VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 12:32:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The loss of North destroyed the passing game?  (Read 1685 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:33:22 EST »

If memory serves we attempted 5 passes down the field all night
The long pass to Smith that resulted in two penalties (PI and Roughing the Passer)
Bad pass

The pass that Pig juggled going OB

The pass the Smith had go through his hands
Bad pass, should have been picked

The pass to Croom that was picked
Bad pass and/or route

The first pick
Bad pass

A few points:
Our pass protection was the worst in three years
Dobbs doesn't see the field well, yet
Dobbs missed two easy passes throwing the ball in the dirt on roll outs to the right
I'm not sure Dobbs has a SEC caliber arm

We have very few receivers that are capable of running routes, catching the ball or have the ability/desire to block
Of the first, we had receivers taking up space last night (quick, without looking at participation lists, can anyone tell me who played in North's spot?), two more drops and only Croom has shown any blocking tendencies
Bottom line is the receivers have been a disappointment to me

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 04:13:23 EST »

Butch said post-game that the loss of North took away a lot of Dobbs' down-th-field options. I think he's right. Tennessee's receivers, as a unit, are just woefully uncapable at this point. The best guy at getting open and running routes on a consistent basis is Josh Smith . . . so what does that tell us? He was typical Josh Smith last night, dropping that long pass that was right in his hands. When you have a true freshman like Smith on the field out of sheer necessity, that is a problem that only time will solve. Thankfully we have some good talent coming in.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 04:18:02 EST »

Butch said post-game that the loss of North took away a lot of Dobbs' down-th-field options. I think he's right. Tennessee's receivers, as a unit, are just woefully uncapable at this point. The best guy at getting open and running routes on a consistent basis is Josh Smith . . . so what does that tell us? He was typical Josh Smith last night, dropping that long pass that was right in his hands. When you have a true freshman like Smith on the field out of sheer necessity, that is a problem that only time will solve. Thankfully we have some good talent coming in.
Smith can and does get separation with his route running but ...
On that pass the defender should have picked it, it was badly under thrown.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: