VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 06:59:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamers: less than two weeks to go...  (Read 4829 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2013, 03:11:31 EDT »

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/09/03/world-first-hands-on-with-grand-theft-auto-v

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:36:36 EDT »

I'll be getting it day one.  The preorder bonuses Ive seen haven't impressed me, though.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:18:37 EDT »

Okay, after reading this article I am pumped.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:35:04 EDT »

I preordered from Gamestop close to a year ago, and I don't even remember what the bonus is.

After a pretty weak crop of games last year, the final year for the PS3 and 360 is actually turning out really good.  Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, and Tomb Raider are already classics, and I'm sure GTA V will be as well. 

And I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment again, but I really like what I've seen of AC4.  However, I'm going to wait and get it for the next gen console. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:49:58 EDT »

I preordered from Gamestop close to a year ago, and I don't even remember what the bonus is.

After a pretty weak crop of games last year, the final year for the PS3 and 360 is actually turning out really good.  Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, and Tomb Raider are already classics, and I'm sure GTA V will be as well.  

And I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment again, but I really like what I've seen of AC4.  However, I'm going to wait and get it for the next gen console.  

I don't even know how far through AC3 I got.  I picked up Borderlands 2 to play online with a coworker and I never went back to AC3.. it was ok but just didn't keep my interest.  Batman: Arkham Origins is another one I'll probably ask to get at Christmastime.  I'm still so wrapped up Borderlands I haven't picked up Last of Us yet.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:11:23 EDT »

GTA IV still ranks as the best game of all time on my list. So I'm prepared to be blown away. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:13:32 EDT »

I'll probably wait until Spring to get a new console, but I definitely plan on getting AC4 and Watchdogs with it.  If I end up getting an XB1, I'm going to want Forza and Titanfall as well.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:25:02 EDT »

GTA IV still ranks as the best game of all time on my list. So I'm prepared to be blown away.  

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I was slightly disappointed with GTA4.  Don't get me wrong- I played the hell out of it.  But after seeing GTA San Andreas, with its three big cities, dozens of small towns, and miles of countryside to explore, I was a little letdown that GTA 4's world was less varied.  FWIW, San Andreas is still my favorite game ever, even though it's a previous-gen title.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:28:54 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:02:45 EDT »

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I was slightly disappointed with GTA4.  Don't get me wrong- I played the hell out of it.  But after seeing GTA San Andreas, with its three big cities, dozens of small towns, and miles of countryside to explore, I was a little letdown that GTA 4's world was less varied.  FWIW, San Andreas is still my favorite game ever, even though it's a previous-gen title.  

Same here.  I played it a lot, but it never "grabbed" me like the PS2 titles did.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 09:57:12 EDT »

So now that this generation is coming to an end, what would you guys say are your top 5 titles for PS3/XB360?  Here are mine (keeping in mind that I haven't played any of the Naughtydog PS3 exclusives, which I hear are excellent):

5.  Portal 2: It's a puzzler and a shooter in one, and it's the funniest game ever made.  I found myself wanting to advance in the game just to hear what kind of smartass remark Glados or Wheatly would come out with next. 

4.  Assassin's Creed 2:  Contained within the AC series is every element to make the greatest game ever.  Unfortunately, they've yet to include them all in one title.  2 comes the closest.

3.  Bioshock: Who says a FPS can't also tell a story?  This is the greatest story ever told in gaming.

2.  Skyrim:  To me, Skyrim is to gaming what the LOTR films are to cinema: Maybe not my favorite game ever, but easily the greatest achievement in gaming to date.  It looks fantastic, there are hundreds if not thousands of hours of content, and the world is enormous.  Truly a game that you can lose yourself in for hours at a time.

1.  Red Dead Redemption:  This game just has it all.  Great graphics, great story, big world, great voice acting, great gameplay.  All the other games I bought around the time RDR came out have long since been traded in- but this one still sits on my shelf, even though I've completed 100% and every achievement.  I just like to go back and visit that world every once in a while. 

Honorable Mention:  Alan Wake.  This game came out on the same day as RDR, so it kind of got lost in the shuffle.  But I think if there is one franchise that can pick up the survival horror torch that Resident Evil has dropped and resurrect the genre, this is it.  This game was scary as hell, and I eagerly await the sequel.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 10:42:46 EDT »

I don't play enough games to have a top five list, but I'll say that RDR showed the ingeniousness and capability of Rockstar. I love sandbox-style games, and RDR took it to an entirely different level.

I still wish Rockstar would make an open-world deer hunting game that involves real strategy. I'd pay really, really good money for that. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:53 EDT »

Here's mine:

6. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - This one was just a fun, fast paced arcade style racing game that featured a lot of off road environments.  The tracks and landscapes are gorgeous and this one always kept me on the edge of my seat.  Online multiplayer was hard as crap, so I stuck to mostly campaign play.  Still very fun.

5. RDR - Agree with all you guys have said about this game.  Loved the sandbox style in an old western setting.  Just fascinating and lots of fun to play with buddies online.

4. Grand Theft Auto IV - This was the only PS3 game I had for the first little while as I remember buying it when I bought my PS3.  Again, it never sucked me in like the PS2 GTA games did but nevertheless.. this was my first PS3 experience and that makes it special for me.

3. Uncharted 2 & 3 - as BDV said, these games are legendary.  3 has a few more bells and whistles than 2, but I enjoyed them equally.  The stories are fantastic and the game is just all out fun.  I never got the hang of online multiplayer, but campaign was more than enough to keep me going.

2. AC2 - I've enjoyed all the AC games so far, but this is the one that captivated me the most.  The story, the setting, it was all just perfect.

1. Borderlands 2 - bought this game on a whim so that a coworker would shut up about it because he wanted a buddy to play online with.  I've since been absolutely hooked.  I just can't imagine ever getting tired of this game.  It's got a dash of MMORPG (which I've traditionally never been very interested in) but it utilizes this feature in a way that makes it fun for me.  The ranking system and sheer number of weapons just keeps me drooling for more.  Plus, it's the type of game you can pick up and kill 30 minutes if you don't have hours to devote to a gaming session.  I'll just put it this way, this game is coming up on it's 1 year birthday and Gearbox Software is STILL cranking out DLC with more to come this fall.  I told my coworker that I can't believe I've been missing out on this game for this long.  All this game offers seriously makes me feel robbed when I think of what little other major titles have to offer in terms of number of worlds, storyline writing, and just bang for the buck.  I've also never laughed out loud like I have playing this game.  Hilarious writing.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:46 EDT »

6. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - This one was just a fun, fast paced arcade style racing game that featured a lot of off road environments.  The tracks and landscapes are gorgeous and this one always kept me on the edge of my seat.  Online multiplayer was hard as crap, so I stuck to mostly campaign play.  Still very fun.

Online was only hard for you because you were racing against me.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 12:21:20 EDT »

Online was only hard for you because you were racing against me.

Whatever!

Fine, I admit you're better at racing games than me. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: