concept of letting wine breathe, or aerate, is simply maximizing your wine's exposure to the surrounding air. By allowing wine to mix and mingle with air, the wine will typically warm up and the wine's aromas will open up, the flavor profile will soften and mellow out a bit and the overall flavor characteristics should improve. Most red wines and a few whites will improve with aeration. 15-30 minutes is good enough for most wines. Wines that are young with high tannin levels need an hour. Older wines benefit the most. Decanting is the most efficient way to aerate. I have not tested the aeration tools through which wine is poured.

Enjoy!

art by artzcatz

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:03:21 EDT by droner » Logged
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:56 EDT »

I love a good Merlot.....actually my preferred red, although I love Cabs too.

gallavol
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:23:56 EDT »

The best way to serve a fine red wine is to first put it in the fridge for about half and hour, then decant and let stand in room temperature for about an hour swirling occasionally. Then serve. It's the best method I have found, taught to me by a wine steward at a fine restaurant in NYC. Enjoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: