VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 03:05:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recruiting  (Read 4158 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:23 EST »

All signs point to Santos going to Texas. I can't blame the guy... he grew up a fan and they came in late with an offer. That would leave us with 3 spots open. At this point the ideal finish would be with four star Virginia DT Korren Kirven (have to fend off VPI), four star SC WR Quinshad Davis (has visited Wake, UNC, and UT), and four star JUCO WR Cordarrelle Patterson. Patterson is the number one JUCO player in America and is a real game changer... he's at Hutchison (Kansas) CC but is originally from SC where he was a high school teammate of Justin Worley.

The really challenging thing about recruiting this year is that you cannot take the chance on having extra LOIs come in. With the new SEC rule, you can only accept 25 LOIs. If you receive one extra, you lose three scholarships in the next class, even if you only enroll 25. Coaches can't send out 35 LOIs anymore so they have to know who they are getting and probably have verbal agreements with backup prospects that they can have an LOI if others fall though.

I've been outspoken in my doubt about Dooley's long term prospects at UT, but if he holds this class together after losing 6 coaches in the offseason, that's a really solid effort. Yes, I think they are losing Santos, but I think they would've kept him in spite of Sirmon and Wilcox leaving had Texas not come in late with an offer so I don't fault anybody on our staff for that. Even with losing Santos, if they close with the three I list above, that will be nothing short of remarkable as far as recruiting rankings go. Of course stars are not everything and guys have to be coached up, but there is something to be said for holding a class together in the face of such turmoil when you are losing coaches left and right and your rivals are telling prospects that Dooley is going to be fired after next year.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:39:48 EST »

Im confused didn't Santos turned down A&M Oringinally for not being an SEC team at the time? I thought he wanted to play in the SEC and that's why he picked us to start:

GO VOLS! 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:44:17 EST »

Im confused didn't Santos turned down A&M Oringinally for not being an SEC team at the time? I thought he wanted to play in the SEC and that's why he picked us to start:

GO VOLS! 

He wanted to play in the SEC, unless he could play for the University of Texas. He never had a Texas offer until last week.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:37:59 EST »

Today it is being reported by VolQuest and others that Alex Bullard counts against the 85 but not the 25. That leaves UT with 3 spots open currently... 4 if Santos switches to Texas. That means that UT could take all 3 of the guys I mentioned previously even if Santos holds solid. Bonus!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:24:07 EST »

If he's really that big a Texas fan saying he wanted to be sec might be a politeway of telling a&m to eff  off.  Just a thought.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Orange Rampage
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41:58 EST »

All I know is if I was considering Tennessee...this would do it for me:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qw4OdUaVmEA&amp;feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/qw4OdUaVmEA&amp;feature=related</a>
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:27:16 EST »

show it to me

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:30:57 EST »

The really challenging thing about recruiting this year is that you cannot take the chance on having extra LOIs come in. With the new SEC rule, you can only accept 25 LOIs. If you receive one extra, you lose three scholarships in the next class, even if you only enroll 25. Coaches can't send out 35 LOIs anymore so they have to know who they are getting and probably have verbal agreements with backup prospects that they can have an LOI if others fall though.

Interesting.  Seeing as bammer currently stands at 27 commits, that means that saban is going to screw at least 2 kids just hours before signing day, if not ON signing day.  

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:35:57 EST »

show it to me

It will be the best in the country- for about 5 minutes.  With the facilities arms race currently raging in NCAA sports, I don't expect it stay on top for long.  Remember, Neyland-Thompson was the envy of college football when it was first built, too.  But it has since been lapped by the field. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: