VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 01:01:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a very specific criticism of the defensive scheme  (Read 4273 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2013, 05:07:44 EST »

Vandy ran a WR screen about 15 times, and it was good for 4-8 yards every time. What is with that? Why are we so weak against that play, and why wasn't an adjustment made before this game (that has been a weekness for weeks, I feel).

We tried to run a very similar play with Pig several times, and it never worked. Is it just a matter of the other WR for them blocking and our guy can't, or is it defensive scheme?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:15:23 EST »

Vandy ran a WR screen about 15 times, and it was good for 4-8 yards every time. What is with that? Why are we so weak against that play, and why wasn't an adjustment made before this game (that has been a weekness for weeks, I feel).

We tried to run a very similar play with Pig several times, and it never worked. Is it just a matter of the other WR for them blocking and our guy can't, or is it defensive scheme?

I noticed that they got a block on our first defender every time. I'm not proficient enough in defensive schemes to explain it but they certainly worked that well.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 05:18:52 EST »

Swafford was the player slow to cover most of the time.  Also, a few times the corner went to the wrong side of the block.

The biggest difference when we "run" the WR screen is our WRs don't or can't block

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:00:18 EST »

Our lack of an effective 5th DB hurt us all year and really hurt us tonight

BTW,  was Toney hurt?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:24:37 EST »

Yes....Butch said in his postgame presser that Toney was out and it really hurt us.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 02:31:27 EST »

Simple execution. They did it well and we did not. Our lack of ability and foot speed keeps us from closing out on that play, plus it was probably our formation as well. Without looking at film it was probably an automatic call every time we lined up a certain way.  Its like free money.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 02:43:34 EST »

Simple execution. They did it well and we did not. Our lack of ability and foot speed keeps us from closing out on that play, plus it was probably our formation as well. Without looking at film it was probably an automatic call every time we lined up a certain way.  Its like free money.
a couple of points
It is one of their standard plays
Defending it involves two playersThe corner has to fight through the block to either make the tackle or influence which way the receiver goes off the block.  In this area we actually had some success (Coleman more than Sutton).
The other player is the safety/5th DB.  Last night in almost all cases due to injury/formation/defense it was Swafford as the 5th DB.  All to often he was slow to react, why I don't know.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 03:00:19 EST »

a couple of points
It is one of their standard plays
Defending it involves two playersThe corner has to fight through the block to either make the tackle or influence which way the receiver goes off the block.  In this area we actually had some success (Coleman more than Sutton).
The other player is the safety/5th DB.  Last night in almost all cases due to injury/formation/defense it was Swafford as the 5th DB.  All to often he was slow to react, why I don't know.

WOOHOO! Looks like I got one right!    
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 03:54:22 EST »

My biggest problem with this is how much space we kept giving their WR all night...this play was really easy for them to run with a 5-10 yard cushion given all night.  Second is we really made no adjustment to stop it, I would like to know why we don't bring both DB's and play tight coverage sometimes(when they ran a bubble screen off of a 2 WR set)?  I mean at least try to switch things up occasionally.
I definitely have some concern in the pit of my stomach with some things done by our coordinators.

Go Big Orange.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 04:03:30 EST »

My biggest problem with this is how much space we kept giving their WR all night...this play was really easy for them to run with a 5-10 yard cushion given all night.  Second is we really made no adjustment to stop it, I would like to know why we don't bring both DB's and play tight coverage sometimes(when they ran a bubble screen off of a 2 WR set)?  I mean at least try to switch things up occasionally.
I definitely have some concern in the pit of my stomach with some things done by our coordinators.

with Sutton on the wak side he does play tight press.
On the strong side we tened to play a soft zone with a safety over the top (though on the final drive the safety didn't cover their other wide out on the play).

One play I'd like to see is the long pass to Mathews that he fumbled at the 1.  Sutton had him man up at the snap but it appeared we were in zone and nobody picked him up when Sutton released him.

BTW, Coleman has played off his man all year.  Last night, early they had a 3rd and long (~10 yards) and Coleman gave a 15 yard cushion (10 yards at the snap).  Easy pitch and catch for a first down.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 04:14:27 EST »

Where is that post by Hollerboy, about the being on the ledge, I was talking some down off of it, NOW I'M OUT ON IT TOO.....   

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 02:22:29 EST »

A buddy of mine kept texting me last night as to why we didn't "adjust" to that play.  Which was a good point.  But I have to say, with the exception of a couple of them that went for first downs, I don't think Matthews really burned us that badly on that play.  Typically it went for 3-5 yards but then we would shut them down in some other way.

He only really had two big plays all night...the one that he fortunately fumbled, and the one at the end that was the back breaker on their final drive. 

I kind of think we had a strategy of keeping him in front of the DBs all night, letting him get some yards on the short stuff but avoiding the big play.  Have no way of actually knowing, but I don't think that play actually hurt us that badly over the course of the night.

That's not to say it could not have been better defended, but Matthews didn't get any huge plays other than the one at the end.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: