VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 09:34:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK, let's hear it......  (Read 8525 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2017, 11:44:16 EDT »

Is Gruden the one you want?

Would you rather have Gruden than Scott Frost or Matt Campbell?

Do you really want Petrino here?

I think Gruden is a very expensive gamble. If it doesn't work out, we're in the hole for a bundle. It's a gamble with Frost or Campbell but not as costly.

I don't want Petrino.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:59 EDT »

Petrino: Do not want.

We've already gambled on up and comers and lost. I'm ready to gamble on the big name hire this time.

Gruden: Do want.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:52:24 EDT »

If it could happen, Gruden. A truly different dynamic. Universally known in football. Hire a couple of coordinators. Let’s roll!
10EC
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 12:03:50 EDT »

If it could happen, Gruden. A truly different dynamic. Universally known in football. Hire a couple of coordinators. Let’s roll!

If we get Gruden I want Peyton as QB coach.  About as likely....
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 12:08:46 EDT »

If we get Gruden I want Peyton as QB coach.  About as likely....

I'm pretty sure there are zero iniders on this or any board. I don't rule out anything. The "IT" city is booming. Lesser states have gone as big. I like the fact he married an East TN girl. Never discount mama 👍
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 12:26:54 EDT »

I'm pretty sure there are zero iniders on this or any board. I don't rule out anything. The "IT" city is booming. Lesser states have gone as big. I like the fact he married an East TN girl. Never discount mama 👍
Hey!!  I know people, who know people, who know people ....

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:28:06 EDT »

Hey!!  I know people, who know people, who know people ....

I heard that about you. I heard it from my source. 
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 12:29:41 EDT »

I heard that about you. I heard it from my source.  
just speculation, of course, but the one speculating is a guy that's definitely in the know  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:43:47 EDT by FLVOL » Logged

11B4PJ3F7
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 12:34:01 EDT »

My personal preference would be,  in no particular order,  Patterson, Schiano,  Venables.   I would be fine with Petrino,  as a human being,  he is now a different man,  better in every respect.   However,  no-one outside of Louisville would know or believe that,  so a lot of heat comes with a Petrino hire.   But there is no better offensive mind--period.   Unless I hear it from Currie's mouth,  Gruden is a pipe dream,  and I don't know how well he would make the transition.   Still,  I can't see it as being anything but great for recruiting,  and it would be huge in terms of image,  and would be definitively make the statement that we are serious about getting back to being a top level program.  

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:38:06 EDT »

I'm back and forth.....Name like Gruden who all kids know and it would spike recruits from the get go....Verses a guy who has been successful in big time football. Last time Gruden was in college was 1989 at Pacific as the TE coach. Like said above that would be a huge money gamble. He'd need to hire top notch OC and DC.

I'd roll with Gruden but I just don't see why he'd want to do it. Chucky walking up to the podium would be epic on the surface....and more so if Peyton were sitting up there with him.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 01:06:34 EDT »

I'm still on the Patterson and Chip Kelly bandwagons. This season has caused me to reevaluate Petrino. He was top 3, but due to Louisville' s perfomance isn't now.

Mullen and Leach are my fallbacks, with Lovie Smith and Strong backing them up.

The Iowa St guy is intriguing.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 01:09:49 EDT »

As an aside, I don't think Gruden comes, and he's not at the top of my list. However, I think he'd be solid for three years before moving on if he took the gig.

I'm fine with that. Don't look for a 10 year coach. Get a guy who will kill it for 3-5.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 01:46:22 EDT »

I'd have reservations about Gruden- but I would with anybody.  There's really no such thing as a fool-proof coaching hire anymore.  I don't know if Gruden would be at the very top of my list (that would probably be Stoops- high floor, higher ceiling, safest hire out there), but I'd be very excited with a Gruden hire.  I think he'd kill it in recruiting- you could make the argument that the three most high-profile football figures who aren't currently playing or coaching are Gruden, Peyton, and John Madden.  So the name would sell itself.  And as for him not coaching for the past ten years- yeah, but it's not like he's been flipping burgers at In-n-Out either.  He's kept his head in the game, and he still has LOTS of contacts in the coaching community, so I'm sure he'd bring a great staff.

Alas, I still refuse to get my hopes up again.  When I see him on the sideline at the WVU game next year, that's when I'll believe it.  I think we'll end up with an up-and-comer. 

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 02:28:33 EDT »

South Carolina grad Mark Dantonio would get a call after my top three. He may be tired of playing second fiddle to Michigan.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 02:50:59 EDT »

Idk how I've let it happen to myself again but I'm all in on Gruden once again.  Same thing happened in 2012 and it was a huge letdown.  I don't think it's a pipe dream.  Not saying it's a "done deal" but I think we've got a good shot and I get absolutely giddy at the thought of Gruden.  For starters, the buzz it would create initially.  Heck 75% of OUR fan base thinks it's a pipe dream.. so you know about 98% of the rest of CFB laughs at the idea.. but they don't know the connections he has to our program and the ties he has to this area.  Next, granted he hasn't coached in awhile he's done nothing but study the game since then.  If Peyton has been as instrumental in this deal as has been suggested, I think I will defer to PM's judgement before I take everyone else's word that he wouldn't know what he's doing.  For the life of me I can't understand why anyone wouldn't be thrilled if it actually happened...

For me it's Gruden and I don't even have a 2nd choice.  I know I'm setting myself up for another letdown but ... yolo!   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 05:09:45 EDT »

Interesting read.  And relevant to the UT situation. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-espn-could-abandon-nfl-football-guest-column-1052792

Go Army - Beat Navy!
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 05:35:51 EDT »

And then there's this:

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2017/10/30/jon-gruden-returning-coaching-well-see-happens/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:42 EDT »

I've found it very interesting that for the past couple years, ESPN has been leading the media charge on the NFL's concussion issue.  I used to watch OTL every Sunday morning, and quit because that was their topic literally every single week.  And while it's certainly a topic that needs to be spotlighted, ESPN seemed to turn it into a Holy Crusade- like they were hellbent on hurting the league.  And I always wondered why they would want to damage a product that was so important to their bottom line.  Maybe this news sheds some light on that.  Maybe they were just poisoning the waters for whomever's left to cover the NFL after they pull out.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:44:52 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 12:47:14 EDT »

All you people just giddy and salivating at Jon Gruden coming here are going to be just as disillusioned as you were in 2012. It would cost too much to pay Gruden, his $1million coordinators and the the rest of the six figure staff. Unless the Haslams pony up the off-set a large part of this, it is a pipe dream that will leave you crying in your beer again.

Chip Kelly would have to be approved by SEC Commissioner after UT Chancellor and/or President requested it. If you think Bama will allow this to happen, you need to check your reality by confirming what color the sky in your world is.

All these big names being thrown around are nice. But most of you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 01:21:51 EDT »

All you people just giddy and salivating at Jon Gruden coming here are going to be just as disillusioned as you were in 2012. It would cost too much to pay Gruden, his $1million coordinators and the the rest of the six figure staff. Unless the Haslams pony up the off-set a large part of this, it is a pipe dream that will leave you crying in your beer again.

Chip Kelly would have to be approved by SEC Commissioner after UT Chancellor and/or President requested it. If you think Bama will allow this to happen, you need to check your reality by confirming what color the sky in your world is.

All these big names being thrown around are nice. But most of you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Yeah this sounds like 2012, too.   

Who you got in mind?
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 02:00:03 EDT »

This. There is nothing in Tennessee's football program history that leads me to believe any "big name" football coach will come to Knoxville.  Majors was the biggest, coming off a national championship at Pitt, but I think he may have had a little bit off a previous tie to the university.   Tennessee has great facilities but requires national recruiting ability, and that's not a common trait. Absent an existing relationship with the school or area, I'm just not sure what the attraction would be to an established coach.  It's not a matter of who we think would be great; it's a matter of who would come to Knoxville rather than going somewhere easier (and without bankrupting the AD).
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 02:56:52 EDT »

This. There is nothing in Tennessee's football program history that leads me to believe any "big name" football coach will come to Knoxville.  Majors was the biggest, coming off a national championship at Pitt, but I think he may have had a little bit off a previous tie to the university.   Tennessee has great facilities but requires national recruiting ability, and that's not a common trait. Absent an existing relationship with the school or area, I'm just not sure what the attraction would be to an established coach.  It's not a matter of who we think would be great; it's a matter of who would come to Knoxville rather than going somewhere easier (and without bankrupting the AD).

To be fair "we" haven't been through this a bunch at UT. More so recently than historically. Kiffin was a swing at the fence. Dooley was obviously a desperate scenario. Butch, too. Homeruns are rare but UT ought to be able to do whatever they choose. UK plays basketball in a 40 year old rented facility. I guess bama is up to scale with their football stadiums but one is surely city/state financed. My point? Let's cool it on the continual facility/museum/etc. upgrades and pay for some results! Anything is possible imo. The fact that the haslams own the Browns does NOT improve my outlook though. Simply horrific they are with that team!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 03:33:03 EDT »

well...let me go on record as saying I don't think he will come....but Gruden does have strong ties to Knoxville, as has been endlessly reported by his vast legions of fan boys.   

I'll say this...no matter how fit he is to the college game or how long he's been out of coaching, Gruden would inject instant excitement into the program and IMO would be able to recruit nationally.

Still don't see it happening, but not because he doesn't have ties to Knoxville, he definitely does.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 03:33:38 EDT »

Sounds like a great sales pitch to prospective coaches.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: