VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 07:08:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Depth........  (Read 2461 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2021, 04:26:02 EDT »

We have some pretty good players. We just don't have enough of them.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 04:29:57 EDT »

Good first half.  Just outmatched as expected.

Games except UGA, Bama, and Ole Miss winnable.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 05:12:29 EDT »

Games except UGA, Bama, and Ole Miss winnable.

Yep. And we had better win a few.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 05:42:07 EDT »

No QB....Very average or just below OL.....And wr's that can't catch......Defense that gets gassed and looks bad. Other than that not bad.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 06:06:35 EDT »

We looked ok against a great team for a half.

I'll take that as a decent sign for future prospects.  

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 06:37:43 EDT »

We have some pretty good players. We just don't have enough of them.
I tend to agree, we were down to 3rd string OL in the  4th, and it showed
Interesting substitution patter with the WR in the  2nd half as well

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 03:11:09 EDT »

Slight disagreement. 

We have very few SEC caliber players right now.  That's the issue. 

And the ones that we do have don't seem to be able to catch the football or keep from doing stupid stuff. 

But I like the effort we are getting from those SEC caliber players we do have, and I have no doubt that this coaching staff is light years away from the past couple of staffs. 

It's just all about recruiting, and until the NCAA issues are resolved that isn't going to be good.  Right now it's awful.  Other schools are hammering us with potential sanction accusations, which our staff can't quiet at this point because they don't know, either. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 06:42:30 EDT »

Let's hope the NCAA wraps up the investigation soon.  Not holding my breath though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 03:07:36 EDT »

Only 71 scholarship players, half of whom aren't even lower level SEC caliber talent. 

And it's going to get worse before it gets better.  Until the NCAA determines what our punishment is going to be recruiting is going to continue to suck out loud.  It just is. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 04:51:52 EDT »

Only 71 scholarship players, half of whom aren't even lower level SEC caliber talent. 

And it's going to get worse before it gets better.  Until the NCAA determines what our punishment is going to be recruiting is going to continue to suck out loud.  It just is. 

It's time for UT to name its punishment and dare the NCAA to make it worse.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 05:29:48 EDT »

I tend to agree and believe in the end that is what will happen
I just wonder if there is more gump related issues in the background that is causing further delay to that end

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 06:18:07 EDT »

I tend to agree and believe in the end that is what will happen
I just wonder if there is more gump related issues in the background that is causing further delay to that end

I'm not sure what else UT can do there at this point.  They cut ties with him and have refused to pay a buyout because of the keep clean clause in his contract.   At this point, it's time to shizzle or get off the pot.  

And an Edit: 

The only possible thing that the NCAA could still use would be if they tied Poot's actions to that of an administrator, and with Fulmer gone, too, even that would be difficult.  But, the fact that UT actually did pay Fulmer a buyout might negate that action.  Paying Fulmer for going away again was a mistake, IMO.  Should have just sent his ass packing the same way they did Poot. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:20:32 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 06:46:57 EDT »

Again, we've already given up 14 scholarships and a bowl appearance. Presumably all the players and coaches in question are gone. That's a lot more punishment than many other schools have gotten for worse offenses.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 06:47:11 EDT »

I'm not sure what else UT can do there at this point.  They cut ties with him and have refused to pay a buyout because of the keep clean clause in his contract.   At this point, it's time to shizzle or get off the pot.  

And an Edit: 

The only possible thing that the NCAA could still use would be if they tied Poot's actions to that of an administrator, and with Fulmer gone, too, even that would be difficult.  But, the fact that UT actually did pay Fulmer a buyout might negate that action.  Paying Fulmer for going away again was a mistake, IMO.  Should have just sent his ass packing the same way they did Poot. 
I agree with you on Fulmer!
TWO (2) times we have paid him to leave and shut up, at least one time too many IMO

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 12:09:51 EDT »

Again, we've already given up 14 scholarships and a bowl appearance. Presumably all the players and coaches in question are gone. That's a lot more punishment than many other schools have gotten for worse offenses.

well, does the 71 really count, or is that just a circumstance?  It wasn't voluntary, I don't think.   But we did give up the bowl appearance, so we have that going for us.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 01:06:28 EDT »

well, does the 71 really count, or is that just a circumstance?  It wasn't voluntary, I don't think.   But we did give up the bowl appearance, so we have that going for us.

It was circumstantial, but we could have filled those slots. Take some marginal transfers, awards schollies to walk-ons, etc. We chose to leave them unfilled. I doubt seriously that was intended to be an act of penitence, but in the eyes of the NCAA it doesn't matter. Others do this all time.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 04:22:18 EDT »

Our lack of depth is going to hurt us against all teams not called Commodores. I feel we can handle them. Everyone else in the SEC:

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 05:49:43 EDT »

Our lack of depth is going to hurt us against all teams not called Commodores. I feel we can handle them. Everyone else in the SEC:

ESPN shows us as a big favorite over SC junior at home.  UK and Mizzou as toss ups.  I think that's about right.

No computer program is ever perfect, but over the years of following it the ESPN FPI is about as good as you're going to get IMO.

In any case, it matches my current expectations.

Think about it this way.  We should beat USA, vandy, and USC junior.  UK and Mizzou are coin tosses.  If you do two coin flips, odds are you win one.

Puts some pressure on our game this weekend.  Beat Mizzou and we are (IMO) almost a lock for a bowl.  Lose and now UK is must win. 

All I can say, is....Go Vols!   

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 05:56:10 EDT »

ESPN shows us as a big favorite over SC junior at home.  UK and Mizzou as toss ups.  I think that's about right.

No computer program is ever perfect, but over the years of following it the ESPN FPI is about as good as you're going to get IMO.

Think about it this way.  We should beat USA, vandy, and USC junior.  UK and Mizzou are coin tosses.  If you do two coin flips, odds are you win one.

Puts some pressure on our game this weekend.  Beat Mizzou and we are (IMO) almost a lock for a bowl.  Lose and now UK is must win. 

I think that pretty much sums it up as far as out bowl chances are.  We gotta "hold serve" against USA, Vandy, and SC.  Then we gotta win one against UK or Mizzou. 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 06:01:23 EDT »

Mizzou = probable win (down to possible if Milton III starts as I believe he will, after Heuple's comments yesterday) - biggest issue is the O-line
USCe = probable win
KY = possible win (we'll see how good they are, or are not, Saturday)
S bamer = WIN
Candy = blowout WIN

So my minimum is 5 wins

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 06:38:24 EDT »

Mizzou = probable win (down to possible if Milton III starts as I believe he will, after Heuple's comments yesterday) - biggest issue is the O-line
USCe = probable win
KY = possible win (we'll see how good they are, or are not, Saturday)
S bamer = WIN
Candy = blowout WIN

So my minimum is 5 wins

On another message board they are saying maybe Hooker is getting a lot of reps. If true, that's a good sign.  I guess we will find out.

The only information I have on his injury is that it was stated in KNS that it was a "lower leg injury".  That implies ankle, I think.  If so, he could go on an injured ankle, but if his run ability is affected that speaks for itself.

I guess we will find out.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2021, 07:03:44 EDT »

On another message board they are saying maybe Hooker is getting a lot of reps. If true, that's a good sign.  I guess we will find out.

The only information I have on his injury is that it was stated in KNS that it was a "lower leg injury".  That implies ankle, I think.  If so, he could go on an injured ankle, but if his run ability is affected that speaks for itself.

I guess we will find out.
I find that interesting, since they were concentrating ABOVE the waist when he was laying and sitting on the field Saturday night

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2021, 07:27:14 EDT »

Per VQ Hooker's possible availability is more promising

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2021, 07:32:27 EDT »

It seems the SEC is very deep with good teams this year. Especially the West. Hope the Vols can just keep from getting worn out depth wise.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2021, 08:28:49 EDT »

I find that interesting, since they were concentrating ABOVE the waist when he was laying and sitting on the field Saturday night

That has been polnted out to me on VN as well.  Here is the link.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2021/09/25/hendon-hooker-tennessee-vols-football-injury-joe-milton-florida-game/5871741001/

Okay, the lower leg injury was Milton. I didn't read it carefully enough.

That is great news, as it means Mr. Hooker can still run.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: