VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 07:58:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you could pick two Vols from any era to put on this team  (Read 12465 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:24:40 EDT »

Who would they be?

I think one of mine would have to be a great RB. I would probably go with Travis Henry over Jamal Lewis.

The other one is a little tougher. I think Herman Lathers is going to be hardpressed to stay healthy, so I want to pick Al Wilson at ILB. I also think that while we have some talent in the secondary, a Deon Grant or Dale Carter could really help. But in the end, the choice for me comes down to DL / OLB. I considered Shaun Ellis at rush DT, but I think I would pick Leonard Little to play the Jack LB spot. When he came to Tennessee at like 220 pounds, he would've been a terror standing up rushing the passer.

I'm curious to see what others think. Would somebody add Peyton or one of our great WRs even though we seem to have talent at those spots?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:12 EDT »

Two different combinations come to mind.

1. Like you, a great rb and a lb.  I'd have to choose Jamal Lewis and Leonard Little.

2. Add Peyton and a great db.  Deon Grant/Jason Parker/Dale Carter/Jason Allen... Man, that's a toughie.

Tell you what though, I'm close to saying Dustin Colquitt.  Sounds nuts to include a punter.. But he was a game changer.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:46:02 EDT »

1. Like you, a great rb and a lb.  I'd have to choose Jamal Lewis and Leonard Little.

2. Add Peyton and a great db.  Deon Grant/Jason Parker/Dale Carter/Jason Allen... Man, that's a toughie.

Tell you what though, I'm close to saying Dustin Colquitt.  Sounds nuts to include a punter.. But he was a game changer.

I don't think that's nuts at all. He won an OT game against SC all by himself once.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:46:36 EDT »

Also funny how both of us mentioned DBs but didn't say EB. Weird.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:51 EDT »

I'd probably take Chuck Webb, just because he was a constant homerun threat, but a more physical guy like Henry or Stewart would probably fit this offense better.  

I'll go off the wall with my other pick:  Fuad Reveiz.  I'm sick of 37 yard FGs basically being a coin flip.  Fuad was money on anything inside 50 yards.  When we reach the opponent's 30, I want to be able to say to myself, "We're guaranteed at least 3 points here".

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:15 EDT »

I'd probably take Chuck Webb, just because he was a constant homerun threat, but a more physical guy like Henry or Stewart would probably fit this offense better.  

I'll go off the wall with my other pick:  Fuad Reveiz.  I'm sick of 37 yard FGs basically being a coin flip.  Fuad was money on anything inside 50 yards.  When we reach the opponent's 30, I want to be able to say to myself, "We're guaranteed at least 3 points here".

Again I don't think a kicker is so off the wall. We have left a lot of points on the field since Wilhoit left, including at least one win and maybe more that I'm not thinking of.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:00 EDT »

Again I don't think a kicker is so off the wall. We have left a lot of points on the field since Wilhoit left, including at least one win and maybe more that I'm not thinking of.

It would take so much pressure off our young players on both sides if we had an automatic kicking game.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:34 EDT »

Peyton Manning, Joey Kent, Carl Pickens, Chuck Webb, Jeff Hall, Al Wilson, Eric Berry, Deon Grant, Darryl Hardy, Leonard Little.

Oh, wait, did you say two? Well, Nick Saban says that if the NCAA says you can have two, they really mean you can have 10. So give me all of them.

(Edit: I had to resubmit this post twice because of "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." Could this actually be assumed an active VTTW thread?
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 06:10:45 EDT »

Heath Shuler 
Dirk Borgonone
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:11:37 EDT »

Peyton Manning, Joey Kent, Carl Pickens, Chuck Webb, Jeff Hall, Al Wilson, Eric Berry, Deon Grant, Darryl Hardy, Leonard Little.

Oh, wait, did you say two? Well, Nick Saban says that if the NCAA says you can have two, they really mean you can have 10. So give me all of them.

(Edit: I had to resubmit this post twice because of "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." Could this actually be assumed an active VTTW thread?

You know you can turn off those notifications, right?

I will admit something... I gave thought to not renewing the hosting for VTTW. If the drop dead date had been two weeks ago, I probably would've let it go. But the date was next week, which is inside the 100 days, so I figured what the hell... I'll hang on for another year and see what happens. (I already let the VTTW.net domain go, FWIW.)

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:17:07 EDT »

You know you can turn off those notifications, right?

Yeah.

If you let VolsToTheWall go and force me to start reading VolNation or Gridscape, I will hate you forever.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 06:19:29 EDT »

Yeah.

If you let VolsToTheWall go and force me to start reading VolNation or Gridscape, I will hate you forever.

I have gone through that lull before where I don't enjoy posting about UT or reading the board and think about letting it go. It usually passes. Luckily it passed again. I probably considered it more this year than in years prior.

I have also considered canceling my VQ and 247 subs. I probably will cancel 247... I don't get anything of value there. VQ is usually good for practice coverage and recruiting but the board sucks.

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 06:25:02 EDT »

John Henderson 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 07:27:56 EDT »

I have gone through that lull before where I don't enjoy posting about UT or reading the board and think about letting it go. It usually passes. Luckily it passed again. I probably considered it more this year than in years prior.

I have also considered canceling my VQ and 247 subs. I probably will cancel 247... I don't get anything of value there. VQ is usually good for practice coverage and recruiting but the board sucks.

Likewise, this is the first year I've thought "if it weren't for Dad, I wouldn't want to go to the games this fall".
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:33 EDT »

I'm not going to make an effort to pick up season tickets this year and really figured the only game I would go to would be Florida. But I guess I'm like Revolver. The closer we get, the more my enthusiasm increases. By the time August gets here I'll probably be making plans to attend as many games as possible.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 08:23:35 EDT »

Chuck Webb  - IMO the best UT back from a talent standpoint ever

Fuad Reveiz - IMO our placekicking will cost us

edit: I didn't read BDV's post when I wrote the above.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:26:15 EDT by Volznut » Logged
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 08:59:32 EDT »

I want the two meanest guards to ever play at UT. Whoever they are. I have watched some of these old videos lately and some of those guys would pull around and just bury their man. 
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 09:50:39 EDT »

Al Wilson---for nasty
Reggie White---for even more nasty thou Reggie would bless after he destoryed you.

Peyton----I take any day, but I think Bray has very nice year in 2012.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:49 EDT »

Also funny how both of us mentioned DBs but didn't say EB. Weird.

I was going to say something about it, but you noticed it yourself.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 09:56:44 EDT »

No excuse for how our kickers performed last year.  Palardy was really highly rated coming out of HS.  Then again, his STATS don't really look that bad, so maybe some of it in his case is perception (missing at bad times, etc).  But there is NO EXCUSE for the punting...we only averaged 36 ypg.  

I meant to add that this is the one area I expect SUBSTANTIAL IMPROVEMENT in.  Anything less is an indictment of Dooley.  As bad as we were last year in all aspects of the game, we have talent (on paper at least) in the kicking game and we should expect far better performance.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:59:04 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 10:02:32 EDT »

I agree on the RB, but I might pick Cobb, I don't know.  Between Henry and Lewis I would favor Lewis by a small amount.  He was faster and more athletic, though Henry had the pure strength and could often make yards on his own (with our current run blocking woes, maybe a  good thing).

And for DB, I would definitely go with EB.

If I had to take a LB, it would be Al Wilson for sure.

But...IMO our biggest challenge on D is the DL.  So I am going to say Lewis as RB and John Henderson on the DL.

Those are the two...honorable mention is Chad Clifton at OL.   

IMO, other than RB, we mostly need help on the lines (but fourth I would take EB at DB).

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 10:13:02 EDT »

I agree on the RB, but I might pick Cobb, I don't know.  Between Henry and Lewis I would favor Lewis by a small amount.  He was faster and more athletic, though Henry had the pure strength and could often make yards on his own (with our current run blocking woes, maybe a  good thing).

And for DB, I would definitely go with EB.

If I had to take a LB, it would be Al Wilson for sure.

But...IMO our biggest challenge on D is the DL.  So I am going to say Lewis as RB and John Henderson on the DL.

Those are the two...honorable mention is Chad Clifton at OL.   

IMO, other than RB, we mostly need help on the lines (but fourth I would take EB at DB).

I think the OL problem last year was one of coaching, not talent, so I'm not convinced that help is needed there. I think they are pretty deep and pretty talented.

On defense we are counting on a lot of people to make big steps or big first time impacts, especially on the line.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 10:46:10 EDT »

I think the OL problem last year was one of coaching, not talent, so I'm not convinced that help is needed there. I think they are pretty deep and pretty talented.

On defense we are counting on a lot of people to make big steps or big first time impacts, especially on the line.

Anyone know if we will employ a zone blocking scheme again?
10EC
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 10:49:19 EDT »

We left that one win on the field twice as I recall.

That big fata$$
Quasi EVol
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:12 EDT »

General Neyland & David Cutcliffe. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: