VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 11:37:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, is anyone willing to consider Gruden might actually happen?  (Read 4797 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:36:14 EDT »

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/grumor-alert-jon-gruden-now-betting-favorite-tennessees-next-head-coach/

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 05:49:07 EDT »

Per TOS

What do you make of the Gruden betting odds?

Originally Posted by*:
It's certainly interesting and getting the attention of plenty of us tonight. We haven't seen anything like this in the the previous Gruden rumor cycles

- Hubbs
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:22:14 EDT »

I'll wait until a UT official makes the announcement before I get giddy. The trolls have been out in full force for 2 weeks now. I don't think you offer a coach when you have a coach....Auburn found that out with the Petrino cluster while Tubberville was at Auburn.. Gruden and Butch are pretty close and I see no way anything is being done unless Butch is ok with it which I doubt. I find it funny that all these 'Insiders' come out during coaching searches but not one 'Insider' could tell us who the starting QB was going to be 3 days before the first game.

This betting thing the way I've been told is a offshore site and there's not that much money involved.....A small amount of money can swing it pretty heavy one way or so I was told. Most of the money is UT fan money I'm sure.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:38:33 EDT »

First: The hiring of Gruden would be a big event and invigorate the Vol fan base and maybe the high school players being recruited.

But, second: Gruden has never had to be responsible for serious recruiting. Can he do it? Will he be good at recruiting? Is he really interested? See Spurrier: University of Florida and University of South Carolina.

Third: He has never been the head coach at the college level. 

Finally:  Can he relate to the college player?  Does he have the disposition to deal with the college player as a head coach?

Part of me says that it would be a big boost to UT to hire Gruden. But the other part of me says: See Harbaugh, University of Michigan. Yes, his hiring made a big splash. But have they advanced since then? 

So, what do I think? What the hell. Hire him and let's see what happens. This will be interesting at least for a while.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:55:05 EDT »

I think the staff he'd build around him would be important relative to his inexperience at the collegiate level. 

Absolute home run I say.  I'm giddy, but trying not to get too excited.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:45:32 EDT »

Not saying that it is going to happen, but only that it is a lot more of a legit possibility than it was when Butch was hired.  The circumstances are totally different this time around. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 03:14:14 EDT »

Gruden would be an improvement over our current situation. I think he'd do well for three years, and then burn out, which I'm o.k. with. I don't know he's better than Lovie Smith, who we could get much cheaper. Mike Leach and Dan Mullen are much more proven too in college, and neither is at the top of my list.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 03:18:24 EDT »

As for whether he comes, here's my take. I think he's genuinely intrigued, and that's good regardless of whether he takes it. It allows Currie to go to Chip Kelly,  Gary Patterson, and Bobby Petrino, and get a more accurate gauge of their interest.

If they really want the gig, they make a strong pitch for the job through their agents.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 10:08:36 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 03:37:09 EDT »

I'm still pessimistic about it, I just don't see it happening yet. With that said, if he did come, I would think that UT would be able to got toe-to-toe with Bama in the recruiting circles at least for 2 years, and that would be a breath of fresh air

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 04:56:08 EDT »

I seriously doubt it.

If he does come though, IMO recruiting won't be a problem.  SOS was cited above, but he's hardly a "warm and fuzzy" type.  Gruden, on the other hand, is a natural in any living room.  Is there anyone who wouldn't want to have a beer with him?

I don't see it happening, but if it does, he will be a lights-out recruiter.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 06:01:32 EDT »

My thoughts. There is as much a chance that Gruden is hired as I have of getting a date with Gwen Stefani. None. I cannot get excited until Currie calls the press conference and he is introduced.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 06:39:47 EDT »

My thoughts. There is as much a chance that Gruden is hired as I have of getting a date with Gwen Stefani. None. I cannot get excited until Currie calls the press conference and he is introduced.

We shall see.   
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 07:05:39 EDT »

Gruden's last college job was the TE coach at Pacific in 1989......Before that he was at Southeast Missouri State for the 1988 season and in 1986-87 he was a GA at Tennessee. So it's been 28 years since he was a college coach at Pacific. He last coached in the NFL in 2008.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 11:16:25 EDT »

I don't think that there is any doubt that Gruden contacted coaches in 2012 about possibly joining him on staff here. How close it actually came to happening, or how serious he actually was, is anyone's guess, imo.

That fact does indicate, however, that there may have been at least some interest on his end. For that reason ,I think that there is at least a chance that JG could end up as the next head coach here. I would have to have better than 2.5 to 1 odds to bet on it, but I think it's a possibility.

Would be be a good college head coach? I think that I'd like to find out. I do believe that it would mostly depend on the quality of the staff that he was able to assemble here.

At this point, I'm ready for almost anyone who isn't named Butch Jones.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 11:26:14 EDT »

I don't think that there is any doubt that Gruden contacted coaches in 2012 about possibly joining him on staff here. How close it actually came to happening, or how serious he actually was, is anyone's guess, imo.

That fact does indicate, however, that there may have been at least some interest on his end. For that reason ,I think that there is at least a chance that JG could end up as the next head coach here. I would have to have better than 2.5 to 1 odds to bet on it, but I think it's a possibility.

Would be be a good college head coach? I think that I'd like to find out. I do believe that it would mostly depend on the quality of the staff that he was able to assemble here.

At this point, I'm ready for almost anyone who isn't named Butch Jones.

Yeah Idk if we'll ever know how close it really came to happening in 2012.  But there more than a few reasons the timing seems better for it to happen for real this time.

A few off the top of my head based on following this subject on other boards: better roster now than in 2012 (thanks to Butch), ESPN's financial struggles and speculation they may want to renegotiate Gruden's contract soon or even lose MNF entirely, UTAD in better financial shape now....
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 11:32:25 EDT »

Yeah Idk if we'll ever know how close it really came to happening in 2012.  But there more than a few reasons the timing seems better for it to happen for real this time.

A few off the top of my head based on following this subject on other boards: better roster now than in 2012 (thanks to Butch), ESPN's financial struggles and speculation they may want to renegotiate Gruden's contract soon or even lose MNF entirely, UTAD in better financial shape now....

All true. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: