VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 11:37:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The problem with the OL  (Read 4992 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2015, 02:58:32 EDT »

2012 Class: ZERO OL!! (Dooley class)
2013 Class: Kendrick: Not SEC material, not highly recruited
                  Sanders: 4 star bust: Not SEC material
                  Wiesman: Not SEC material, not highly recruited
2014 Class: Blair: High rated Bust
                  Raulerson: Not SEC material, not highly recruited
                  Thomas: Looks like he will turn out to be a good center, but has had to move around too much
                  Mosley: has been hurt, could develop into a good OG
                  Robertson: recruited as a DT, developing into a SEC level OG

Three classes, 8 OL, 2 guys who are worth a shizzle, and 1 who might be.  The problem has been busts and guys who we took as projects that are not panning out, and we have 1 upperclassman worth a crap (Kerbyson). This is why guys like Jones and Hall have to play this year (they have potential but would have been ideally redshirted).

Next year's line is likely this: Thomas, Robertson, Richmond, Hall, Jones. That's still a very young OL. But.. it has more talent.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:02:58 EDT »

2012 Class: ZERO OL!! (Dooley class)
2013 Class: Kendrick: Not SEC material, not highly recruited
                  Sanders: 4 star bust: Not SEC material
                  Wiesman: Not SEC material, not highly recruited
2014 Class: Blair: High rated Bust
                  Raulerson: Not SEC material, not highly recruited
                  Thomas: Looks like he will turn out to be a good center, but has had to move around too much
                  Mosley: has been hurt, could develop into a good OG
                  Robertson: recruited as a DT, developing into a SEC level OG

Three classes, 8 OL, 2 guys who are worth a shizzle, and 1 who might be.  The problem has been busts and guys who we took as projects that are not panning out, and we have 1 upperclassman worth a crap (Kerbyson). This is why guys like Jones and Hall have to play this year (they have potential but would have been ideally redshirted).

Next year's line is likely this: Thomas, Robertson, Richmond, Hall, Jones. That's still a very young OL. But.. it has more talent.

It continues to be an area of concern.  I hope the young guys start playing we lose two seniors this year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:05:27 EDT »

It continues to be an area of concern.  I hope the young guys start playing we lose two seniors this year.

One of them is Crowder. Addition by subtraction.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:35:17 EDT »

One of them is Crowder. Addition by subtraction.

It blows my mind that he still sees the field. He isn't close to physically holding his own in an actual football game. Get Jack Jones in there at guard if you want to rotate.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:41:08 EDT »

It blows my mind that he still sees the field. He isn't close to physically holding his own in an actual football game. Get Jack Jones in there at guard if you want to rotate.

I think the staff is playing scared and afraid to play the freshmen much. Hubbs just stated that Kendrick is hurt this week, and they will likely move Thomas over there, and get more snaps to Wiesman and Crowder. We'd rather put in NAIA level OL than put freshmen with more talent out there, as well as play guys out of position. Get Hall and Jones in the game. Mosley as well. These guys are far more talented, and the future of the OL.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:53:27 EDT »

I think the staff is playing scared and afraid to play the freshmen much. Hubbs just stated that Kendrick is hurt this week, and they will likely move Thomas over there, and get more snaps to Wiesman and Crowder. We'd rather put in NAIA level OL than put freshmen with more talent out there, as well as play guys out of position. Get Hall and Jones in the game. Mosley as well. These guys are far more talented, and the future of the OL.

If we play Crowder and Wiesman at C and G we are going to get destroyed up the middle. It will be a shizzleshow.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:58:28 EDT »

This is why we don't run much up the middle, or really try any type of play action pass. Did I mention I hate Dooley? He should be flogged for signing ZERO OL in the 2012 class

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 04:24:56 EDT »

Wiesman is questionable for Saturday as well as Kendrick, per Butch. Should be interesting if neither can go.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 04:32:30 EDT »

Wiesman is questionable for Saturday as well as Kendrick, per Butch. Should be interesting if neither can go.

Give me Mosley/Jones and Hall and leave Thomas at center. That young group will make mistakes but come on-- we've seen the videos of Crowder out there. He makes rookie mistakes AND is physically inferior. At least the young guys have a chance of putting a defender on his ass.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 04:46:12 EDT »

Give me Mosley/Jones and Hall and leave Thomas at center. That young group will make mistakes but come on-- we've seen the videos of Crowder out there. He makes rookie mistakes AND is physically inferior. At least the young guys have a chance of putting a defender on his ass.

They might go max protect against UGA. They run a 3-4 base, their OLBs are edge rushers, and our OTs will have issues. This is the perfect game for Dobbs to keep the ball 15-20 times in the spread option. It would be a BAD game to try slow developing pass plays. we might as well pull in the TE and go max protect, we don't use the TE enough downfield anyway

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 04:48:37 EDT »

I agree about the young OL nut, and I like your idea for a game plan.  We do throw downfield to Wolf.  would like to see more of that.  Ellis I think is a good blocker.  He'd better be, cause he can't catch shizzle. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 02:49:56 EDT »

Give me Mosley/Jones and Hall

Jones and Hall baby.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 03:12:47 EDT »

Jones and Hall baby.
they played well.  Not perfect by any ,sans but they out played the left side of the line while both were in the game.

Frankly, didn't' notice much, if any, difference in play calls. 
Dobbs' go ahead TD was a direct result of their play

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: