VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 08:23:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnny Majors, Sparky Woods, and orange helmets  (Read 691 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 16, 2022, 03:29:15 EST »

Johnny Majors proposed orange helmets as soon as he arrived in Knoxville as head coach in 1977. A young grad assistant on his staff, Sparky Woods, spoke out against them. "Well," Majors said, "your ass don't matter anyway." It turned out that the Vols didn't wear the orange helmets in 1977 or any other season under Majors. But Majors fired Woods, and he wound up on a trajectory that led him to Appalachian State and then South Carolina. And in Columbia, 30 years ago, he and Steve Taneyhill beat Tennessee. Majors was fired less than a week later. "I couldn't help thinking years later that I guess I did matter when they brought him in and did to him what happens to us all eventually," Woods said.

Irony.

http://ihsports.net/thirty-years-ago-sparky-woods-gamecocks-prompted-a-coaching-change-at-tennessee/
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 04:55:38 EST »

Interesting....

I was at Majors last game at the Liberty Bowl Stadium in Memphis and Fulmers first official game as HC in Tampa....Lots and lots of water over and under the bridge since those days.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 05:31:53 EST »

Very interesting....Majors treatment of Sparky is on par with everything I have ever heard about him. I was in school from 1985 to 1990 and word on the street was that Majors typically didn't get along with his assistants and had run off a bunch over the years, not always by firing, but some just got the hell out of dodge because they couldn't stand him.  That was just a rumor though it was widely disseminated.

Then in 1992, when Majors was fired, Joe Johnson happened to attend church with my father and they were both in church leadership.  Joe told my dad that a big reason Majors was fired was "relationships".  Apparently he had issues getting along with the University (those were public at the time), his assistant coaches and often even with players.  We all know he went after the "legions of the miserable" boosters on at least one occasion also (that one might be okay though  ).

Anyway, overall the picture is of someone who was arrogant and felt entitled until Dr. Johnson and Doug Dickey gave him the boot.  To me, his actions in 1992 just proved it.  He came back in what looked to this observer like a fit of jealously and just shizzle all over what had been a wonderful season. After that, he needed to go.

He was the coach when I moved to Knoxville in 1982 and all through my college career and I do respect him as a decent (though not great) coach who had some brilliant victories but also underachieved at times.  But it was time for him to go!

OTOH, my brother in law's step father played with Larry Majors at Sewannee and knows the Majors family through his step father,  so my BIL has always been a Johnny's Boy who never respected Fulmer.  Which is too bad.  Whatever his ultimate flaws, Fulmer did get us to the top. I'm not sure Johnny ever would have.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 03:27:46 EST »

This is quite interesting. Frank Broyles had a ton of guys work for him because a) he made some great hires, and b) apparently he wasn't fun to work for.

One of those hires was Majors, who was also good at finding talented assistants, but may have had similar traits. To be clear my brief interactions with Majors and Broyles were extremely positive, but both clearly had revolving doors.

On another note, it sounds like Bandit has a Laurel connection. I'm a huge Joe Johnson fan.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 09:25:11 EST »

This is quite interesting. Frank Broyles had a ton of guys work for him because a) he made some great hires, and b) apparently he wasn't fun to work for.

One of those hires was Majors, who was also good at finding talented assistants, but may have had similar traits. To be clear my brief interactions with Majors and Broyles were extremely positive, but both clearly had revolving doors.

On another note, it sounds like Bandit has a Laurel connection. I'm a huge Joe Johnson fan.

Yes, my parents attended Laurel for many years, as did I in HS and college.  They switched to Murville about 15 years ago or so to follow my sister who switched. 

Joe Johnson loved UT, came up through the ranks, and was one of the best Presidents ever IMO.  Just  a good guy all around.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 11:40:59 EST »

Yes, my parents attended Laurel for many years, as did I in HS and college.  They switched to Murville about 15 years ago or so to follow my sister who switched. 

Joe Johnson loved UT, came up through the ranks, and was one of the best Presidents ever IMO.  Just  a good guy all around.
Concur on Joe Johnson

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 12:40:58 EST »

Concur on Joe Johnson

Seriously great President.  Unlike Lamar.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 02:48:48 EST »

Seriously great President.  Unlike Lamar.

I wasn't going to go there, but had the exact same thought.   

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 04:21:02 EST »

In that case there's a high probability we met at some point. I attended there from birth in 1974 until 1990 when we moved to Murfreesboro. I went to Heritage High School outside Murville.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 06:32:54 EST »

In that case there's a high probability we met at some point. I attended there from birth in 1974 until 1990 when we moved to Murfreesboro. I went to Heritage High School outside Murville.

No way!  That's pretty cool. I was born in 1966, attended Laurel from 1982 to 1990. So you left the same time i did but we are 8 years apart. 

Let's see...I graduated from Doyle HS in 1985, at which time you would have been 11. I mostly interacted with other teanagers, but likely I know who your family is at least.

My father became an elder in 1990 in fact, right as I was graduating from UT.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: