VTTW Board Index
May 22, 2024, 12:18:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duke -2?!  (Read 833 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2023, 04:38:43 EDT »

What am I missing here? It seems like they’re just begging us to lay the points. Does Vegas know something we don’t?

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 05:15:17 EDT »

What am I missing here? It seems like they’re just begging us to lay the points. Does Vegas know something we don’t?

I'm not a gambler. Don't really understand the jargon. But statistically the teams are basically even. ESPN modelling says UT has a 75% chance to win. We have the #3 BPI. So according to ESPN there are only two teams that should beat us if we went head to head   if I am reading their data correctly 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:17:40 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 05:22:53 EDT »

I'm not a gambler. Don't really understand the jargon. But statistically the teams are basically even. ESPN modelling says UT has a 75% chance to win. We have the #3 BPI. So according to ESPN there are only two teams that should beat us if we went head to head   if I am reading their data correctly  

To me, this is like Florida's QB being projected high in the draft. Am I the only sane person left in the world?  
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 05:31:47 EDT »

To me, this is like Florida's QB being projected high in the draft. Am I the only sane person left in the world?  

Maybe   Duke, though,  is statistically even  
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 05:44:47 EDT »

It means that if you take Duke, they have to win by at least 3  for you to win (2 is a push). If you take UT, you win if they win outright or lose by 1.

If I were betting on this game, I’d probably lay upwards of 10 points on Duke. I just don’t see it being that close.

And the BPI and other computer models are entirely stats based. They don’t take the eye test or recent play into account.

But like I said, maybe Vegas knows something we don’t.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 06:03:31 EDT »

It means that if you take Duke, they have to win by at least 3  for you to win (2 is a push). If you take UT, you win if they win outright or lose by 1.

If I were betting on this game, I’d probably lay upwards of 10 points on Duke. I just don’t see it being that close.

And the BPI and other computer models are entirely stats based. They don’t take the eye test or recent play into account.

I'm cautiously optimistic at best. I do like Mashak at PG instead of Vescovi. Last night when the others were clanking FT's he stepped up there and stroked em. As they say, he just seems to have that dog in him.
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 08:51:39 EDT »

My Joe is we get the Bama game Vols
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 09:24:51 EDT »

And KYs QB....

The Florida QB did have a career day against our asses....not matched before or since. We were a 3 TD better team and had to hang on 

We are probably while he's so high....he had a All American....Heisman performance against us.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 11:02:28 EDT »

And KYs QB....

The Florida QB did have a career day against our asses....not matched before or since. We were a 3 TD better team and had to hang on 

We are probably while he's so high....he had a All American....Heisman performance against us.

He also performed well against Utah State and at least 2-3 other games, but was wildly inconsistent.  I can't tell you the other games now, but a gator buddy at work agrees with my assessment, FWIW.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 11:07:20 EDT »

Dook is overrated.  Worst dook team I have seen in years. I have seen posted that they are on  a hot streak, but IMO the ACC is also very weak this year, honestly the weakest I have ever seen.  I can support that.  There is not an ACC team seeded higher than 5.  That is unheard of!  So, ya, not that impressed by dook.

Having said that, its clear that Vegas does not appreciate what we lost in Zakai. Not just that he is apparently our only good PG and his stats, but the intangibles he brings as a leader and go to guy at the end of the game.  Those can't be measured by a computer.

So I say, with ZZ we would win, perhaps easily, but I am making dook a favorite, but not by that much.  That's my $0.02 anyway.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 11:13:10 EDT »

Dook is overrated.  Worst dook team I have seen in years. I have seen posted that they are on  a hot streak, but IMO the ACC is also very weak this year, honestly the weakest I have ever seen.  I can support that.  There is not an ACC team seeded higher than 5.  That is unheard of!  So, ya, not that impressed by dook.

Having said that, its clear that Vegas does not appreciate what we lost in Zakai. Not just that he is apparently our only good PG and his stats, but the intangibles he brings as a leader and go to guy at the end of the game.  Those can't be measured by a computer.

So I say, with ZZ we would win, perhaps easily, but I am making dook a favorite, but not by that much.  That's my $0.02 anyway.

Clearly the computers are still giving us some serious credit for the easy wins over Kansas, Texas, and bammer. I doubt that any team in America has three better wins this year. But the team we’re putting out there right now is a far cry from the team that won those games. That team would’ve boatraced Duke. This team, not so much.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 11:13:53 EDT »

Dook is overrated.  Worst dook team I have seen in years. I have seen posted that they are on  a hot streak, but IMO the ACC is also very weak this year, honestly the weakest I have ever seen.  I can support that.  There is not an ACC team seeded higher than 5.  That is unheard of!  So, ya, not that impressed by dook.

Having said that, its clear that Vegas does not appreciate what we lost in Zakai. Not just that he is apparently our only good PG and his stats, but the intangibles he brings as a leader and go to guy at the end of the game.  Those can't be measured by a computer.

So I say, with ZZ we would win, perhaps easily, but I am making dook a favorite, but not by that much.  That's my $0.02 anyway.

Oops!  Varginia is a 4 seed.  But also one that went out in game 1, which may just make my point even stronger.   

Glancing at the dook last ten games, they lost the first two to go 8-2 so the streak is only 8 games. In which they have 3 close wins and 2 decisive wins against crappy teams, and relatively close wins over Miami and Virginia in the Acc tourney, which are the only two ranked teams they beat in that stretch.  Of which virginia is higher seeded and has already exited

So...a hot streak in the ACC tourney against the weakest ACC field in a long time, maybe even going to pre-Dean Smith era.

I am going to continue to be unimpressed.

Unfortunately, still does not mean we beat them.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2023, 11:15:55 EDT »

But the team we’re putting out there right now is a far cry from the team that won those games. That team would’ve boatraced Duke. This team, not so much.

yep 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 01:31:59 EDT »

I am no gambler but I would have to take Duke in this one. Might as well be straight up even odds. With ZZ, not so much.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2023, 01:13:20 EDT »

I am no gambler but I would have to take Duke in this one. Might as well be straight up even odds. With ZZ, not so much.

Its a good thing you are not a gambler 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 01:23:46 EDT »

Grant Williams is such a king

I won't link the tweet (NSFW) but Barstool Rocky Top has the tweet with Grant with the stuff

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 01:25:54 EDT »

Grant Williams is such a king

I won't link the tweet (NSFW) but Barstool Rocky Top has the tweet with Grant with the stuff

eh, label it NSFW and people can choose not to click it

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: