VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 05:15:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butch recruiting hard  (Read 4621 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2016, 02:34:24 EST »

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/butch-jones-verge-assembling-top-notch-recruiting-class?utm_campaign=SF_Carvell_AJC&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Dooleyitis has not yet set in, apparently   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 03:07:02 EST »

I hope it's a strong finish but all I see in that is more Butchisms. "We are on the verge of one of assembling a top notch recruiting class."

We were also on the verge of assembling the best staff in America four years ago. So I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 04:22:41 EST »

I've read that getting Trey could potentially help us with Cam Akers.

There's no denying the fact that Butch is a hard worker.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:13:24 EST »

Butch has been a very good recruiter since he has been here. 

But that success on the recruiting trail hasn't translated to on the field success yet.  They are bringing projected talent in, but not getting potential out of that talent at this point. 

That has to change.  The teams we are chasing in the SEC are recruiting well, too.  Got to find a way to maximize that talent, and we've seen nothing to this point to indicate that will happen. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
10EC
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:14:31 EST »

Butch has been a very good recruiter since he has been here. 

But that success on the recruiting trail hasn't translated to on the field success yet.  They are bringing projected talent in, but not getting potential out of that talent at this point. 

That has to change.  The teams we are chasing in the SEC are recruiting well, too.  Got to find a way to maximize that talent, and we've seen nothing to this point to indicate that will happen. 

How many assistants will hit the road soon?
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:26:43 EST »

How many assistants will hit the road soon?

Travis Haney says possibly 4, which is pretty much what I have heard all along, as well:

http://247sports.com/Article/Inside-the-failing-of-Tennessee-Volunteers-football-under-Butch--49621786

And Larry Scott could leave to replace Willie Taggart at USF, too.  Scott has a lot of support in that area, and he did a good job as the interim at The U. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 07:21:47 EST »

Travis Haney says possibly 4, which is pretty much what I have heard all along, as well:

http://247sports.com/Article/Inside-the-failing-of-Tennessee-Volunteers-football-under-Butch--49621786

And Larry Scott could leave to replace Willie Taggart at USF, too.  Scott has a lot of support in that area, and he did a good job as the interim at The U. 

I would believe that Scott has earned the chance to return to the University of Shorts & Flipflops to coach.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 08:30:53 EST »

I would believe that Scott has earned the chance to return to the University of Shorts & Flipflops to coach.

Yep.  If memory serves, isn't that his alma mater?  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:51:15 EST by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 08:51:00 EST »

Looks like Scott is looking to move. 

Saw on the Twitter feed of a Florida sports type that Scott interviewed last night for the head coaching position at FAU and has indicated he is interested in the USF job.

I believe it is a pretty good bet at this point that he and Willie Martinez are 2 that will be moving on.   

Terry Fair, come home ................

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 09:00:07 EST »

Yep.  If memory serves, isn't that his alma mater?  
Yep

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:41 EST »

So...I keep hearing about the "best staff in America".  Again.  And again.  And again.

I think hearing that the first time, I accepted it for what it was....obvious hyperbole.  In other words, Butch was just pumping up his staff to show he supports them, not making a literal claim.  That was me...some of you apparently took it very literally.  Either way...

Wow!  People are still bringing that up, FOUR YEARS LATER!!!  Was it really that big a deal that folks are still butt hurt about it after all this time?  Let it go, man! Holy shizzle.   

And on the "Butch has recruited em, but won't develop em" line....that's a pretty broad statement, though it might be true this season.  Speaking only for myself, I was fine with the pace of development through the middle of this season.  Last season, did we lose to Florida and Oklahoma because our players did not develop, or due to "Butch being a bad gameday coach" and/or "making bad decisions".   I strongly favor the latter.  Let me add that the OU and UF losses last season did not bother me as much as they bothered most fans (they did bother me though, believe me), because I felt overall that our early dominance of both those teams in the respective games EXCEEDED my expectations.  That is, I was pleasantly surprised we did as well as we did through 3 quarters...I expected both games to be close the entire time.  The spread was even on the OU game and -2 on Florida so I guess most gamblers agreed with me, at least.

But anyway...what about Cam Sutton?  He came out of nowhere.  Barnett was highly rated but would anyone in his right mind suggest Barnett didn't exceed expectations?

The one area I would agree with  on player development with is at OL. Massive under performance IYAM.   So I would make that change on the staff for sure.

Final note...overall the way the team played the second half of this season did suggest under performance by talent.  But...it's hard to say how much of that is due to injuries.  I am concerned with how the team folded the second half of this season, injuries or no, but I am going to keep hoping it was mostly injuries.

Having said all that, here is my take on Butch....very good recruiter, has generally developed the talent (exception to the OL and until this season WRs), but game plan is often bad or awful and adjustments, while better this year in the first half of the season, take too long and/or don't happen at all.  I give Butch high  to passing marks on just about everything but game day coaching.  That definitely has to improve.

Just my $ 0.02

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: