VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 05:08:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UMass truly wretched  (Read 2644 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2017, 05:59:39 EDT »

0-4 on the year so far. Of course, all their losses were by a 10 points or less, so if we have a big hangover, they may stick around a while.

I just hope plenty of young guys get to play and .... this is important .... we stay injury free!  For once, maybe????

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:05:19 EDT »

On paper, yes. But they were terrible last year, too, and they managed to give three SEC teams a scare. (UMass finished 2-10 last year, with wins over FIU and Wagner.)

The difference between UMass this year and UMass last year is that they were a decent running team last year. This year they have absolutely no running game. They're one of the worst FBS teams in rushing offense, averaging 89 ypg. But their QB is pretty solid (passed for over 1,200 yards already, with 6 TDs to 1 INT) and he has a big 5th-year senior TE who was a preseason All-American that he loves to target. If we don't get pressure, he could put some points on us. Ultimately, Vols win big...but it may be a closer game, for a longer time, than most people seem to think.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:13:50 EDT »

Well, unlike many, I like watching us beat up on teams like UMass.  Especially after a frustrating loss. 

One thing to look for, do we come out and take out our frustrations on UMass, or come out listless and limp to a "just good enough" victory. I hope the first....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:06:04 EDT »

I really wish we'd just start Guarantano vs UMASS.  I've seen all I need to see from QD.  He's Worley 2.0.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 04:56:06 EDT »

I really wish we'd just start Guarantano vs UMASS.  I've seen all I need to see from QD.  He's Worley 2.0.

I wouldn't have agreed with you until this past weekend. I'm not sure Guarantano is the guy but I will be ticked if he doesn't get meaningful snaps this week.
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 05:29:13 EDT »

I wouldn't have agreed with you until this past weekend. I'm not sure Guarantano is the guy but I will be ticked if he doesn't get meaningful snaps this week.

First and goal at the one foot line, and he throws what could easily have been a pick-6.  Certainly wasn't his only mistake, but that's catastrophic enough to warrant giving Guarantano a serious look.  You just don't do that.  Terrible play call, but the execution is wide open TD or a wasted down throwaway.  Nothing in-between.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:51:39 EDT »

Yep, I was fine with QD being the starter before UF... but I just feel like we've seen what we're going to see from QD.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43:31 EDT »

First and goal at the one foot line, and he throws what could easily have been a pick-6.  Certainly wasn't his only mistake, but that's catastrophic enough to warrant giving Guarantano a serious look.  You just don't do that.  Terrible play call, but the execution is wide open TD or a wasted down throwaway.  Nothing in-between.

SEC network's McIllwain broke it down, and pointed out that:

1. Yes, it's true, Dormady audibled
2. It was (per McIllwain) the right call, as gators had 9 in box
3. The WRs totally ran the route really poorly
4. Hence there was almost a pick

One of the same WRs, BTW, dropped the TD pass on the first down from the 6 after the gurantanamo penalty, and then broke off a slant on 3rd that led to the pick.  It was no. 5...Pope I think.

Which begs the quesiton...why wasn't a vet like Smith or George in near the goal?  Speed doesn't mean much down there.  Knowledge of offense certainly does.  I think we definitely missed Jennings on that foray inside the five.   

Let me acknowldege that on the near pick Dormady's throw also was not the best.

I think no. 5 cost us dearly on that drive, and Dormady also not great. 

That doesn't mean i let the coaches off the hook.

1. Don't give a green QB authority to audible in that sitch.
2. If your starting QB is injured on the half yard line, CALL A FREAKING TIME OUT!!!!  He might even be able to come back in, and if not, you can settle his backup down.
3. Even if at 6, maybe go ahead and try one run???

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: