VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 12:43:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I said before the season that it would take 9 wins for me to stay behind Dooley  (Read 8294 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:28:49 EDT »

...and I'll stick with that.  But I now have no faith that that will happen.  So when we get our 4th loss (which I'm guessing will, appropriately, come against bammer), I'm out. 

It's going to get ugly over the next few weeks.  It seems like Vol fans have been at war with each other since about 2005, and it's about to get worse.  For those who are now ready to see Dooley fired and those like me who will be, I would only ask one thing: Don't take any of this personally, and don't GET personal.  Dooley has upgraded our roster across the board, and for the most part, taken our guys out of the police blotter.  You're now more likely to read an article about Vol players building a Habitat for Humanity house, rather than robbing one.  The palace that is our new practice facility came about in large part thanks to Dooley.  The man inherited a dumpster fire, and he will be leaving us in much, much better shape than he found us.  Let's not lose sight of that.  There's no need so call the man names or read something sinister into everything he says.  Save your vitriol for those really deserve it, like the coach who lost to Stanford last night. 

I think it's now clear that Dooley has taken this program as far as he can, and his regime will be coming to end after this season.  Let's all try to make it as dignified an ending as possible.  Please?

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:32:16 EDT »

I'd like 9 wins but I think 8 under the best circumstances is the best they can do. I'd give Dooley another year with an 8-4 record. If they go 7-5 or 6-6 out the door Dooley should go!
CDD reminds Me of Sparky Woods at South Carolina or Rockey Felker at Mississippi State
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:34:11 EDT by WoodstockVol » Logged

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47:00 EDT »

I would be OK with 8 wins.........................I just want us to look solid against descent competition.............OH YEAH, AND WIN SOME OF THEM

Go Big Orange.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:50:18 EDT »

I would be OK with 8 wins.........................I just want us to look solid against descent competition.............OH YEAH, AND WIN SOME OF THEM

If they Had the internet in the early 80s,I don't think Johnny Majors would have lasted as Coach past 1982.

Tennessee was 4-7 1977,5-5-1 in 1978, 7-5 in 1979,5-6 in 1980,8-4 in 1981 and 6-5-1 in 1982

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:16 EDT »

In a way I feel bad for Dooley. Everyone knows that he inherited a horrible situation. But then I think of how much money he is making and his buyout and some of the arrogant answers he has given to legitimate questions and all that goes out the window. Oh well, I hoped that things would turn out better for everyone but it doesn't look like they will. About the only thing that would save him now, IMO, is a win over Bama and that is very unlikely. A win over Georgia would be great but we all know that Mark Richt has a long and inglorious history with riding that program like a rollercoaster. Up one year, down the next. It just doesn't prove anything to beat Georgia. It's either Florida (too late now), Bama (extremely unlikely) or LSU (not on the schedule).
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:37:40 EDT »

Good post BDV.

I will say that I was glad I didn't hear a crescendo of boos on Saturday night, so maybe there's hope?   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:30:20 EDT »

based on what I saw, we are better than last year, and IMO will go 8-4. This team will be better on defense as we move forward.

Still think CDD needs to get rid of Chaney and hire a OC who knows the SEC

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:00:34 EDT »

I'm in agreement with BDV for the most part. Inherited a terrible situation. I do think he needs another year for two. Cheney needs to go IMO. The run game is really non-existent. The line has improved for the most part but we still don't see them blowing people off the ball like we did when Mike Barry was the line coach. I thinkthe real problem with the run game is twofold. One, I don't know how much emphasis is really puton it, but the real problem is the backs are not hitting the hole at breakneck speed on a consistant basis. When they do most of the time good things happen. When they don't well...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:10:28 EDT »

I'm in agreement with BDV for the most part. Inherited a terrible situation. I do think he needs another year for two. Cheney needs to go IMO. The run game is really non-existent. The line has improved for the most part but we still don't see them blowing people off the ball like we did when Mike Barry was the line coach. I thinkthe real problem with the run game is twofold. One, I don't know how much emphasis is really puton it, but the real problem is the backs are not hitting the hole at breakneck speed on a consistant basis. When they do most of the time good things happen. When they don't well...

What you say is partially true, but the run game is far from "non-existent".  We did a pretty good job with it until we fell so far behind.  Our yardage in the final tally was kind of pitiful, but we had more yards than the last two years combined (which was sadly easy to do), but more important, our yards per carry of 3.8, while not spectacular, is the best against Florida since 2004, when we won.  Our per rush average that year was in fact only 3.9. 

Keep in mind that in 2004 we had Gerald Riggs and Cedric Houston, who, while I love Rajion Neal, were flat out more talented.  I'm not sure what happened to Riggs, he was a bit of  a head case, but Houston did play in the NFL for awhile.  Do you think either Lane or Neal will?  I don't.  So for us to have our best running game performance since 2004 with arguably less talent is something.  It means we are much, much better at running the ball this year, and that gives me hope for the rest of the season.

So does it matter if our backs hit the hole at speed?  Probably,  and like I said,  I love the guy, but I saw Neal get caught from behind twice Saturday on what could have  been very long runs.  I don't think Riggs or Houston would have.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 02:41:06 EDT »

BDV none of this is personal to me.  I have a different view than many of you, but not greatly.  I have said all along that 8 is enough for me and I am sticking by that and I still think it's very possible.   It just depends on how the team responds to Saturday.  They need to admit that they ran out of gas or folded mentally or whatever and address it.

Other people take another view, and I have no problem with that and respect it, and believe me, I understand the frustration.  I think I am just a bit more patient than many, and typically more optimistic than most.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:49:30 EDT »

BDV none of this is personal to me.  I have a different view than many of you, but not greatly.  I have said all along that 8 is enough for me and I am sticking by that and I still think it's very possible.   It just depends on how the team responds to Saturday.  They need to admit that they ran out of gas or folded mentally or whatever and address it.

Other people take another view, and I have no problem with that and respect it, and believe me, I understand the frustration.  I think I am just a bit more patient than many, and typically more optimistic than most.

Well, I mostly speaking to those on my own side of the fence (ie, the pessimists).  I just don't want to see Dooley's final days at UT go down like Fulmers, with people villifying him and blaming him for everything from the national debt to 9/11.  But I know I'm probably just spitting into the wind.

RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 06:13:59 EDT »

We all want him to succedd but until he beats someone of importance than he will just be a subpar coach.

GO VOLS!   
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 01:42:08 EDT »

to the level of depth, talented depth that is, necessary to win the close games. Saturday showed we were exhausted late. Fire Dooley because he couldn't work a miracle in 2 recruiting classes? New coach and we start this miserable journey all over again. I think at least one more year is reasonable.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:15:33 EDT »

Dooley will get another year unless we flame out again like last year. 8-4 and he is back for all the reason BDV listed. Given the state of fiscal affairs at UT he may be back regardless.

The UF game was ours for the taking, but we didn't and they took it from us. I am still not over it and I am not going to be excited about watching a game again until they beat someone besides vandy or ky. I'll probably still watch but my day won't be planned around it and I will lose interest quickly when they start quitting again.

The only thing that makes me ready to fire Dooley on the spot is because of how the team reacts to adversity. Obviously these players are not being pushed hard enough mentally by the coaching staff or they wouldn't fold like that. Either that or the staff is weak minded.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 03:54:34 EDT »

t? New coach and we start this miserable journey all over again.

This

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:27 EDT »

This

Imo, the same logic could be applied to Fulmer's last days.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:59:38 EDT »

Imo, the same logic could be applied to Fulmer's last days.

Exactly!  And how did that turn out?

But this situation is radically different than Fulmer.  Fulmer still had plenty of talent compared to the last few years.

Jean Voljean
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:44 EDT »

Much of the "quit" against Florida, or at least the start of the snowball, was caused by our starters running out of gas because the team doesn't yet have enough depth for Dooley to feel safe subbing sufficiently, unlike Florida has and did.

IMHO, fans can be pretty unfair and unrealistic about how players who are injured or worn out should perform. 

Barring flat out collapse, I hope we stay patient and see how Dooley can really do when he has a full team.  And frankly, I assume he's learning.  We may still end up with a great coach without doing a thing but staying patient.

That's my ignorant opinion.
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:18 EDT »

If they Had the internet in the early 80s,I don't think Johnny Majors would have lasted as Coach past 1982.

Tennessee was 4-7 1977,5-5-1 in 1978, 7-5 in 1979,5-6 in 1980,8-4 in 1981 and 6-5-1 in 1982

Too bad we didn't have the internet back then.

Wherever you go, there you are.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 10:04:17 EDT »

...and I'll stick with that.  But I now have no faith that that will happen.  So when we get our 4th loss (which I'm guessing will, appropriately, come against bammer), I'm out. 

I just noticed, that if you think we get our fourth loss against bammer then you obviously think we lose to MSU.

I really don't think we will.  Troy gave them all they could handle last week.

Although I suppose if you're that pessimistic, you might start worrying about Troy instead, lol, since we play them in November.

MSU is going to be a key game this season.  Right now, I like our odds against them.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 11:42:25 EDT »

I just noticed, that if you think we get our fourth loss against bammer then you obviously think we lose to MSU.

Although I suppose if you're that pessimistic, you might start worrying about Troy instead, lol, since we play them in November.

MSU is going to be a key game this season.  Right now, I like our odds against them.

They're all key games at this point.

Here's my stance..I don't believe in Dooley but I'm not going to spend much emotion on him.  I'll be at every home game enjoying them with my Dad.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 01:36:56 EDT »

I'll believe we can beat a quality SEC opponent when we beat a quality SEC opponent.  Until then, I'll be expecting a loss in every league game except UK and Vandy.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: