VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 03:43:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How should we approach the Gators?  (Read 2936 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:01:18 EDT »

Trask is a 6'5 240 lb pocket passer, but he isn't a statue. He isn't going to beat us with his legs though. Gator running game isn't strong, OL is a ? and they are missing playmaker Toney.

I think they will come out and try to throw the ball around. Trask looked like he had a good arm vs UK. Better passer than Franks.

Defensively secondary has to keep getting better and we need a pass rush on Trask. Send some extra guys if needed. Confuse him. I don't want to see plain vanilla zone defenses.

Offensively Gators will be tough to run on. We don't have a power back, and Gators are tough to run wide on. We need to pass more on 1st down. I think our receivers and TEs can get open. OL need to keep getting better.

I think we have a shot in this game - will come down to 4th qtr. I see a gators win, unfortunately, about 27-20
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:08:49 EDT »

Everywhere I go today, people are wanting to talk about how much Florida is going to win by. I just don't see it. We still aren't a great team, by any means, but this Florida team is overrated. I said it prior to the season and obviously now they've been exposed by Kentucky. UK controlled the line of scrimmage in stretches of that game Saturday night. This Florida offense is not good...in fact, of just about any SEC team on our schedule with the exception of Vandy and maybe Kentucky, I'd choose Florida for our untested defense to have to face in the conference opener. Obviously we're all aware of our program's history against Florida's backup QBs, but we gotta stop acting snakebitten and go take care of business at some point. I do agree that we have to put some pressure on Trask, and I think Pruitt will do that...if Pruitt is going to err, it's going to be on the side of aggression. Florida's receivers are way more capable of beating our DBs in man coverage than any team we've faced thus far, but I still think Pruitt will blitz often, and I don't think Florida's OL is any better (if they're even as good) as BYU's OL.

I don't think Tennessee will win, but I expect a close game IF Guarantano doesn't lose his mind and turn the ball over multiple times. If it turns into a TO fest like last year's game, it's going to get out of control in a hurry.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:19:28 EDT »

I expect JG to throw at least 2 picks

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 12:31:54 EDT »

Right now KY's OL is quite a bit better than ours. Our OL better grow up quick this week.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:08:15 EDT »

Right now KY's OL is quite a bit better than ours. Our OL better grow up quick this week.

KY had some ripped dudes on defense too. I don't like them, but they aren't a guaranteed win anymore. Nobody is. I feel sorry for JG if things don't change very quickly, and that means his performance too. I'm not even watching. Seen the script too many times.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 06:08:52 EDT »

As I say elsewhere, we can't turn the ball over 6 times like we did last week.  Chattanooga or no, we at least got some turnovers go our way for a change, maybe that can continue.  Their relatively untested backup QB might just throw a pick or two, and if we actually take care of the ball this year we can stay close.  Last year's game was misleading.  Spot any team 6 turnovers and they will likely rout you, or at any rate any SEC team. I am also on record as saying last years Florida team greatly overachieved and that I don't think they can even match their record from a year ago, particularly with the huge rebuild on their OL. 

Having said all that, I still don't have a great deal of confidence we will beat them.  But I know can, and maybe we will.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 02:57:30 EDT »

I say we just run right at them.. Fla has a great pass rush from the outside and they will be bringing the house early and often.. Use their aggression and speed against them,try to pound the rock,wear them down.
Draw plays,screen plays,misdirection,shovel passes.. Anything to negate their speed on defense.
Then play action to Caloway or JJ when they load the box.
As long as the score is close try to pound the rock all day,shorten the game and hopefully wear them down by the 4th quarter and some big plays might open up.
Can't afford any turn overs and hopefully get at least one from them..
I like our chances.. Go Vols!!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:59:07 EDT by crockettman » Logged
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 04:15:19 EDT »

I say we just run right at them.. Fla has a great pass rush from the outside and they will be bringing the house early and often.. Use their aggression and speed against them,try to pound the rock,wear them down.
Draw plays,screen plays,misdirection,shovel passes.. Anything to negate their speed on defense.
Then play action to Caloway or JJ when they load the box.
As long as the score is close try to pound the rock all day,shorten the game and hopefully wear them down by the 4th quarter and some big plays might open up.
Can't afford any turn overs and hopefully get at least one from them..
I like our chances.. Go Vols!!
practice observations indicate an emphasis on getting outside such as jet sweeps stretch plays (think BYU) erc

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 04:31:47 EDT »

Hope we don't have too many kids making their fist airplane flights.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 07:49:49 EDT »

Everywhere I go today, people are wanting to talk about how much Florida is going to win by. I just don't see it. We still aren't a great team, by any means, but this Florida team is overrated. I said it prior to the season and obviously now they've been exposed by Kentucky. UK controlled the line of scrimmage in stretches of that game Saturday night. This Florida offense is not good...in fact, of just about any SEC team on our schedule with the exception of Vandy and maybe Kentucky, I'd choose Florida for our untested defense to have to face in the conference opener. Obviously we're all aware of our program's history against Florida's backup QBs, but we gotta stop acting snakebitten and go take care of business at some point. I do agree that we have to put some pressure on Trask, and I think Pruitt will do that...if Pruitt is going to err, it's going to be on the side of aggression. Florida's receivers are way more capable of beating our DBs in man coverage than any team we've faced thus far, but I still think Pruitt will blitz often, and I don't think Florida's OL is any better (if they're even as good) as BYU's OL.

I don't think Tennessee will win, but I expect a close game IF Guarantano doesn't lose his mind and turn the ball over multiple times. If it turns into a TO fest like last year's game, it's going to get out of control in a hurry.
We got beat by Ga State. I do see it. Mullen is a better coach than Pruitt. I see it. I hope the curse turns and they play like we usually do against them. Bad. Who knows what this Vols team is capable of? I would never rule out a Vol victory just because we don't know what to expect. All I know is SEC players are different than Ga State players.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:05 EDT »

We got beat by Ga State. I do see it. Mullen is a better coach than Pruitt. I see it. I hope the curse turns and they play like we usually do against them. Bad. Who knows what this Vols team is capable of? I would never rule out a Vol victory just because we don't know what to expect. All I know is SEC players are different than Ga State players.
I've been in the swamp twice when we were big underdogs and WON!
My ticket tomorrow is in the 5th row behind the VOL bench

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 08:16:43 EDT »

All I know is SEC players are different than Ga State players.

And BanditVol accuses me of attempting to master the obvious. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 08:19:22 EDT »

And BanditVol accuses me of attempting to master the obvious. 
I started to respond "Thanks Kaptain Obvious" to its post

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 09:37:30 EDT »

All I know is SEC players are different than Ga State players.

Wonder how many GaState players had flown on an airplane before they came to Knoxville to play?   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 12:41:41 EDT »

practice observations indicate an emphasis on getting outside such as jet sweeps stretch plays (think BYU) erc

I'll be surprised if we can beat FL on the edges.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 07:41:30 EDT »

I'll be surprised if we can beat FL on the edges.

Yeah we gotta try running right at them.  But whatever works.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: