VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 10:35:20 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting deal on the QBs  (Read 810 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2021, 03:42:20 EDT »

Up until Hooker almost had his head tore off the only two QBs warming up all game were Hooker and Bailey
Was shocked when Milton went into the game
Then the last drive showed why we are screwed at the QB position
Hooker is the “best” but has some serious limitations
He panics too quickly (just see the reactions to the bad snaps if you don’t believe me), never looks downfield when pressured, just looks to run (like he is still in HS) and his arm isn’t the strongest
However he does manage the offense pretty well, within those boundaries.
Milton just believes his cannon arm came overcome anything (he is a THROWER not a PASSER) or failing that he runs
It is amazing how much bigger he is than Hooker (very stark difference)
Bailey is all things HTC said earlier this morning

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 07:41:49 EDT »

I would like to take issue with all of this, but I do not. Oh well, I think Heupel is managing the best he can.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 05:21:55 EDT »

I disagree about the reaction to snaps. I thought he recovered very well and stayed calm on a few of them, and at least fell on the ball the other time or two (going back and including all of them from Tech and BG).  Opinions can vary on that as it's a very subjective. 

As for him running too fast and not looking downfield...well probably so in some cases, but as long as he keeps ripping off 5, 8 , 12, 15 yard runs I'm not sure I GAS.  If it gets to the point where he starts missing wide open WRs because he tucks and runs too fast I might change my mind, but he gashed Florida pretty well I thought.  Would agree that at times he can be more patient, but at least he has the wheels to run.

Agree on Milton...as I said elsewhere, he looks like a guy with a cannon arm that just never bothered to get reps in.  He looked worse in the 4th quarter than he did in his previous two games, I suspect he just wasn't mentally prepared to step in.  IMO his worst performance so far is Florida, I'm hoping if he plays again he at least goes back to his earlier form where he was at least hitting the short to medium routes.

I haven't completey given up on Milton yet just because, with Hooker gone after this year we don't have much else.  Who knows, maybe Heupel will settle him down by the end of the season. I defintely wouldn't bet on it, but I also don't see any reason to just give up on him either, we have 8 games to go.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 08:22:49 EDT »

Coaching a QB is a matter of trust. Until the QB trusts what the coach says... You aren't breaking his tendencies. I wonder if when a team is looking for a BMOC they may look to bring in a coach with a player of promise? Maybe a coach that has produced a QB a time or two? I'm sure it's been thought of before and the idea probably has a number of drawbacks. It just seems we are always in this predicament. But of note... it seems the best coaches for Qbs are those who have played the position themselves.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:24:39 EDT by tshadow » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 02:13:18 EDT »

I disagree about the reaction to snaps. I thought he recovered very well and stayed calm on a few of them, and at least fell on the ball the other time or two (going back and including all of them from Tech and BG).  Opinions can vary on that as it's a very subjective. 

As for him running too fast and not looking downfield...well probably so in some cases, but as long as he keeps ripping off 5, 8 , 12, 15 yard runs I'm not sure I GAS.  If it gets to the point where he starts missing wide open WRs because he tucks and runs too fast I might change my mind, but he gashed Florida pretty well I thought.  Would agree that at times he can be more patient, but at least he has the wheels to run.

Agree on Milton...as I said elsewhere, he looks like a guy with a cannon arm that just never bothered to get reps in.  He looked worse in the 4th quarter than he did in his previous two games, I suspect he just wasn't mentally prepared to step in.  IMO his worst performance so far is Florida, I'm hoping if he plays again he at least goes back to his earlier form where he was at least hitting the short to medium routes.

I haven't completey given up on Milton yet just because, with Hooker gone after this year we don't have much else.  Who knows, maybe Heupel will settle him down by the end of the season. I defintely wouldn't bet on it, but I also don't see any reason to just give up on him either, we have 8 games to go.

Every bad snap Hooker has made bad decision after bad decision - every single one
Previous game, 4th down, bad snap and IMMEDIATELY throws the ball at a receiver's feet 3-5 yards BEHIND the LOS
Last night, two bad snaps and IMMEDIATELY turns and runs INTO the DL for a sack/loss
There was a 3rd where he at least raised his head up, before running
The good news is that can be mitigated with good coaching, but it's a habit that must be changed

Hooker was pressured, a LOT Saturday night (that is a damn good front 7)
His tendency is to tuck and run, without keeping an eye for open receivers - last night (though I didn't have the best seats for half the field - way too low but they at least have a far better jumbotron in their South endzone than we do to see that end of the fields and ran better and more replays than we do) there were open receivers
The biggest issue is that against poor defenses those were positive yard plays
Saturday night against a good defense they were sacks
Again that is fixable to an extent

BTW, I see both our QBs receiving coaching on the sidelines at home games (My seats are behind the offense bench area)
The good news is that both show signs of accepting that coaching and exhibiting what they have learned
An example.  In one of the preseason videos you see Heupel coaching Hooker on his footwork and not overextending, especially on handoffs "Ya got me?"
Both Hooker and Milton exhibit the flat feet, short steps that were being taught in that short video (not sure Peyton's "happy feet" would fit into Heupel's QB play  )
Though Saturday night Hooker really extended and was off balance on a handoff, bet he heard about it on the sidelines

Bottom line is Hooker exhibits tendencies under pressure and Florida demonstrated they had seen them and planned accordingly

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 03:01:53 EDT »

Chances of the offense getting much better this year are pretty slim.  We simply have zero QB play, and very little OL play.  And absolutely no depth in the OL, so nothing is going to change there. 

Just brace for a long year.  It's going to happen. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: