VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 08:54:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well one cheater is busted  (Read 4795 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2015, 01:01:22 EST »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12432471/ncaa-suspends-jim-boeheim-nine-games-cuts-syracuse-orange-schoarlships

So there is hope   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:05:40 EST »

Wow- they're so pissed at UK that they nailed Syracuse.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:50:17 EST »

Might be good news for us.....IMO CDT will get a 5 game or so suspension.
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:21:57 EST »

Some coaches (or multiple coaches) can have ongoing rampant academic fraud for years on end and not get the punishment that some get for having a cook-out.  These schools also covered up the fraud, so please don’t say that lying about an infraction gets you into additional trouble.  The ridiculousness of the ncaa is stunning.   

I hope the ncaa adds to the 9 game suspension for Boeheim if he does appeal the decision - the pos should have been fired. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:50:24 EDT »

Some coaches (or multiple coaches) can have ongoing rampant academic fraud for years on end and not get the punishment that some get for having a cook-out.  These schools also covered up the fraud, so please don’t say that lying about an infraction gets you into additional trouble.  The ridiculousness of the ncaa is stunning.   

I hope the ncaa adds to the 9 game suspension for Boeheim if he does appeal the decision - the pos should have been fired. 

Yep, the NCAA is very inconsistent.  The big problem they have IMO is that they can't subpoena anyone.  NCAA rules are not laws, so to some extent compliance depends on how cooperative the institution is.  In the case of Bruce, our institution was way too compliant, IMO.   

Having said that, in cases where the school is seen as attempting to stonewall or aid and abet the cheating at an institutional level, the NCAA usually comes down hard. I think Bruce was part of that logic, although "logic" is hardly an appropriate term.   

In other words, right or wrong, the NCAA will almost always nail someone for being dishonest precisely because they have to have some level of cooperation from the school to build a case.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 09:01:20 EDT »

Wow- they're so pissed at UK that they nailed Syracuse.

Well Crapulari just took a shot at the NCAA, FWIW

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/10763702/is-john-calipari-right-ncaa

I could see where he felt hounded by the "KGB", I really can.  But where there is smoke....

Maybe this will piss them off and he will pay for it?     Unlikely, but hey I can dream. 

Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:43:19 EDT »

I watched some of the cheater Boeheim's press conference, and he's throwing everything against the wall to try and deflect criticism.  He just made up a scenario that "some" may say that they shouldn't admit "at risk" student-athletes (which no one actually said) and that that is racists.  No one actually said that there shouldn't be at risk student-athletes, but it gave him a chance to say "racists".  He also pointed to the school's graduation rate - um, I think academic fraud helps that out.  He admitted that he tells his athletes to ask for grade changes to stay eligible, and that they should ask their instructors to change their grades.  Then he said that the doesn't get involved in the player's academics.  He said that he was told to let players that were ineligible to practice and so he did.  Really?  He's in charge of the basketball program, and he lets someone, anyone, tell him who should practice?  He is real POS  , and I'm glad he got caught.  When he retires, the game will be better for it.  I hope they increase his suspension.

And listening to Dick Vitale defending him by saying that he knew absolutely nothing about what when on with the payments and the academic fraud is total crap.  His bottom line is, a coach is responsible, but he's not really responsible.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:52:08 EDT by Be-the-Vol » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:02:52 EDT »

The more Boeheim talked, the more he diminished his already tarnished legacy. I don't know if he thought he was doing himself some good, but I'm pretty sure none of that went over well outside the Syracuse fan base.

As for Vitale, that didn't surprise me a bit. When his mug appeared on camera, I knew exactly what he was going to do, and he didn't let me down. Vitale has no business being an "unaffiliated observer" of college basketball.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 06:44:36 EDT »

IMO Boeheim has always cheated and hid behind his assistants to take the fall. This time he got caught along with the AD. If he was not Boeheim and a NCAA revered coach, he would have gotten a show cause. When you get caught, it is proven, and you still claim innocence, you show your true character and what a low-life cheater you really are.  Save your crocodile tears for the Cuse faithful because they are the only ones that believe you. Your legacy is that you are a cheater and used illegal players that should not have been in school to win your hollow victories. If you had any integrity, you would have resigned.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 12:03:53 EDT »

Boeheim and Calhoun, along with lot's of others, UT is not innocent either , never let academics get in the way of their basketball/sports teams. Of course lots of fans have the attitude that "He's a winner" so who gives a crap. Most fans talk about lack of  integrity about our opponents, yet quick to dismiss our own schools transgressions. If Calipari had come to UT instead of Ky and he had the same type run here, would you really care and still savor the victories. Yet he is the anti-christ at KY. Sad truth is winning trumps a lot of bad stuff. We still have the perception of being just another SEC cheating school as well. It's an SEC thing I guess.

volsboyinsodak
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 02:07:21 EDT »

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't want a winner if it takes cheating to do it. There are folks who believe in the "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying" mentality, but I think that many do not.

As for Cal, he can be judged by his past actions. Same for Calhoun and Boeheim.

As a UT fan, I want integrity in coaching. Its the main reason I was in complete agreement with the decision to let Bruce go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: