VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 10:23:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It isn't just the East that's weak this year  (Read 1489 times)
Creek Walker
« on: September 15, 2015, 05:00:42 EDT »

The entire SEC looks questionable. Texas A&M and Alabama are the only two teams that have been impressive. Ole Miss has obviously brought it on offense thus far, but they've yet to be tested. Aside from that, the rest of the West looks very beatable. If I were picking right now, I'd have Texas A&M in the SECCG.

The East is, well, the East -- a sad shell of its former self. Georgia is the clear frontrunner at this point but it remains to be seen how their lack of a passing game hamstrings them when they face a defense that can stop the run, and they're going to face one of those defenses on October 10.

Frankly, Tennessee has been the most impressive team in the East thus far. I expect some flack from that, so go on and give it to me. But consider this: if Oklahoma doesn't score on fourth and goal in overtime, the dialogue is different right now. A single play covering one yard made the difference between everyone singing Tennessee's praises and everyone forecasting their demise. Don't get me wrong: given that I predicted Oklahoma to win, I was sitting there at one point in the third quarter realizing that I never imagined Tennessee would win and yet I'd feel less confident overall than I did going into the game. Oklahoma exposed our offensive weaknesses, regardless of the outcome. But, still, to be up 17-0 on Oklahoma, you have to be solid...even if a combination of terrible coaching and lack of depth spelled doom in the end. As for Bowling Green, everyone was giving this D flack a week ago, but Bowling Green proved Saturday that they're legit. Maryland is only so-so, but basically Tennessee beat a team by 29 points (and it could've been much worse) that went and beat a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team by 21 points. That isn't too shabby.

Everyone is saying Tennessee still has a shot to win the East, but why don't we take it a step further than that? Is there overwhelming evidence that the West's representative will win the SECCG this year? I'd submit that there isn't.

Don't think I'm predicting anything crazy. I'm not. There are lots -- and I mean LOTS -- of issues Tennessee has to sort out. I'm not convinced this team has the depth to win the East and, frankly, I'm not convinced they have the coaching to win the East. But one thing is for sure: there's a lot of football left to be played. Leaving Neyland on Saturday, I figured on selling my Florida tickets. I'd had enough...better things to do with my time. And if we go to Gainesville and lay an egg, I'll be right back in that same frame of mind. But, for now, I've set my disappointment aside and I'm ready to hit I-75 south next weekend. This team may crash and burn, but IMO it's way too soon to write the final script for this season.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:05:16 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:14:52 EDT »

IMO. LSU will be better than people expect. They went on the road and beat a decent Miss State team....winning on the road in the SEC isn't easy. Plus that was LSU's first game. They get decent QB play and they can win the West.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: