VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 04:30:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Mathews Big Orange Sunday Highlights  (Read 4854 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2018, 06:53:48 EDT »

C&P from TOS

With some paraphrasing:

"We didn't look very well coached last night."

"We didn't look anywhere near a disciplined football team."

"In many ways you could argue this game was very reminiscent of what we've seen the last couple of years. We played sloppy. We missed tackles...We got physically whipped on both sides of the line of scrimmage."

BUT

"I know where this program is. I know why we are where we are. I think I know where this program is headed. If this staff is truly the staff I believe they are (I've watched them coach), this is a very good coaching staff from a teaching perspective."

"Not knowing who to block was a problem."

"Back screen pass was not a good call."

"Florida did not 'win' the game. Tennessee 'lost' the game."

"Onside kick was a bad decision."

"Players did not fight for onside kick like they should have."

"16 of first 23 Florida points were because of bad TN football - some of that mistakes made by the sideline. By the end of the half - 3 lost fumbles, an interception, and a safety."

"Game was over after first TD of second half."

Doug calls these "lessons learned":

Lesson 1: "Onside kick strictly head coach decision. Should not have been called. Cost us field position."

Lesson 2: "Why are defensive backs returning kickoffs? We have 4 good RBs that are used to handling the ball."

Lesson 3: "Pruitt got 15 yard penalty and that's hard to do. Don't know last time that happened. Got to straighten that out."

Lesson 4: "Must get pass protection fixed. Didn't block the right people. That's coaching."

Lesson 5: "Back screen to a back, 3rd and long, not a good call. Run a draw and punt."

Lesson 6: "4th down play. Keep it. It works. (Pope play)"

Lesson 7: "Should have learned last week to protect ball around goal line. 2 weeks in a row we have lost a TD."

Lesson 8: "Coming off goal line, last person to run should be Jordan. Not because he's not a good runner, but he tends to bounce the ball outside. You have to stay inside."

Lesson 9: "Puzzling that there was no misdirection plays. No reverse. No counter. You have to have misdirection in your offense."

Lesson 10: "Did not get QB outside the pocket. JG is tough tough kid. If we don't fix pass protection, we don't have enough QBs on team to play. We were 23.5 minutes into games before first deep pass."
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:35:18 EDT »

Agree about the OL not playing well together.  In the pregame last night, the ESPN talking heads mentioned that Trey Smith had only been to 8 practices prior to season's start, including most of Spring.  As good as he is, they do still all have to work together.  Also losing the Center early against WVU was a disaster.

Still looking for OL to improve over the season.  Know it's not saying much, but just getting them on same page will help a bunch.

Agree about the onside kick.  Was premature.  It didi almost work, but wasn't necessary yet.  Thought the kids did fight hard though, don't know where he got that.

Still looking for and expecting to see significant improvement in November. I guess we will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 01:14:29 EDT »

I thought the onside kick reeked of desperation. It reminded me of when Butch Jones brought his Cincinnati team to Neyland Stadium and tried every trick in the book against Derek Dooley. He knew he was outmatched and was just trying to steal something. Brooks executed that kick to perfection, but the coverage team's reaction was just like this UT team overall: SOFT! Four guys let one Florida guy go up in the air and come down with it. There's no way Florida should've recovered that kick.

It was 14-3 at the time, in the second quarter. There was no need to try it. I like aggression, but there are times to pull the trigger and times to be patient. Florida could've easily marched that ball down and made it 21-3 because of the good field position. They didn't, but they were able to pin it at the 2, which led to the safety and one busted play later it's 23-3. If you are needing to make something happen, statistics say we would've had a better chance of converting the 4th-and-2 inside the 15 when we kicked the FG than trying the onside kick.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 01:48:29 EDT »

I thought the onside kick reeked of desperation. It reminded me of when Butch Jones brought his Cincinnati team to Neyland Stadium and tried every trick in the book against Derek Dooley. He knew he was outmatched and was just trying to steal something. Brooks executed that kick to perfection, but the coverage team's reaction was just like this UT team overall: SOFT! Four guys let one Florida guy go up in the air and come down with it. There's no way Florida should've recovered that kick.

It was 14-3 at the time, in the second quarter. There was no need to try it. I like aggression, but there are times to pull the trigger and times to be patient. Florida could've easily marched that ball down and made it 21-3 because of the good field position. They didn't, but they were able to pin it at the 2, which led to the safety and one busted play later it's 23-3. If you are needing to make something happen, statistics say we would've had a better chance of converting the 4th-and-2 inside the 15 when we kicked the FG than trying the onside kick.

That's what got me....you try a low % OSK but you didn't go for it on 4-2? Still if our non football smart players had knocked the living hell out of the FL player we would have gotten the ball. Only UT could have screwed that up like we did.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 02:02:17 EDT »

The onside kick was an act that did indeed reek of desperation and I didn't like it, though again, it almost worked. Still way premature.

What I saw on the replay was the Florida guy go up and make a great play, and there wasn't much our players could do about.  They did hit him and he held on.  Maybe if they hit him harder he drops it, IDK, but I watched it on super slo mo replay and the gator was, unfortunately just in the right position and made a player.  IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 02:36:46 EDT »

The onside kick was an act that did indeed reek of desperation and I didn't like it, though again, it almost worked. Still way premature.

What I saw on the replay was the Florida guy go up and make a great play, and there wasn't much our players could do about.  They did hit him and he held on.  Maybe if they hit him harder he drops it, IDK, but I watched it on super slo mo replay and the gator was, unfortunately just in the right position and made a player.  IMO.

I don't know about that. He had to go up high to get that ball. Someone should've knocked the ever-loving crap out of him while he was stretched out. See if he hangs on to it. Odds are he doesn't. When that ball came off the tee I thought we had it. I won't say our guys stood and watched...but it almost seemed like it. It was almost like the whole thing was playing out in slow motion, sorta like when Chryst fumbled the snap. I'm sure the OL didn't see it because it was at the back of their feet but it was like everyone was playing in slow motion. I just see a bunch of guys who are thinking instead of reaction, then on top of it they seem to be playing without a lot of fire in their belly. That happens with culture changes but this seems to be extreme.

This is going to be a very ugly and embarrassing season. I just hope JP can hold the recruiting class together.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 02:47:30 EDT »

This is going to be a very ugly and embarrassing season. I just hope JP can hold the recruiting class together.

He certainly has immediate playing time to sell linemen on both sides of the ball.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:12:19 EDT »

He certainly has immediate playing time to sell linemen on both sides of the ball.

Got to add a SEC quality QB too.....We don't have one.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 06:18:46 EDT »

Got to add a SEC quality QB too.....We don't have one.

I disagree. JG is far from perfect, but he's come a long way. Give him another year to grow in this system and I think he could be a very good SEC quarterback. Most of what went wrong against UF wasn't his fault. He's basically playing with his life on the line every single snap. Helton needs to start tweaking the offense to maximize JG's strengths more.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 02:25:34 EDT »

I disagree. JG is far from perfect, but he's come a long way. Give him another year to grow in this system and I think he could be a very good SEC quarterback. Most of what went wrong against UF wasn't his fault. He's basically playing with his life on the line every single snap. Helton needs to start tweaking the offense to maximize JG's strengths more.
I agree that Helton needs to change the offense for JG's talents and life I think 2 of the turnovers were directly on JG, in particular the interception on the attempted screen pass.  Yes, the RB ran a poor route but he ether eats the ball or better throws it at their feet.  The long pick shouldn't have been thrown but I understand why he threw it

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 06:23:00 EDT »

I don't know about that. He had to go up high to get that ball. Someone should've knocked the ever-loving crap out of him while he was stretched out. See if he hangs on to it. Odds are he doesn't.

It didn't look to me like they got there in time to hit him, or they thought they still had a chance to catch it themselves.  And by the time they did hit him he had a firm grip.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 06:28:08 EDT »

I agree that Helton needs to change the offense for JG's talents and life I think 2 of the turnovers were directly on JG, in particular the interception on the attempted screen pass.  Yes, the RB ran a poor route but he ether eats the ball or better throws it at their feet.  The long pick shouldn't have been thrown but I understand why he threw it

Fumble wasn't on JG.  First int, definitely.  Second also, but as you point out act of desperation.

I agree with CW.  JG may not be the best QB in the SEC or have the potential to be, but he can be a solid SEC QB IMO.  He has shown potential at times and is absolutely tough.  Just wish he had an OL.....

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 02:21:35 EDT »

Pirate's referring to the intercepted screen pass on the second possession. That was probably the biggest mistake JG has made all season. Florida's left tackle read it and dropped back in coverage, and JG never saw him. The second INT I can live with. He was just trying to make a play.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 04:40:40 EDT »

If this line can't pass protect, they then need to move the pocket - especially over the next 3 games.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 07:20:37 EDT »

If this line can't pass protect, they then need to move the pocket - especially over the next 3 games.

It's what everyone is saying...let's see if Helton gets it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: