VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 01:50:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In the coming days  (Read 5836 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:23 EST »

You will hear about Vandy closing the gap on Tennessee recruiting because ESPN ranks VU 25 and UT 22. When you hear that, keep in mind that ESPN inexplicably does not rank JUCO players, of which we got three players that should contribute immediately.

247: VU 49, UT 18
Rivals: VU 28, UT 18
Scout: VU 43, UT 24

I don't trust ESPN when it comes to reporting, whether it's recruiting or otherwise. Everything at ESPN is driven by the agenda to push people towards their programming. Sure the other services try to increase their subscriber bases, but they don't have programming to push people towards. Recruiting coverage and reporting at ESPN should be part of the marketing department.

Frankly even though there are a lot of sunshine pumpers out there, the close to this class was disappointing... yes, I know rankings mean nothing until the games are played, but we are getting beat by everybody in the league on the field because they are beating us in recruiting... but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit by and listen to James Franklin declare some kind of PR victory in recruiting.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:52 EST »

One more comment... Yes, I think the class ended up pretty good in light of coaching attrition, but a lot of people thought UT could finish in the top 10 and they went down not up in spite of Patterson. Losing Santos and Peters and missing on Kirven, Davis, and Leggett meant a difference of about 10 spots in most rankings.

Cue the "rankins don't matter, look at Boise State!" responses.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:57:51 EST »

File today under "this doesn't change anything." Nothing that could have happened today would have changed the rubber/road moment that comes in about 7 months. If Dooley has a good year and is retained I'll start thinking about this recruiting class more.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:56 EST »

File today under "this doesn't change anything." Nothing that could have happened today would have changed the rubber/road moment that comes in about 7 months. If Dooley has a good year and is retained I'll start thinking about this recruiting class more.

True.

I can't help but pay attention to recruiting but long time VTTWers will notice that I did not do any updates today to speak of. I was curious about the final four prospects, but other than that I just had a passing interest.

The bottom line is that we all know it's time to make a leap... it's time to coach them up and make some progress.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:32 EST »

On paper we should have a nice offense next year.  It would seem that we beefed up the D especially the DL.  LB was a disappointment, but i think we'll get another LB.  Justin King and Trent Taylor will be LB.  Plus i really think somebody like Alden Hill could be moved.  We've got Neal, Bourque, Lane, Smith,  and the other running back out of jawga.  We should be poised to make a move, but I thought that last year, too.  ???
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:23:11 EST »

True.

I can't help but pay attention to recruiting but long time VTTWers will notice that I did not do any updates today to speak of. I was curious about the final four prospects, but other than that I just had a passing interest.

The bottom line is that we all know it's time to make a leap... it's time to coach them up and make some progress.

Yep. NSD used to be a much bigger deal to fans like you and me. I was paying some attention, as I always want to bring in some good guys, but it's hard to work up much excitement or disappointment anymore.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

10EC
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:37 EST »

we are getting beat by everybody in the league on the field because they are beating us in recruiting

Chicken or the egg.

we are getting beat in recruiting by everybody in this league becasue they are beating us on the field

At some point, coaching has to be the difference maker.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:27:58 EST »

Chicken or the egg.

we are getting beat in recruiting by everybody in this league becasue they are beating us on the field

If you had posted this on the old board, I'd be starring it a dozen times over.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:06 EST »

Hunter and Bray's injuries hurt us in recruiting too. I think we can reasonably say we would have been much more competitive with those two all year and likely get a bowl game as well. That would have put us on the upswing from instead of the downswing and they could not have used the "Dooley may not be there after next year" tactic.

We could be poised for a pretty good year (9 wins)  depending on health and how fast the juco defensive guys assimilate and getting a run game going. If it doesn't mesh we may be looking for another coach as bad as I hate to say it.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:07 EST »

Maybe they'll put some weight on Cody Bland and he can play LB.       That one is a head scratcher.  Any idea what they do intend to do with him?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 09:43:42 EST »

Chicken or the egg.

Coaching is certainly part of it, but it's all about players. No matter how good a coach you are, if your players are not big enough, tough enough, or fast enough, you will lose in the SEC. Fulmer got us there by recruiting, not coaching. Eventually, you have to start taking guys that you want away from other programs. If what you said was true, then there would be no cycles in CFB and only the teams that win would recruit well. We all know that isn't true.

I agree that Dooley has to be a better coach, but I don't agree with the premise of your post that it's the chicken or the egg. Sometimes when you need to get over the hump against a rival you have to go out and sign a Heath Shuler or a Peyton Manning or a Al Wilson.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:12 EST »

Maybe they'll put some weight on Cody Bland and he can play LB.       That one is a head scratcher.  Any idea what they do intend to do with him?

He runs 4.4.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:49:31 EST »

I am mildly disappointed with our recruiting.  I would like to have seen top 15, maybe even top 10, but at the same time it could have been worse.  Some of the kids can step in and contribute right away, particularly the Jucos, and even if they don't they can add depth, which we desperately lacked last year.

I really do hope Dooley can make it through next season, because our senior class this year is still weak, since it was the Kiffin class that fizzled.  We still need one more year to fully recuperate, so a good season and great recruiting season next year and we are about where we need to be.

Having said that, I am not at all lowering my expectations for this coming season.  The schedule is easy enough to expect 8-9 wins, whether we are still a bit depleted or not.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: